DBW install, New shift paddles and steering wheel

tcrote5516

Just finished a 1/2 planned project. The planned part was to install the DBW module and I shot a video of that which I can't remember if I already posted but here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCNqL0RDSSk&t=25s

I also wanted to two tone the steering wheel and add a centering stripe. I also wanted new shift paddles but wasn't OK with spending $500 so I made these by cutting and polishing the existing arms and attaching a $30 set of billet aluminum paddles from ebay.

You can also see a dead pedal on the floor that is made for a Mercedes. I had to trim it a bit but it fits well now.

s25DcMN.jpg

I also had the cluster pulled out to convert it to LED backlighting. While I had it out I further dismantled it and wrapped the black plastic trim in carbon fiber to match the rest of the interior.

Dj2Xfva.jpg

The unplanned part of the project turned out to be under the hood when I noticed a small water leak. Well the seal that wen't was a little o-ring that seals between the water pump and the front cover of the engine. HUGE pain to do. Throttle body, EGR lines, both fans, crank pulley, AC compressor, power steering pump all had to come out just to get to the cover. Then all 6,000 bolts securing it had to come out. I changed all the seals and I'm glad I did because there are two seals that allow coolant to pass through the timing chain area that were also toast. Had those leaked, I would have been pumping water into the crank case and we all know bad things would happen.

0aprkke.jpg

Guess that's it for now, she's back together and it's just a waiting game for the snow to clear.

Gp79

Great work , I like what you have done with the instrument cluster.

The front cover job does look a right pain, i had / have a very slight coolant weep from the exact same point on my GS, only when its very cold, i thought removing the oil / water pump was easier as I didn't want to mess with the timing cover.

Did you have to remove the exhaust manifolds as well?

Interested to see more photos.

My weep at the seal marked with red arrow

GS-Pump.jpg

Ewan

And there was I thinking people liked Maserati's because the suave Italian stylists got it so right in the first place. Apparently they didn't. Throw 50p and a pickled egg at the interior and, hey presto, it's so much nicer.

Not.

tcrote5516

And there was I thinking people liked Maserati's because the suave Italian stylists got it so right in the first place. Apparently they didn't. Throw 50p and a pickled egg at the interior and, hey presto, it's so much nicer.

Not.

Thank you! I completely agree, they got so much right but a few things needed to be worked over. I'm glad you agree.

edit: Yes that was sarcasm, your unnecessary tone matches the quality of your opinion so it's being dismissed with a smile. Have a nice day!

tcrote5516

I like those paddles. Do you have a link?

C

Sure, the black plastic part just unscrews and you will need to modify the factory arms (in a way that makes returning to stock impossible) but then you can tap and thread the aluminum paddles right on to it. I really love having longer paddles. The factory ones are too short in my opinion and require you to change hand position on the wheel in many cases. This helps to mitigate that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Alloy-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

tcrote5516

Great work , I like what you have done with the instrument cluster.

The front cover job does look a right pain, i had / have a very slight coolant weep from the exact same point on my GS, only when its very cold, i thought removing the oil / water pump was easier as I didn't want to mess with the timing cover.

Did you have to remove the exhaust manifolds as well?

Interested to see more photos.

My weep at the seal marked with red arrow

View attachment 47970

THANKS! Yes, that's the exact same seal that was weeping on mine. I didn't have to remove the headers and that was part of the reason I wen't in from the front. I also wanted to refinish some of the components in that area so it gave me the opportunity to do that though it was most likely more work. I'll post up some more pictures. You can also see video's of the car on my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tcrote5516

tcrote5516

Well the finish can easily be changed but the function was more important to me. I drive the car fairly aggressively and having the paddles cover more steering wheel area really helps you keep your hands where they are suppose to be on the wheel and not have to reach for a different gear.

Zep

I have just bought some carbon paddle extensions (mine were for an E46 SMG) to see what they might look like. If they can't be attached without butchery I imagine I will either buy some used paddles or make something up. It can always be returned to standard later if needed.

CatmanV2

I have just bought some carbon paddle extensions (mine were for an E46 SMG) to see what they might look like. If they can't be attached without butchery I imagine I will either buy some used paddles or make something up. It can always be returned to standard later if needed.

Would be interested to see how that pans out, Zep. One thing I don't like about mine is the paddles.....

C

Zep

Would be interested to see how that pans out, Zep. One thing I don't like about mine is the paddles.....

C

I shall keep you posted. They are at the post office waiting for me tomorrow. I'll have a look and get back to you.
f6653053c743547306df446739390f1f.jpg

jasst

I really like the look of those carbon paddles that come from Australia, but there's no way I'm spending nigh on 500 notes on some, now if someone were to come up with something similar, but not necessarily real carbon, perhaps as a group buy at a much more realistic cost then I'm sure there would be quite a bit of interest . :biggrin: