What's wrong with EVO?

safrane

Dropped through the door today and it disappoints before I have even opened the wrapper...is it getting smaller, not just size but also in thickness.

The latter could be due to the paper quality which has the texture of 1980 Zep loo roll that you endured at school.

Auto express is becoming a better quality rag!

Will the contents make up for the appearance...it's what is inside that counts I am often told.

RSM Masser

FAST BIKES is my lav mag, the centre pages used to be adorned with a scantily clad young lady draped over a customised motorcycle, only showing some leg and a fine figure, nothing too erotic.
Trouble is after a publisher change the best bits seem to have gone.

Andyk

Agree Peter...The paper quality has got poor....It went that way a year or so ago and I mentioned something about it on their forum and they said they hadn't changed the paper but clearly they had.....They changed the news layout a few months back as well and its a mess......Been meaning to cancel my subscription but not got around to it.

zagatoes30

FAST BIKES is my lav mag, the centre pages used to be adorned with a scantily clad young lady draped over a customised motorcycle, only showing some leg and a fine figure, nothing too erotic.
Trouble is after a publisher change the best bits seem to have gone.

Custom Car back in the 70s stunning mag and the centre pages were always a must

6049552305_d37ca614f0_b.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
Exchange & Mart (Motoring), first 4 pages was just recon engines and gearboxes!

& not forgetting the LOOT, pink, green & white editions! There is now an online version I suppose...

FIFTY

I thought you meant what is actually wrong with them... They do adorn Porsche's far too much

Andyk

They do......but then they do make a great sports car...No matter what you think of the styling they have the everyday proper drivers sports car nailed....

Navcorr

Unlike King & Country.
[video=youtube;ce2dfvDIMUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2dfvDIMUk[/video]

Top hole Blackadder.

Zep

Mine arrived today. I think I'm going to cancel Evo and stick with Octane which is much better in my view.

Andyk

The only bit I enjoyed was the Vantage drive .... The old V8, GT8, V12 would know which way it went...High praise indeed. But yes need to cancel mine as well.

m1980k

Growing tired of Evo is like growing tired of Radio 1 - it means you're old. The mag tells you what new cars are like to drive at or near the limit. And to anyone who says that's not something you can ever do: get on track or get up early on a Sunday morning.

Or stay at home listening to Radio 2 with your pipe and slippers before spending the afternoon polishing your Maserati :jptongue:

D Walker

Growing tired of Evo is like growing tired of Radio 1 - it means you're old. The mag tells you what new cars are like to drive at or near the limit. And to anyone who says that's not something you can ever do: get on track or get up early on a Sunday morning.

Or stay at home listening to Radio 2 with your pipe and slippers before spending the afternoon polishing your Maserati :jptongue:

F*ck!!! Been found out......

rockits

I currently get Evo & Octane & there is much more content in Octane but completely different cars & style. Modern Classics is good but quite specific obviously and a little one dimensional often. Still serves a good purpose though.

I always enjoy Dickie Meaden's column but not so much Richard Porter's now. Always good to have old stories from people like Derek Bell, Tiff and the like in all mags.

Everybody is different I guess & wants/likes different things.

alfatwo

You can't drive fast anymore so I don't see the sense of mags like EVO, all this going sideways stuff around there test track, what's the point!

Octane on the other hand is usually a good read

Dave

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
You can’t drive fast? WTF? Of course you can; drive as fast as you like, just don’t get caught. It looks like old age has not only caught you, it’s overtaken you.

Zep

If Evo is Radio 1 and Octane is Radio 2 - what is 6 Music?

Back in the day when Dickie and Barker were editors at large, Bovingdon was staff writer and Harris was a contributor and it was about the real thrill of driving - fast or otherwise. The articles were better written and had details about how a car worked on the limit along with real ownership deals and dilemmas. Remember the lightest Caterham or the V8 Capri?

These days it's more about infotainment systems and “lifestyle†vehicles, with frankly dire writing at times (stand up Stephen Dobie, whose articles I ended up skipping because they were both uninformative and badly written). Take away the tactile quality with this months “bog roll†paper quality and it really isn't worth it.

Now, where are my slippers.

Andyk

Agree with Zep the writing was better back then.....

The trouble with modern classic is that as soon as I see the name classic you have to be over 65, with twigs in your beard and enjoy real ale with names like bishops finger and sheep shagger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 35