GranTurismo dreams vs reality

Ewan

I'd not being paying £28k for a 4.2 with 65k miles. We've seen 4.7 cars with less miles go for around £30k privately recently. Only the black car with 35k miles is priced anywhere near sensibly, but given it's a 2008 I'd still not pay that much. Go for the lowest mileage one you can (with full history, obviously) and haggle hard.

Just for interest, put these registration numbers into "webuyanycar" to see their approximate trade value. It'll give you a rough guide as to what they owe the dealer.

Ewan

By the way, there is a black with cream, 4.2 auto, 2007 with 55k miles for sale on the Maserati owners club website. He's asking £28k but I'd be amazed if he gets that for a private sale. He'd be very brave to turn down £26k or so, as a trade sale or part exchange would return him less than that. The seller has owned it since 2008, which is a good sign that it's a nice one. Worth a call.

BuckRog64

I'd not being paying £28k for a 4.2 with 65k miles. We've seen 4.7 cars with less miles go for around £30k privately recently. Only the black car with 35k miles is priced anywhere near sensibly, but given it's a 2008 I'd still not pay that much. Go for the lowest mileage one you can (with full history, obviously) and haggle hard.

Just for interest, put these registration numbers into "webuyanycar" to see their approximate trade value. It'll give you a rough guide as to what they owe the dealer.

Absolutely. A couple of dealers have 4.7 MC Shifts with lowish miles for around £30k now. OK don't know what life is left in discs, bushes and clutch or whether variators done but I'm sure these would have been more like £40k a year ago. And you get a 6 month warranty. So, based on that depreciation, wait a while and you might get a nice 4.7 for your budget and if you are happy with an auto I don't think you will have to wait long at all for a 4.7.

Appreciate it's outside of your budget but look at the MC Shift Richard Grace has for £33k. It's had recent money spent on all the big ticket items. I know that silver with red is not to everyone's tastes but you don't see many 4.7s in that combo and I think it looks fresh compared to all the dark grey and black examples.

You don't see many GTSs coming up for sale privately and when they do the sellers tend to ask retail money.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
My old 2008 4.2 GT with 55K miles has been for sale at a smallish dealer for probably 5 months. Started at just under £30K and now on for £27K. That's not a lot more than I got for it in P/X with the MD. No doubt they bought it for less but they must be close to not making anything.

rockits

The market will always dictate what it wants to pay. The problem with a GT is they made so many as they were so good and desired. So plenty of numbers around.

An early 2007/2008 4.2 needs to be Max 25k now & can't see any one paying more as many have said....4.7 GT S MC's are down to 30k now.

Banan91

could you explain diffrences between mc shift/mc shift auto? I heard that mc auto is better for normal daily drive

Mc shift has robotised clutch?
Mc shift auto is normal semi auto?

To many types and I don’t know which is which

Andyk

MC Shift is a paddle shift robotised manual type box. This was the only gear box available at first in the 4.7 cars. They are the box of choice for the enthusiast and most prefer this gear box. MC shift Auto was added later and is a full Auto which the magazines say it's the one to have and suits the car. You will see that as time went on most GT 4.7s have this box. The MC auto has quicker changes I believe and a sportier set up than a standard auto. You can tell the difference between these two boxes as the MC shift auto has no gear stick on the console....full auto has the gear stick. These two boxes were only available on the 4.7.

There was a early full auto on the 4.7 which was none MC so standard shift set up.

4.2's are all full autos...there was no MC shift option.

So a GT got 4 gear boxes....4.2 (1 - Standard auto).....4.7 (3 - Standard auto, MC shift, MC shift Auto)

Running costs for a 4.7 are higher than a 4.2....for example the MC shift clutch is £2000 plus if worn and they last depending on how it's driven....some have seen high miles out of a clutch while others maybe 40kish. Discs are also silly money from Maserati I believe for a 4.7.

Sounds like 25k should get you a good car these days.

safrane

Tiss funny...OP has a budget of 23k and we (myself inc) are pushing thus up to 33k+

TBH a 4.2 is a lovely place to be at a 40% saving and lower running costs.

Go for what you can afford rather than live kn a financial knife edge... that way you will enjoy the whole experience far more.