Daily driver BMW options

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I need to get myself a new daily before the end of next week.
I've now officially finished with my old employer handing back the company car today, and start my new job week on Monday.
As I get a car allowance, I'm free to choose.
As posted previously I did get the somewhat wild idea of an Abarth 595, but really, they are too small, doing probably 20K a year.
Was also considering an Alfa, but again, concerned over reliability for the mileage, and the residual value with high miles.
So having one great Italian car as a toy, and something German for the daily, is probably sensible...
I've had BMW company cars for the last 13 years, always diesel, MSport models, and I do prefer the rear wheel drive compared the front wheel drive the Mrs has.
As i'm no longer constrained to BIK, can be petrol or diesel, and greater than 2lt. Yippee!
Don't want a lease (new job, not sure on the actual mileage a year)
Don't want a PCP for the same reason.
So looking at something approx a year old having lost the initial depreciation, plenty of warranty left, and buying partly cash/loan, budget max around £20-25K

Regarding BMW's, i'm finding the following interesting:

M140i 3 door. The smallest option, insanely quick, straight six twin turbo, over 300BHP, and probably the last time I could have such a car as a daily while the kids are relatively smallish. Danger that it could be a better drive than the Maser though...

335d X-Drive Touring. The sensible choice. I've always had Tourings, although not as big inside as you would imagine. Again insanely quick, 4x4, but another soot chucker!

4** Grand coupe. Half way house maybe?

Given a free hand makes the decision more difficult!
I could, surprisingly, buy an early Maserati Ghibli for £25K it appears, but that would be silly, right? (running cost, warranty etc)

I am really drawn to the M140i though. Incredible VFM second hand...

Wack61

I don't really understand the tax implications of company cars but if the M140i won't cripple you in tax why not , a drivers car as a daily sounds perfect to me , I loved driving my Impreza because I had total confidence in it and it was very enjoyable to drive , same goes for the MX5.

I think I'd need more than a 5 mile drive round the block with it to make sure it was suitable for family use though

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I have a BMW 440i with MPPSK. This makes it a riot to drive ans makes a lot of noise.

Same engine as the M140i then.

I don't really understand the tax implications of company cars but if the M140i won't cripple you in tax why not , a drivers car as a daily sounds perfect to me , I loved driving my Impreza because I had total confidence in it and it was very enjoyable to drive , same goes for the MX5.

I think I'd need more than a 5 mile drive round the block with it to make sure it was suitable for family use though

Basically with having a car allowance you are taxed as additional income, the car you decide to fund with the money, makes no difference.
As long as the kids can fit in the back, sorted, we always have the Mrs V40 to use too, over 80% of the time it will just be me inside.
See, I'm talking myself into one!

MrMickS

I wouldn't be concerned about Alfa reliability these days. I had no issues with the Giulietta I had and put 42k miles on it in a couple of years. The Alfa = unreliable myth is just that these days.

You're only going to get a 180HP diesel or 200HP petrol in your price range though. Having had a BMW 4 series as a courtesy car from JCT I'd say that the Giulia interior is a match for it. Lots of horrid black plastic in the Beamer.

Andyk

All your choices are great cars. I was going to say 3 series Tourer .... Looks good and versatile but the M140 is a real hoot...A friend bought one when he sold his E46 M3 and he prefers it...More comfort and quicker than the old M3 .... He is loving it.

I was looking at a Grancoupe before I got the Jaguar but it was going to cost more as a company car so didn't go that route. Lovely interior and felt sporty to drive.

I would struggle to choose buddy but would get out and try all and see what suits .....

Isn't it weird as I thought the opposite....Horrid plastic in the Alfa and much better quality in the BMW.....How we all see something different Mick....Though the BMW felt better put together than the Alfa....

rockits

Does it need to be an Estate or Hatch? How about a 3.0 Supercharged Jag XE or S5 3.0 V6 TT. Both should be in budget I would have thought.

How many miles will you be doing pa?

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I wouldn't be concerned about Alfa reliability these days. I had no issues with the Giulietta I had and put 42k miles on it in a couple of years. The Alfa = unreliable myth is just that these days.

You're only going to get a 180HP diesel or 200HP petrol in your price range though. Having had a BMW 4 series as a courtesy car from JCT I'd say that the Giulia interior is a match for it. Lots of horrid black plastic in the Beamer.

Regarding an Alfa, I am drawn to this however...
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi... Verde&sort=price-desc&postcode=hd92nh&page=2
Well within budget.
A low spec Ghibli no good really when you already have a nice one in the garage.

All your choices are great cars. I was going to say 3 series Tourer .... Looks good and versatile but the M140 is a real hoot...A friend bought one when he sold his E46 M3 and he prefers it...More comfort and quicker than the old M3 .... He is loving it.

I was looking at a Grancoupe before I got the Jaguar but it was going to cost more as a company car so didn't go that route. Lovely interior and felt sporty to drive.

I would struggle to choose buddy but would get out and try all and see what suits .....

Isn't it weird as I thought the opposite....Horrid plastic in the Alfa and much better quality in the BMW.....How we all see something different Mick....Though the BMW felt better put together than the Alfa....

This weather is no good at the moment to test drive! Snowed in presently and kids off school for a second day.

It's yonks since I bought a car from a dealer, what sort of discount can you expect on secondhand used cars with no PX?

