QP as a daily drive ?

D Walker

As Phil points out,
Why not set up a little private detailing business on the side, realise you have young boys and time is precious, you could even use them for cheap labour,
Money has never been cheaper either if financing..

rockits

I agree with the ZF bring the best option for your use. I would have no issues keeping my QP if I didn't sell it. I can see me back in a QP at some point maybe a later 4.7 GTS.

It doesn't make sense for you to have QP as a daily at all when looking at only the finance side....of course it doesn't. However does the upside of having a QP outweigh the downside of the slightly higher cost to run. You need to work out the numbers & can only judge that yourself.

Remember we are only on this planet once and we are not getting any younger. Sometimes we need to do things that make no sense at all. Sometimes those decisions are the best we ever make.

We moved house 3.5 years ago. Could we afford to? Not really. Was it tricky? Yes. Has it been hard? Yes. Can we afford to still live here? Just but hard with lots of compromise. Was it a good decision? Yes unequivocally...one of our best decisions ever....I think

Carpe Diem.

D Walker

I guess other things to consider are, would Liz drive it, so you could maybe swap cars for a week, in winter if you don’t want to run it buy a bangernomics car, run it for winter, detail it and sell for what you paid,
Trouble will be finding a good un, apart from Deans, lol,
As the man said, one life:live it, my wife informed me she is looking at properties on Monday, pointed out I emptied the bank.....apparently she doesn’t think that’s an issue......

Andyk

I think I am going to buy a very cheap run around.....A car dealer in Chepstow has a 2007 3 series with 60k on for 3495 which as my father buys his cars from him and he is a family friend that will be under 3k....or there is also a decent 2010 Octavia at the dealer across the road from me for 4K which may be a better bet......Use it while I'm going through probabation...get a bit of money behind us and then go for the toy in the garage. Can see the QP prices going north any time soon.....especially with all the doo gooders hating big engines.

rockits

Makes sense to get a cheap daily & a toy. Problem is & the quandary I had is that I did most of my miles in a car that wasn't a drivers car & didn't get much time to use the toy.

The XC90 is a brilliant car & one of the best I've owned but I didn't aspire to driving it. It was a great tool & did a great job. I am now going to sell it as the new (to me) E55K wagon will take over. Already after two weeks of driving the E55K I know I have made the right decision. The E55K will cost a smidge more to run, is almost as practical & does all I needed the XC90 to do. It just does it much faster & in a much better drivers way.

Maybe you could find a balance & get a cost effective daily that is still decent & good fun to drive. Then can still have the toy as well.

safrane

I would suggest a BMW M sport 5 series for day to day and the toy for the weekend. A nice 4200 would provide plenty of pleasure and if looked after give you 100% of the value back.

Enough theatre for the weekend, room for the family and its a coupe which is what a toy is about.

Andyk

It has to be a QP..... Just me so don't shoot me down but the 4200 looks old now and I feel a QP would be more reliable as it was a newer platform with as the 4200 was build on a platform from 1997. A facelift 4200 maybe but the original doesn't float my boat I'm afraid. But for me the QP is the better looking vehicle especially in Sport GT form.

safrane

Horse for courses...I would not want two big saloon cars.

Although the QP is newer at the price point you mentioned poo reliability and cost of parts will be greater I fear.

Andyk

I always though a QP was more reliable than a 4200....Maybe wrong but it feels like it from listening to people on here. Suppose the other thing is that an early 4200 looks very similar to my old 3200 so something different is order of the day. Although I do like Martyns 4200.......Also ever time I gave driven a QP in anger it never felt like a big car. I like that Jekyll and Hyde personality about it.

rockits

I always though a QP was more reliable than a 4200....Maybe wrong but it feels like it from listening to people on here. Suppose the other thing is that an early 4200 looks very similar to my old 3200 so something different is order of the day. Although I do like Martyns 4200.......Also ever time I gave driven a QP in anger it never felt like a big car. I like that Jekyll and Hyde personality about it.

I think your right to want and have a QP for what your use would be. I can see its use and understand that is what you would want. Make sense to me. Good as a family car but still a very nice & interesting drivers car. I wouldn't necessarily say a QP is any more or less reliable than a 4200 though. I agree it is a later platform so more modern in that regard but the engine basics are pretty much the same. The ZF auto will be a less expensive option for running costs. Many 4200 CC, GS and DS QP expenses are often clutch. The suspension, brakes and other consumables are the same or similar so no different.

I think it is more down to the individual car, history and condition. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a DS QP though as it won't be a daily. Also GT are getting down to under £20k now as well although I agree QP are silly cheap for what they offer.

What you thinking about for a daily?

Ewan

On the subject of QPs this one has been catching my eye for sometime.....Never been a fan of black on black but low miles, Sport GT and those later GTS wheels and dark window surround appeals to me. It's been for sale for an age ..... Like most QPs on AT so sure a deal could be done to get under the 14k.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...y New&onesearchad=New&postcode=np165ly&page=1

That is such a bargain. The best model, updated wheels, new tyres, one owner, low miles, all for £14k. Incredible. Strange it's missing the Sport GT badges on the doors, but I have a spare set if anyone bought this car and wanted them.

Andyk

Yes noticed that Ewan....seen other Sport GT's without them. Think it all depends how the factory felt at the time if they put them on.

zagatoes30

Any Maserati as a daily drive will never be a financially sound proposition, they are different for a reason. That said you manage the costs by buying the right car with the right maintenance routine and you won't lose massively on the depreciation front, I would have said £3-4k maintenance budget plus fuel. If you are looking to run a daily cheaply look else where.

We need a big car to tow our caravan hence the Rangie but I choose to use it as a daily despite the fuel economy because I enjoy being in it. I could easily use Sarahs Skoda which would be more economical and much more sensible but it is just functional, I hate just putting up with something.

If you want to enjoy your daily commute use something that puts a smile on your face life is to short to just function.

Andyk

I think your right to want and have a QP for what your use would be. I can see its use and understand that is what you would want. Make sense to me. Good as a family car but still a very nice & interesting drivers car. I wouldn't necessarily say a QP is any more or less reliable than a 4200 though. I agree it is a later platform so more modern in that regard but the engine basics are pretty much the same. The ZF auto will be a less expensive option for running costs. Many 4200 CC, GS and DS QP expenses are often clutch. The suspension, brakes and other consumables are the same or similar so no different.

I think it is more down to the individual car, history and condition. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a DS QP though as it won't be a daily. Also GT are getting down to under £20k now as well although I agree QP are silly cheap for what they offer.

What you thinking about for a daily?

No sure buddy...something cheap say 4 to 5k......Can be petrol or diesel as not really precious for the daily.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
I’d be surprised if it’s a good car, it’s an import (last year) and had a massive list of advisories. If there’s no Sport GT badges, it’s probably not a Sport GT. I’ve never known them to come off.

hashluck

That is such a bargain. The best model, updated wheels, new tyres, one owner, low miles, all for £14k. Incredible. Strange it's missing the Sport GT badges on the doors, but I have a spare set if anyone bought this car and wanted them.

Great looking car, massive road presence for no money really but I always think there must be a catch

Andyk

I’d be surprised if it’s a good car, it’s an import (last year) and had a massive list of advisories. If there’s no Sport GT badges, it’s probably not a Sport GT. I’ve never known them to come off.

Suppose the question is can you get a good car that doesn't need a fortune spending on it for 15k......

Andyk

I've seen a Sport GT with the badges on the dash but not on the pillars outside. Owner said they had never ever been on the car.....Think it's a case of it the person putting them on needed a tea break....