looking at a change of car !

martininkent

hi,
iam still a current and practising engineer, (cant retire yet a bit to young and still love tinkering )
iam thinking of going over to a Maserati, my present and last car was a bmw 645 v8 convertible and I rebuilt both in the last 3 years,, I have had a Ferrari mondial (rebuilt that also ) 10 years ago, Porsche 911 and 928s4, so I have always had power cars, but I do like the Maserati year 2007 , quattroportte 4 door,
so the magic question,
what's your the opinions of the performance, not the book figures the drive its self and dare I ask the reliability, ? and any other input would help me decide
thanks

TridentTested

I've driven a friend's 308, which I guess feels similar to a Mondial, but they're cars from a different era and appeal for different reasons, I don't see them as comparable with a QP. Your other cars I have no experience of.

The QP, version 5 (2007), is one of the best more reliable cars Maserati have ever made. In my six years with mine the only thing which has gone wrong was a coil pack packed up - the RAC man diagnosed it as a *** part.

Mattp

Mines a 2006 DS QP sport, I'm just over 4 months in and it's excelled in every area... they say not to meet your heroes, but in this case I couldn't be happier (other than the running costs, but that's something I went into with my eyes open to)

Performance, it's quick... surprisingly so for such a big car, and the handling too... was a surprise, driving you could be convinced that it was a much smaller car.

My friends all took the ****... but after trying it... everyone came away smiling!!!

It's worth buying one... if just to enjoy the sound at WOT!

voicey

If you're in Hythe then feel free to stop by for a chat and some buying advice.

martininkent

ok great , dont want to bore you but i have rebuilt to ferrari engines from 3.2 Quattrovalvoles, and various gearboxes , porsche 928 s4 porsche 911 3.3 all from complete strip down to bear blocks, and many many volvo hgv truck and engines , the idea of just airing my experience is not to try to be a big head , honestly , it is just so you have some idea of my technical ability and my background that's why i like to do everything myself, i have only 3 months ago stripped and rebored my 2nd bmw 645 ci and rebuilt the engine on that, bmw charge a fortune to rebuild one of these N47 engines they quoted my friend a fortune just to do the valve stem seals, as they fail on the n47 v8 and smoke on tickover, i think i know where you are, are you there saturdays, or shall i call before i pop in ? thanks

god i just read that back ,i sound like a right knob,,, :shocked:

rockits

Looks nice. Once you factor in a new clutch it is not so cheap though. Decent mileage & good spec but I'm still not a fan of the black interiors on Maser's although they seem to work on a GT OK. Especially with half leather & alcatara. A 4200, GS or QP for me seems to suit a lighter interior such as tan or cream. Makes a million dollars of difference IMHO.

Imagine that with Avorio leather....lovely.

I also prefer a slush box in a big executive waggon. Seems to suit the car better to me. My opinion of course & bit right or wrong. Each to their own.

Ewan

At 72% the clutch could go soon, but on the other hand, could easily do another 10k miles or more. So I'd say the car is very fairly priced, and is considerably cheaper than an auto QP of similar miles. For what's it's worth, I prefer the DS box, even on the QP. The one feature I didn't like on my GTS, and the only nail it it's coffin, was that it had an auto box as opposed to the DS of my three previous QP's. That said, I live in the countryside and virtually never drive any of my sports cars or Masers in any cities or traffic (which is the one time the auto box does provide a genuine advantage).

Anyway, given your mechanical skills, in due course you could change the clutch yourself for a very reasonable cost. After all, the expense is in the labour, not the parts. So don't let that 72% figure bother you in the slightest. If you like everything else on the car, go for it.

At the very least it's worth giving it a look over and test drive, especially if it's local to you.

martininkent

https://www.gumtree.com/p/maserati/...gt-full-automatic-lovely-condition/1289013205

thanks for the advise and info Ewan,
no he is miles away staffordshire, shame , i think the zf is for me,

i have made a offer on this, mileage is a bit higher than i would like but iam on a bit of a budget, may other projects, but i would like the zf box version, blue rocker cover engine with wet sump, my bmw has a zf hp6 very strong box,
what eqip should this car have as standard ? thanks

Andyk

https://www.gumtree.com/p/maserati/...gt-full-automatic-lovely-condition/1289013205

thanks for the advise and info Ewan,
no he is miles away staffordshire, shame , i think the zf is for me,

i have made a offer on this, mileage is a bit higher than i would like but iam on a bit of a budget, may other projects, but i would like the zf box version, blue rocker cover engine with wet sump, my bmw has a zf hp6 very strong box,
what eqip should this car have as standard ? thanks

Now that's a great looking car and a Sport GT so the right model....Hope it goes well for you.