Daily driver BMW options

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Golf R? Easily tuneable to over 400bhp, 4 wheel drive, small and relatively light. I’m looking at going that way when I replace the naggers soot chucker next year.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Golf R? Easily tuneable to over 400bhp, 4 wheel drive, small and relatively light. I’m looking at going that way when I replace the naggers soot chucker next year.

I have looked.
The Mrs has had Golf's and A3's as company cars, and after my 320d snapped its timing chain last summer I was given a Jetta.
All the above diesels though.
A Golf R, even with the power, a bit samey!

Andyk

It does.
However compared to this BMW 140i I am interested in:

https://www.thegticentreltd.co.uk/used-bmw-1-series-cars-in-huddersfield

The BMW is a year younger at 12 months and no miles to speak of, but £7K more...
Would the BMW be worth the same as the Alfa or more when 2 years old with the same 26K mileage?

Just me Mike but the Alfa doesn't do a thing for me against the other cars you are looking at. Certainly you will have more fun in the M140 and the others being rear wheel drive. I had the Alfa as a hire car in Italy and found it underwhelming and the interior was cheap and nasty......The Alfa magic I felt in my GTVs just wasn't there. Just my thoughts though as sure others will love it.

zagatoes30

I like the power and performance of the M140 but I find them really bland style wise but then again I don't like the Giulietta either.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Going into Huddersfield this morning for some shopping, so will be calling at a couple of dealers who have M140i's for sale.
Will probably call into some others while in town, this weather is not good for test drives though.

outrun

Not the best looking thing the M140 though. I'd be having an Audi s3 over one I think. Actually, I wouldn't buy either but of course, that's just me!

I'm starting to think about what to do when my leased Volvo expires in August. No company car tax issues to worry about, I don't put it through as it's not really worth it.

These are the options that I'm looking in to:-

1) Buy the car at end of lease, price dependent
2) Lease another car - Alfa Guilia Veloce is currently top of the list
3) Buy something that's done a bit of its depreciation - Golf GTI, Ghibli, Alpina BMW, Volvo v60 Polestar
4) Go bangernomics for a while - pay less than 2k for something cool - old 5er, Honda, saab convertible

None of them seem like better options than the others.

Contigo

Sponsor
For me, the 335d is prop the best car on the road
Power
Economy
4 wheel drive
Practicality

As an all rounder yes but the fact it is a diesel means it is already bad and will be dead in a few years. I'd go with the M5 XDrive as an alternative.

Contigo

Sponsor
Not the best looking thing the M140 though. I'd be having an Audi s3 over one I think. Actually, I wouldn't buy either but of course, that's just me!

I'm starting to think about what to do when my leased Volvo expires in August. No company car tax issues to worry about, I don't put it through as it's not really worth it.

These are the options that I'm looking in to:-

1) Buy the car at end of lease, price dependent
2) Lease another car - Alfa Guilia Veloce is currently top of the list
3) Buy something that's done a bit of its depreciation - Golf GTI, Ghibli, Alpina BMW, Volvo v60 Polestar
4) Go bangernomics for a while - pay less than 2k for something cool - old 5er, Honda, saab convertible

None of them seem like better options than the others.

Buy a modern classic (something uber reliable) that is depreciation free and ever may appreciate, you get to drive round in a very cool car and also reap the financial benefits.

outrun

Those Passats cost untold fortunes to repair. A friend has one and it's a nightmare. That's why they're cheap.

The Merc is Fugly.