3200 GT Error oil level light

MRichards

My year 2000 3200GT has an Error Oil Level light come on while engine warm after driving. Oil level is definitely OK. Oil pressure is also OK

Does the hot wire sensor fail ? Eurospares lists a new sensor,subject to availability.
Is the sensor common to other cars,e.g.,Ferrari or Alfa Romeo ?

A key word search of this site didn't throw up any references,so assume this is not a common fault.

Any advice welcome.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well it sounds like your on the right track, what I would do first is check the wiring as the sensor may be a difficult one to replace.

The engine bay in the 3200 runs very hot and due to its age, the wiring will be getting to a 'crispy' state.

The way to check the sensor will be to locate it, disconnect it and run a multimeter to it and monitor its output when recreating the error.

If you check the output hot and cold you will get the hi and low voltage/resistance numbers for normal operation.

madmanmart

I’m going with the sensor failure. Very common problem.

I’ve got a genuine one here I’d sell for £200.

Contigo

Sponsor
The Error oil light comes on every fourth or 5th fill up (fuel) if the bonnet hasn't also been opened. It should go off eventually if all the levels are ok.

conaero

Forum Owner
Thanks Phil, I had forgotten as my 3200 days are committed to history and I had forgotten that fact but you are quite right now you mention it.

alfatwo

My year 2000 3200GT has an Error Oil Level light come on while engine warm after driving. Oil level is definitely OK. Oil pressure is also OK

Does the hot wire sensor fail ? Eurospares lists a new sensor,subject to availability.
Is the sensor common to other cars,e.g.,Ferrari or Alfa Romeo ?

A key word search of this site didn't throw up any references,so assume this is not a common fault.

Any advice welcome.

Mine did the same, I just ignored it, as the light went out after a few minutes

Its very similar to the Alfa 75 TS part but with a longer wiring loom and different connector and there not easy to get to down there behind the alternator!

Dave

MRichards

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.
I found a reference in the workshop manual,Electrical Section,page 30,which refers to the link between fuel load and sensor operation,paragraph 2 engine oil level inputs. Pin A12 -A13.
ATM I'm ignoring the light until I'm ready to tackle removing the sensor,hiding behind the alternator.
Thanks for the offer,madmanmart,but Eurospares will sell me a new sensor for about GBP 21

madmanmart

Not I typo, I misread that you’d got a oil pressure problem.

If you could get oil pressure sensors for £21 I’d be buying ten lol

davy83

David Askew, has reasonably priced oil pressure units, so no worries. I am sure he would gladly sell you ten of them.

Not I typo, I misread that you’d got a oil pressure problem.

If you could get oil pressure sensors for £21 I’d be buying ten lol

alfatwo

The Error oil light comes on every fourth or 5th fill up (fuel) if the bonnet hasn't also been opened. It should go off eventually if all the levels are ok.

Nice one Phil, I've just read it in the manual, strange logic though!

Dave

Rex B

Mine does this, l think the logic is it actually gets you to check the oil using the dipstick as 3200's do use oil so its sort of a safeguard.

Rex B
'

davy83

my car does not have periodic oil level lights, but then 5 fill ups without opening the bonnet, never happens, the window washer bottle empties every 10 minutes, so bonnets up and down like a yoyo.

Rex B

Time for a new washer bottle then, last time I looked they were in stock at Eurospares and not to expensive, get one before they run out.

Rex B

MRichards

Although my engine uses a negligible amount of oil,I still need to frequently open the bonnet,so the weird logic would not have operated in my case. I find the workings of this car a constant source of amazement,thank God I'm not Italian.

alfatwo

Although my engine uses a negligible amount of oil,I still need to frequently open the bonnet,so the weird logic would not have operated in my case. I find the workings of this car a constant source of amazement,thank God I'm not Italian.

Ok then, a question, so how does the cars electronic systems know say after four or five fuel stops without the bonnet being opened put the light on

The only thing it knows is when you press the petrol flap button in the glovebox! it also knows when the bonnets been opened because of the alarm/immobilizer switch

Dave

Contigo

Sponsor
The oil level on 3200s is checked when the petrol flap is open. If the garage forecourt is not completely level, the oil level reading will be wrong. That's why you mainly see the warning come on when at the petrol station!

Mott The Hoople

There's nothing to stop the filler pipe into the washer bottle pushing into the bottle so far that the opening of the pipe is flush against the opposite wall. This results in an overflow when filling the washers once the pipe is full. Later it will trickle into the bottle but will be used up in no time. I'm sure you already know this Davy - but it's worth mentioning for the benefit of new readers.
The solution is just to pull the pipe out of the bottle a bit - or go the whole hog and put a jubilee clip on to stop it happening again. The bottle is behind the front wheel arch liner on the filler side.
Steve.