QP as a daily drive ?

Andyk

So just wanted to pick the brains of QP owners.

What would a £14000/15000 QP be like as a daily drive....It would be a lovely car to drive but would it be reliable, would it take the 70 miles a day commute....what would the running costs be like.

The journey would be all motorway so what MPG do you think would be possible......With that sort of money les a year no doubt a yearly service as well......

Would it be financial suicide....?

Thanks in advance....

D Walker

So - Ill take a shot in the dark,
Call it 20mpg, 70/20 = 3.5 x 4.55 (1Gallon = 4.55l) = 15.925 x £1.20 (litre of unleaded) = £19.11 a DAY

safrane

I think it will be closer to 80 miles a day once you add on other little bits of running about so thats a min of 4 gallons of fuel so about £100 per week. Then add a major service pa as its aprox 18k miles pa and a set of tyres

So unless you are being paid way more than before I think it is a nice dream...but not a realistic.

Factor in a £4k war chest... and I think divorce would be next!

Wanderer

I've used mine on a daily commute, 75kms a week but all city, got about 12/13 mpg. That was in Dublin, terrible place to drive though.

Back in UK now, 150 miles a week on motorway for next commute.

If find the car behaves perfectly when it's used as lot, when I got it was a weekend car before, and you could tell, felt creaky and not rough but reluctant. Now it's used daily it's been excellent. It was easy to get 24/25 mpg on the M1 (Ireland) and first week back in UK mix of motorway/A-road driving getting 20 mpg so I think 22 mpg on motorway in UK is feasible.

In the end I don't care, I'm not driving a Mini Metro, I'm not driving a Mini Metro, I'm not driving a Mini Metro.......

Contigo

Sponsor
Yep I'd go with £3k a year as an average for a car like that but buy a ZF auto good one and it will be less. Tyres, discs and suspension parts are the big ticket items on these cars so make sure you get all these checked ppi before spunking your hard earned on a tired car....

Ewan

Used mine as dailys for over a decade, with no problems. No more expensive than any other vaguely comparable V8 petrol car. Indeed, they gave slightly better economy to other daily, a supercharged V8 Rangie.

It would be a great drive for you.
I do not commute anymore (yippee) and average about 18mpg when the computer says 22mpg.
What others have said about running costs is true and the other big ticket I don't think has been mentioned is Variators. They need to have been done by a reputable outfit for the age/mileage range I assume you are looking at.

rockits

I would have said it is certainly possible. I would go ZF Auto though. Service intervals are 12.5k or 2 years I believe. Certainly it would cost more than your average repmobile but not horrendously more. Buy right & it could be an option.

Going to go through tyres, brakes & consumables more as big heavy car. However a cracking car & drive. Depends whether you want or can afford the premium over a repmobile. I would...but I have always had big lumpy cars & are prepared to pay the extra.

Andyk

Thanks all....certainly food for though. It would a great car for trip to work and although tyres etc are expensive out I'd the 35 miles to get there 32 are all motorway so not heavy on tyres as hooning A/B roads. £400 fuel is the big monthly outlay. I certainly would be looking for an Auto rather than DS for daily drive.

Wanderer

Thanks all....certainly food for though. It would a great car for trip to work and although tyres etc are expensive out I'd the 35 miles to get there 32 are all motorway so not heavy on tyres as hooning A/B roads. £400 fuel is the big monthly outlay. I certainly would be looking for an Auto rather than DS for daily drive.

I'd go DS, I love it, previous car was a 3.6 Cadillac CTS, not a bad car at all but the 6-speed autobox while very nice just makes you feel disconnected. With the DS you are very much connected!

Andyk

Driven may DS in my time a agree that it’s involving and great fun but after driving a full auto I sort of get what the press say about it being a box more suited to the car especially if most of my journey is motorway.

Wanderer

Driven may DS in my time a agree that it’s involving and great fun but after driving a full auto I sort of get what the press say about it being a box more suited to the car especially if most of my journey is motorway.

Well if it's mostly motorway surely ZF and DS are on a par since you'd just be in top gear all of the time in either?

And when you are doing the last mile off the motorway, have some DS fun instead of just pressing 'Go'. QP is a big car and I'd probably hate to drive one if one had a manual clutch but for me at least the DS is best of boast worlds.

Plus I'm not convinced about the ZF cars' 50/50% weight distribution. Engine and gearbox all up front and nothing at the back isn't good, it can't be 50/50.....

Andyk

Plus with the Auto you don't have the very expensive clutch to worry about.......it it was a weekend toy probably would go DS but either would do as it would be about the best available and not really precious which.

I think as an everyday though it may just be a step to far cost wise. So have a choice, nice new company car, very cheap runaround and ail for a toy on the garage, or opt out and buy private.......Nice choice to have I suppose from where I've been lately.

philw696

Andy you are one of the most passionate members on here and you know how to keep a car looking mint.
So knowing that we have some Great Technical people on here you are laughing.
You need to find the Best car for your money and again on here people are always finding them what a Great Family we are in.
You might of missed out on Ewans and now Deans but there will be others.
My advice before starting the work Journeys would be give it a Major service to start and then your commutes will be the Best kind of driving for the car in my opinion and shouldn't be too ******* brakes and suspension as long as no pot holes on the motorway.
Definetley have a war chest just in case.
The family will love it your biological one and us.
Keep her detailed as you do and that side will remain mint as you really look after them.
Plus I for one reckon you deserve to be back in the Marque and they will never be making them like that again.
Good Luck in your Hunt mate.

Andyk

Thanks for those words Phil......Yep lots of sense in there my friend. Have always viewed the QP as Maserati's most reliable model over since it came out.....even over the GT....You never hear many stories of break down and disasters.

philw696

The Biggest thing in the UK is to keep the UK winter weather off the car and you love to keep your cars clean.
Keeping under the arches the same as the rest Job Done so you do not get corrosion on the trick suspension components.
I know you can do it as you have done it to many SM members cars over the years.
Take a flexi day when needed and get Voicey on the technical side.
Reduce the cost as whilst he is servicing you can detail some of his cars.
Win Win situation.
At this rate I should be up for a Nobel Peace Prize :)

Phil H

My auto QP is not a daily driver but it's not a garage queen either, and notwithstanding Maserati running costs, I see the ZF as the better of the two options for a dd. Either way, a QP cabin is a very nice place to be.

PH