You think Maserati's are fussy?

azapa

BMW X3, 36k miles, rear disks need changing and I'm on second set of pads. Look at that angled wear too! Quite pxxxed off.

On the bright side, it's easy uploading photos with taptalk!
24614258804665aad98dc27d90cf7651.jpg
7f2efdffd8b1cba72423e850fe56b0c3.jpg
663c853d6ecaeb82399c067d120d1d10.jpg
f0a445302bbacda5130616d1c4903e00.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zep

What I like most about the first pic is that there are nearly as many measuring devices as there are tools

2b1ask1

Special case
Not missing springs on there are you? A lot of calipers have springs that prevent that angling occurring.

Last edited:

azapa

Not missing springs on there are you? A lot of calipers have springs that prevent that angling occurring.

I am quite prepared to blame my previous change, but really can't see how, they are a simple, floating arrangement, all per:

rearBrakes.jpg

azapa

To be honest both the wife and I sling the X3 around as though it were a Miata.... heavy thing too, school runs etc.

I measured the disks and they are still parallel, but at the 18.5mm minimum. When I take the other side out, I'll see if the wear is squiffy there too.

Zep

I've seen similar wear due to the pads not sliding on the runner properly. They can't be clean enough and lube is crucial.

rockits

Seems too low for an axle stand....unless they are ultra ultra low profile.

I'm curious about the club hammer.....never used one when changing pads before. When changing disks however I have used one a few times!

I remember changing pads & disks in my wifes car (gf at the time) on an old 1988 Fiat Uno which was her first car. The disks were welded on the the hub. It was silly low mileage but quite old so might have been original disks. Likely been on there some years. Chr1st did that take some effort to get the beggars off!

azapa

Axel stand seems conspicuous by its absence! or is it just not in shot?

cough cough. it's a fair cop. under there now constable.

Note regarding that alloy wheel cleaner, the smelly stuff that picks up the metal particles: lovely job but anything not painted is really eaten up by that stuff. The Hammer was used to smack the tyre from the back to wobble the wheel off the hub. Lots of rust and corrosion on the back.

Can't use the stuff (the stinky wheel cleaner) on the strad either as it is a no-no on or near the ceramics. Another lesson learned!