F1 Transmission Control Unit

Does anyone have a TCU Part Number 711739 or superseded part number 980001181 knocking around ?.

Mines is toast and need to replace it.

conaero

Forum Owner
Maverick was advertising one for sale earlier in the week.

It’s from an early 4200 not sure if it fits.

Thanks, ive been told the past numbers need to match due to software differences.. I would have thought the software could be over written..

midlifecrisis

Just texted Maverick, apparently he's just sold it.

His was from a 2002 4200 and was a bit more aggressive than later 4200 (2003- onwards). The GS is different again and blips the throttle on down changes.

midlifecrisis

I can't remember which version Jeremy Clarkson tested on Top Gear, he remarked how slow it was, so was probably the tamer 2003 onwards version. Hence why. when I turn on the engine, the next thing to turn on is sports mode. ( and no it doesn't stay on after turning off the engine!)

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
I can't remember which version Jeremy Clarkson tested on Top Gear, he remarked how slow it was, so was probably the tamer 2003 onwards version. Hence why. when I turn on the engine, the next thing to turn on is sports mode. ( and no it doesn't stay on after turning off the engine!)

Is yours a classico Martin? If so sounds like you have the tamer firmware. As said mine blips (in Sport only), and the sport button remains on after turning off and on the engine.

CatmanV2

Not sure the sport button is only dependant on the TCU software. Don't forget it impacts the suspension and throttle as well.
Certainly mine blipped on downshift, as a 2002.

According to the screenshots Voicey gave me it was running software MAC1BD36

No idea how that translates....

C

maverick

The tcu I sold had the double blip and the sport mode didn’t turn off when engine switched off

midlifecrisis

Mine is a 2003 4200 (pre-facelift, aka Classico) and at Le Mans a couple of years ago, we (a cross section of Maserati owners, all forum members) jumped in each others car and the blip on change down was noticed by its absence. I jumped into a GS (an MCV) and I then understood what I've been missing.
It seems that Maserati turned down the gear change following criticism in the press, only to dial it back in for the launch of the GS.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Mine is a 2003 4200 (pre-facelift, aka Classico) and at Le Mans a couple of years ago, we (a cross section of Maserati owners, all forum members) jumped in each others car and the blip on change down was noticed by its absence. I jumped into a GS (an MCV) and I then understood what I've been missing.
It seems that Maserati turned down the gear change following criticism in the press, only to dial it back in for the launch of the GS.

You should have bought Mav's TCU!

Got quoted £695 for a stage 1 ECU remap including a TCU adaptation upgrade, which theyvsaid would put the gearbox into learning mode to tailor it to driving style. (I’m not sure what that would impact)? Also includes 3 sessions on rolling road to tune in settings. They explained that it’s a 1 day job with update via EODB port.

Also the remap would smooth out engine at mid range. I can’t recall what bhp performance gains are achieved..

Ebenezer

When I get the QP serviced, Emblem say they "wipe" the gear box and it starts learning again based on driving style. This appears to be standard functionality in the ZF autobox. I tried to google for some documentation on what the ZF box was actually doing to get a better understanding but drew a blank. It also learns on the hoof as I certainly noticed a change in character while my driving style was somewhat "modified" when driving in Spain last September :auto14:

Somewhere there's a list of Gearbox ECUs and software versions floating about. Interestingly all the 4.2 QPs seem to have the same gearbox firmware as far as I can recall, (even the Sports GT). I wondered whether these things are interchangeable with the GT Sport Auto firmware. I can't find anyone who written about mixing and matching these things..

Eb
Eb

CatmanV2

I don't think the learning is contained in the box itself. I've got a stack of tech manuals (well at least one good one) on that box. AFAIK the learning is in the TCU. I *suspect* you'd need to do a proxy thing to get the GT sport TCU working, but maybe Voicey would be up for giving it a try.

Re-reading the manual this appears to be all incorrect :)

C

I’ve managed to obtain a sport GT TCU off a QPV 2005.. my original has lost the function of allowing the transmission to disengage the clutch even tho it shows neutral thus burning the clutch somehow.. but anyway I wouldn’t mind learning more about what’s software versions run on which TCU/ECU from the GS and QP also if they are interchangeable ..