Quick question on non-starting

Jnismith

Have had the GS on charge for last week and battery is fine after being flat. Just started it up now.

Started first time, put it into reverse and it stalled after about a foot. Tried to start again and it won't, starter motor is turning but not starting.

Have decided to leave it for half an hour and try again. I know it shouldn't flood but seems like a plan.

Any thoughts?

zagatoes30

Probably not a bad idea to do a reset from the boot, 20 mins off and then power it back on it seems to resolve lots of "electrical" issues

safrane

Happened to me once in one of the 4200s. The reset worked but I did end up with a CEL, but that disappeared a few weeks later as well.

It is probably your battery...the coupe needs a perfect battery or you will have lots of niggles until you replace it.

Fingers crosses you will be sorted within the hour.

Jnismith

Well thanks to Andy and Peter and to those who posted on the other threads I read. Here's what I tried:
Turning the key on and off three times - didn't do anything much
Resetting the battery - stopped the EOBD light from shining
Stamping on the brake pedal - nothing (didn't get round to checking if the brake lights came on)
Trying the other key (which set off the alarm and lit the CODE warning light)
Swearing
Talking to an elderly neighbour who much admired the car and remembered my previous Maser
Going back to the original key and low and behold it started, roughly to begin with and then OK
Took it for a 25 mile drive and it is back in the garage now.

So happy days and lets see what happens next time.

Jnismith

This has now happened three times. The car half starts on the first turn, stalls after half a second and then will turn but not start

1. From cold. Tried all the above and eventually started half an hour later
2. After a drive and half an hour in the pub. Started third time
3. After a drive, stopped on drive, turned off ignition. Opened garage doors. Wouldn't start. Just left it for an hour and it started first time.

Any thoughts?

Gp79

Is this the hot start problem the 4200 / GS can suffer?
Are the engine fans running when you turn ignition on?

After your battery problems it is probably best to just replace it so you can rule that out.

midlifecrisis

I recently had a similar issue, it ran for 10 seconds idling then cuts out. Turned out to be the Bosch Air flow sensor. Only £90 for the correct part, delivered next day. Just picking it up today and I'll report back.

Jnismith

Is this the hot start problem the 4200 / GS can suffer?
Are the engine fans running when you turn ignition on?

After your battery problems it is probably best to just replace it so you can rule that out.

I’ll have a think about that, but the battery has been on trickle charge with no problems and it turns over well.

Jnismith

My bet is temp sensors the engine warmth is confusing them.

I thought about the temp sensors too from reading a previous thread. It's going in for a full service soon and will discuss with Paul at McGrath. Just don't want to end up broken down anywhere.

Jnismith

[zQUOTE=CatmanV2;624395]Temp or CPS would be my guess

C[/QUOTE]

CPS ? Probably being stupid but what is this?

midlifecrisis

Mine is now running sweet. I bought my MAF from micksgarage dot com.
The part number is Bosch 0 280 218 084. Don't worry that they list it as an Iveco Stralis MAF it is the same part.
I've got a voucher code to use so if you need anything let me know and I can get a whopping 5% off...

Jnismith

Mine is now running sweet. I bought my MAF from micksgarage dot com.
The part number is Bosch 0 280 218 084. Don't worry that they list it as an Iveco Stralis MAF it is the same part.
I've got a voucher code to use so if you need anything let me know and I can get a whopping 5% off...

Thanks Martin and Catman. Will investigate