Milk deliveries

RSM Masser

So just watched the news with a milkman of 32 years saying his customer base is increasing
As a child we always had our milk delivered, something I personally kept up until about 20 years ago.
Now I don't know anyone who has milk delivers and at 30pence a pint more than The local supermarket I can see why.

Anyone else have a regular milk delivery?

Please no OMO jokes!

alfatwo

Yes we have a milkman in Dunchurch too, apparently he's busier than ever as lots of the younger generation see it cool to have your milk delivered in glass bottles!

Dave

Ewan

Up until about 5 years ago, when they cancelled the service. On the upside, at least it's only the postman and bin men that I need to tip each Christmas now.

CatmanV2

Have had deliveries for about 15 years. Recently moved to a local, family business. They are reporting 12 new customers a week, and taking on delivery staff twice this year

C

Andyk

There was one that came down our street but not seem him for around 6 months. His was double the price of the supermarkets so couldn't see how he could keep going.

2b1ask1

Special case
Moved into this house just shy of 30 years ago and sort out an organic farm that made deliveries for the first few years, they sold out and a succession of buy outs later the premium could not be justified, the deliveries became unreliable and after a few occasions if sour milk beng delivered we cancelled. At that time we were the only delivery in the road. That would have been about 98.

safrane

We have one of the Milk and More franchise delivery to us.

Yes it cost a little bit mkre than the supermarket, but I hate the monopoly the big brands have over their suppliers and we do need to support our farmers or we will just have Latvian milk to drink kn a few years.

We can place our order upto 11pm the night before and it arrives at 05:00. In additon to Milk we can also order any thing from fire logs, garden peat, bird food, most dairy items and fruit juice that they squeeze themselves.

So stuff the big brands and support your local farms.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
We live directly opposite a farm, and when we moved here 10 years ago they did milk deliveries.
About 7 years ago they stopped dairy farming, and there are no milk deliveries in the area that I am aware of now.

Hurricane52

We have a new regime of picking up a couple of bottles from our local butcher’s shop every day or so when doing the school run. It has cut our milk consumption in half, doubled our smugness quotient and stopped us buying supermarket stuff we don’t need quite so often.

There is a downside though. Tuesday was sunny so I picked the kids up in the QP. “Daddy - press the sport button and go really fast round the roundabout.” Irresistible, but regrettable, as the top came off a bottle and two became one and a half pints. Spent an hour washing and drying my brand new deep pile footwell mats to stop them smelling of cheese.

redsonnylee

I remember when my boys were small and used to splash their milk bottles all over the cars interior, not very nice especially in the warm weather.

Let’s hope you don’t find any hidden cheese in the next day or so :)

RoaryRati

I ditto safrane's comments - 'cept milk and more have just (seemingly needlessly) changed there website - and the new one has a few (?) teething problems - no milk today!! (again)

zagatoes30

Milk spills in the car is horrible, you think you cleaned it thoroughly only to find a week later you didn't purely by the smell

2b1ask1

Special case
Had a whole carton of double cream spilt in the back of the Aygo some years ago (no innuendo there), it went rancid and I ended up stripping the whole interior and steam cleaning the carpet moulding!

CatmanV2

Christmas Eve, about 1600 15 years back I had a 600ml carton of double cream fall out of the fridge. It went under the fridge, under the Marley tiles under the fridge. Oh my that was so much fun....

C

Ebenezer

20 odd years ago had a young daughter projectile vomit from the back seat..... We were on the way to a friends weddings... Mmmmmmmm
Eb

RSM Masser

Had a 20 litre can of diesol leak into the carpet of one car, never got rid of the smell.
After the kids made velour seats on the Cortina a black sticky mess always bought cars with wipe clean leather interiors!