Home Workshop/Garage Respray

rockits

Indeed....Im sure he will be OK with it. I'm sure I'll be better at spraying it that he would be

zagatoes30

One diamond trick I self taught myself (that I have not seen repeated) was regarding the window rubbers. You can remove the windows and rubbers (PITA) or keep them put and thread a length of plastic tube behind the lip to lift them off the bodywork. That 6mm (or so) plastic drip watering hose would be perfect. The paint then goes behind the rubbers. A little OCD maybe?

Enjoy the process!

Seen that done in a classic workshop where they didn't want to remove rubbers that are near impossible to replace.

Kerry1448

Morning Dean
We used to make prototype cars for motor shows
and development, which were mainly constructed of
firbreglass amoungst other things .
It totally depends on the standard you are looking for , if its show car
Standard forget it , but if it's nice and glossy probably do able at home .
Working with firbreglass is a different animal to steel a car and requires use of
materials and techniques not normally used in body shops .
Lotus are the worlds leading experts at this and they spent 40 years getting it right .
There is too many do's and donts to list here but outlay is a major draw back .
Most professional body shops will have three sets of spray guns , primer, base and top coat.
Also at least two spray ovens ,base and top coat . Then there's sanders with extraction
a absolute must .
I was at AC for a few years when they developed the lightweight carbon Cobra and I seem to remember they had three spray areas , but they were probably the best I've ever seen ,.An awful lot depends on curing time and temps with fibreglass .Basic highlighting skills are quite important as well , once again not rocket science but takes a bit of practise .
Personally I would do the prep and get it sprayed at a body shop .
Let me know if you require anymore info , happy to help

rockits

Thanks for the info and advice. Much appreciated. It would make sense to use a local body shop & do all the prep. It just seems to make so much sense getting the shell sprayed while it is bare. Just means it needs transporting as a shell which is a bit more awkward I guess.

If anyone knows a good body shop experienced in spraying fibre glass in the Hertfordshire area I'm more than happy to have a chat.

rockits

I have had a think & totally missed something obvious as a solution to this one. Surely a wrap would be a better & more cost effective solution than a respray?

Anyone know any good places that wrap cars Potters Bar/Herts way?