New year's resolution (/midlife crisis) achieved...

WaveyDavey

My new year's resolution was to stop driving boring cars. Last weekend I finally achieved this goal thanks to the following:

(This is Richard Grace's photo, I haven't had a chance to take a picture in the daylight yet.)

I've had some fun cars in the past, and I currently have a heavily modified 200SX track car that I don't have time to drive, but day-to-day I've lately been losing the will to live in boring diesels.

A change in workplace meant I no longer needed a car for work, meaning I should have one for fun instead. Weirdly, my wife was completely supportive of the idea, too. But it had to have 4 seats so that she and my 5yo son could enjoy it with me.

I never dreamed I would be able to afford to buy something as exotic, charismatic and jaw-droppingly gorgeous as a GranTurismo, and running it may very well ruin me ... but it will be a lot of fun on the way down.

The keen-eyed may recognise this GTS MC Shift as Mr Felonious Crud's previous car (though I bought if off Richard Grace); that the car was known on a forum like this, and cared for by such an enthusiastic owner for a long time, was one of the factors that made me realise this was the car to buy. I think I had called Richard within 30mins of him listing the advert last Friday, and it was only the snow that prevented me travelling to Chester to take a look before Sunday. I drove it home that night.

I've since put a few hundred miles on her and have been grinning every minute.

Inevitably, it's already been a bit Italian: the internal movement sensor for the alarm appears to be defective (which Richard is dealing with very promptly), and I've noticed a very rapid squeak from (I think) the rear of the car over road undulations (not even necessarily proper bumps). It comes and goes, generally only when warmed up, and it's not wheel-speed related. I suspect it needs a squirt of WD into the ARB bushes or something - I will have a poke this weekend.

Anyway, I've already found this forum to be welcoming, educational and entertaining; I hope to be able to contribute in the same vein.
-Dave

Attachments

• maserati-granturismo-s-S3357007-4.jpg
    maserati-granturismo-s-S3357007-4.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 106

alfatwo

My new year's resolution was to stop driving boring cars. Last weekend I finally achieved this goal thanks to the following:

(This is Richard Grace's photo, I haven't had a chance to take a picture in the daylight yet.)

I've had some fun cars in the past, and I currently have a heavily modified 200SX track car that I don't have time to drive, but day-to-day I've lately been losing the will to live in boring diesels.

A change in workplace meant I no longer needed a car for work, meaning I should have one for fun instead. Weirdly, my wife was completely supportive of the idea, too. But it had to have 4 seats so that she and my 5yo son could enjoy it with me.

I never dreamed I would be able to afford to buy something as exotic, charismatic and jaw-droppingly gorgeous as a GranTurismo, and running it may very well ruin me ... but it will be a lot of fun on the way down.

The keen-eyed may recognise this GTS MC Shift as Mr Felonious Crud's previous car (though I bought if off Richard Grace); that the car was known on a forum like this, and cared for by such an enthusiastic owner for a long time, was one of the factors that made me realise this was the car to buy. I think I had called Richard within 30mins of him listing the advert last Friday, and it was only the snow that prevented me travelling to Chester to take a look before Sunday. I drove it home that night.

I've since put a few hundred miles on her and have been grinning every minute.

Inevitably, it's already been a bit Italian: the internal movement sensor for the alarm appears to be defective (which Richard is dealing with very promptly), and I've noticed a very rapid squeak from (I think) the rear of the car over road undulations (not even necessarily proper bumps). It comes and goes, generally only when warmed up, and it's not wheel-speed related. I suspect it needs a squirt of WD into the ARB bushes or something - I will have a poke this weekend.

Anyway, I've already found this forum to be welcoming, educational and entertaining; I hope to be able to contribute in the same vein.
-Dave

That's very nice Dave, lovely colour

Dave

safrane

Welcome Dave.

I promised to lose a few lbs, and I achieved that following the service of my GS.

Hope the noise dissappears soon.

Ewan

A thing of beauty.

Don't worry about the occasional squeak. Just press the Sport button and you'll no longer hear it.

WaveyDavey

A thing of beauty.

Don't worry about the occasional squeak. Just press the Sport button and you'll no longer hear it.

If it was occasional it would be a problem, but when it's in a squeaking mood it's almost continuous. Sounds like the tyres are full of budgies!

outrun

Adam did an excellent job of screwing that thing back together.....

Just kidding! Enjoy, it's a nice looking thing.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
If it was occasional it would be a problem, but when it's in a squeaking mood it's almost continuous. Sounds like the tyres are full of budgies!

Oh THAT’s where the budgies are! Could have sworn I took them out.

More seriously, that’s a new one. Pre-selling to RG it had a squeak-free 200+ miles drive up to Manchester, so I’m a bit baffled about what could be squeaking. The suspension on these can be a bit creaky, but generally a couple of quick creaks when cold and it clears up. Let’s us know what you find out.

FF1078

Wel doone Dave on your new purchase.
You'll have many miles of smiles in the coming years with that.

My old GT used to squeak everynow and again and it always used to be on roundabouts. The MD put some WD or silicone spray on the bushes and it went.

BuckRog64

Very nice. Chances are the squeak is simply bushes or something, where the car has perhaps sat a few days in the big freeze we've just had, and will disappear with use and/or a dose of WD40.

azapa

Welcome and congratulations. Your nick on here reminds me of Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.

Enjoy the car! BTW i'd not put oil on rubber bushings, the petrochems make 'em crack. There are some other products I can't remember right now, maybe graphite? Anyway. open the windows, hit sport mode, and the whole world disappears bar that engine note!

WaveyDavey

Welcome and congratulations. Your nick on here reminds me of Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer.

Enjoy the car! BTW i'd not put oil on rubber bushings, the petrochems make 'em crack. There are some other products I can't remember right now, maybe graphite? Anyway. open the windows, hit sport mode, and the whole world disappears bar that engine note!

You're right of course, I've got some silicone spray for things like this.

It was very (VERY) wet when I drove 160 or so miles home last weekend - and pretty much every drive since. Not sure if this washed out any previous lube.

-

Thanks for the welcome and compliments, all!