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Be brave Michael, go Ghibli. If it's depreciating heavily in say 6-9 months time, swap out of it. The best price point to get in at is a 15/15 with 2-3 months warranty remaining that you can then extend. It'll be possible to get one around £28k. Like the one with 5500 on it at Bespokes of London, with 25k miles on it in a year it has to be worth at least £24-25k.... Nice colour combo, good wheels, paddles.... Don't deny that has to get the heart racing more than a BMW.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Be brave Michael, go Ghibli. If it’s depreciating heavily in say 6-9 months time, swap out of it. The best price point to get in at is a 15/15 with 2-3 months warranty remaining that you can then extend. It’ll be possible to get one around £28k. Like the one with 5500 on it at Bespokes of London, with 25k miles on it in a year it has to be worth at least £24-25k.... Nice colour combo, good wheels, paddles.... Don’t deny that has to get the heart racing more than a BMW.

That does look nice I have to admit.
If I bought it, would have to park around the corner on my first day at work!

Andyk

Agree with Dicky, a Ghibli as an everyday car now prices are down is one to get the heart racing. Diesels seem to be dropping like a stone and high miles ones start at 22k .... patrols seem to be more and start around 25/26k. Lovely S version for sale private and 29k.....Seems like a bargain.

Scaf

It's yonks since I bought a car from a dealer, what sort of discount can you expect on secondhand used cars with no PX?

In my limited experience getting discounts on cars has become much harder. Try know everyone looks on the net and so pricing starts out much more competitive.

Buying this week, in the snow will help as they will be devoid of customers for sure.

Getting add ons - extra warranty - paint coating etc are easybthrow ins for them

If you Finance it they will be more flexible as they will be making a turn on the finance deal as well as the car.

Good luck

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Does it need to be an Estate or Hatch? How about a 3.0 Supercharged Jag XE or S5 3.0 V6 TT. Both should be in budget I would have thought.

How many miles will you be doing pa?

Estate or hatch, doesn't matter.
Mileage would be around 20K a year.
I don't want to go too old for warranty reasons, or spending load on an extended warranty.
There is certainly a massive choice for sure.

conaero

Forum Owner
Ghibli is looking like a really good buy as a daily and I am tempted. The only downside is I feel for the members who own them who it obviously cheeses off right now.

Andyk

It was bound to happen I suppose Matt.....Lots for sale which isn't normal Maserati territory.......

TridentTested

No question for me, if I was in the same position it would be a Ghibli or an Alfa.

Congratulations on the new job, you don't mention if it will be customer facing? Rocking up in a Maserati makes a certain statement which might, or might not, suit the company's image.

One of the shopfitters I once employed was owned by a chap driving a top of the line XJ, at the time this was one of the best luxury cars on the road; it was the first time I saw and used a car phone. I once asked him if it caused any problems arriving for meetings in such a posh car. His reply was interesting, firstly he always wanted one and decided life was too short to bother about his customers' feelings but then he discovered he was mostly dealing with middle managers and they all aspired to owning a nice car one day, that worked in his favour.

A Ghibli might be just right.

MrMickS

Ghibli is looking like a really good buy as a daily and I am tempted. The only downside is I feel for the members who own them who it obviously cheeses off right now.

Oddly I'm not cheesed off. If you wait long enough you can always get a better deal. If I'd have waited until now I'd have paid less but I'd have missed out on two years of fun and messing about in cars with some of you lot. That's worth whatever the saving I could have made.

In the end the deal I made for my Ghibli was what I considered a good deal at the time and I do use it as my daily most of the time. Life is to be enjoyed and these cars aren't going to be around forever. I'm glad to be having the fun I am whilst I can.

iainw

Oddly I'm not cheesed off. If you wait long enough you can always get a better deal. If I'd have waited until now I'd have paid less but I'd have missed out on two years of fun and messing about in cars with some of you lot. That's worth whatever the saving I could have made.

In the end the deal I made for my Ghibli was what I considered a good deal at the time and I do use it as my daily most of the time. Life is to be enjoyed and these cars aren't going to be around forever. I'm glad to be having the fun I am whilst I can.

Agree with your attitude Mick - its the best one to have. No one has a crystal ball - and if you enjoy it and keep it long enough it evens itself out.
Maserati now have what they seem to want -something available to (lucky) mass market. But I don't think they got the sales to match.
Its a shame they couldn't keep their business model afloat trading in unique cars which stir the soul and are rare on the road.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
No question for me, if I was in the same position it would be a Ghibli or an Alfa.

Congratulations on the new job, you don't mention if it will be customer facing? Rocking up in a Maserati makes a certain statement which might, or might not, suit the company's image.

One of the shopfitters I once employed was owned by a chap driving a top of the line XJ, at the time this was one of the best luxury cars on the road; it was the first time I saw and used a car phone. I once asked him if it caused any problems arriving for meetings in such a posh car. His reply was interesting, firstly he always wanted one and decided life was too short to bother about his customers' feelings but then he discovered he was mostly dealing with middle managers and they all aspired to owning a nice car one day, that worked in his favour.

A Ghibli might be just right.

Yes customer facing, although usually parking in a large factory car park.
I would feel uncomfortable turning up in a Ghibli TBH.
I once turned up on site in the 4200 and it was the talk on site for months!