3200 GT Error oil level light

davy83

How big is the washer bottle then? i just assumed it was an after thought and was really small!!!! Its pain to fill as well the filler hose it too small.

Time for a new washer bottle then, last time I looked they were in stock at Eurospares and not to expensive, get one before they run out.

Rex B

davy83

I must have a look at this properly, i have only had that liner off once i think and didn't pay much attention to the washer bottle at the time! So from what you say I can fix it and it wont be empty all the time, who hoo!! got the right weather for a job like that too :) I have only been living with this for 12 years. mmmm.....

There's nothing to stop the filler pipe into the washer bottle pushing into the bottle so far that the opening of the pipe is flush against the opposite wall. This results in an overflow when filling the washers once the pipe is full. Later it will trickle into the bottle but will be used up in no time. I'm sure you already know this Davy - but it's worth mentioning for the benefit of new readers.
The solution is just to pull the pipe out of the bottle a bit - or go the whole hog and put a jubilee clip on to stop it happening again. The bottle is behind the front wheel arch liner on the filler side.
Steve.

CatmanV2

I think it's about 5 or 6 liters but where I got that number from, I have no idea....

C

MRichards

Hi Phil,
You posted this, " If the garage forecourt is not completely level, the oil level reading will be wrong." The statement is not correct. According to the description of the system in the Maserati 3200 workshop manual,any fuel addition less than 15 litres is ignored for checking purposes. This is logical (never thought I'd call an Italian "logical") to allow for any small deviations in level ground.

RSM Masser

The oil level on 3200s is checked when the petrol flap is open. If the garage forecourt is not completely level, the oil level reading will be wrong. That's why you mainly see the warning come on when at the petrol station!

My local garage forecourt is very steep and this happens regularly, unsurprisingly it never makes 5 trips to the garage without opening the bonnet. I doubt it makes 5 trips!!!

As for the washer bottle - what a nightmare to fill that is, I've tried everything it really is ridiculously difficult to fill

Mott The Hoople

My local garage forecourt is very steep and this happens regularly, unsurprisingly it never makes 5 trips to the garage without opening the bonnet. I doubt it makes 5 trips!!!

As for the washer bottle - what a nightmare to fill that is, I’ve tried everything it really is ridiculously difficult to fill

I have a funnel I keep in the boot specifically for that job. (And others for oil and for coolant.)

davy83

I have a bottle with a long thin hose that i shove down into the fill port and let it siphon, i leave it for hours, it kind of works. Less stressful than standing there trying to fill it slowly!!

I have a set in the garage for the same!

C

alfatwo

There no longer available.. You could try a Alfa 75 or Alfa 90 part and modify the wiring, that's if your very lucky and find a new one!

Dave

MRichards

Dave, what would be the result if you disconnected the oil level sensor ? Since it's a hot wire sensor which increases resistance if it heats up because it's not immersed in oil,triggering the warning light,no change in resistance once disconnected would stop the warning light. ATM my warning light has decided not to appear,but I reckon it will probably come back in time.

alfatwo

Dave, what would be the result if you disconnected the oil level sensor ? Since it's a hot wire sensor which increases resistance if it heats up because it's not immersed in oil,triggering the warning light,no change in resistance once disconnected would stop the warning light. ATM my warning light has decided not to appear,but I reckon it will probably come back in time.

I recon it would show a fault code, as the ECU would sense there's no resistance on that circuit what so ever, as there must be a base setting

I've had this on mine, it comes and go's, once you know what it is I just ignore it!

Dave