noise in the left front suspension (LHD)

babel 101

... the left wheel of the 3200 makes a noise when I find a pothole and the car circulates at more than 20 km / h

Spartacus

It could be anything . But probably suspension or anti roll bar bushes worn out . But without a better description its hard to advise .

conaero

Forum Owner
Drop links are famous for a rattle over potholes.

Need to get the wheel off and a pry bar in there and give it a wiggle.

davy83

drop links and lower ball joints are the most likely but also ARB bushes maybe, and the wheel arch liners too depends if its a clunk or a creaking noise, or a scraping noise, need a little more to go on here i suspect :)

babel 101

drop links and lower ball joints are the most likely but also ARB bushes maybe, and the wheel arch liners too depends if its a clunk or a creaking noise, or a scraping noise, need a little more to go on here i suspect :)

It´s not the wheel arch liners I am sure, the noise... its a clunk

davy83

clunk is most likely drop links or bottom ball joint in the suspension, I guess track rod ends might also cause a clunk, but its all in the same area you will need to inspect it to work out whats up.

SteveM

The Standard 3200 (non AC) ARB D bushes are no longer available from Maserati or normal sources. Plans are afoot however to resolve situation.

bigbob

The Standard 3200 (non AC) ARB D bushes are no longer available from Maserati or normal sources. Plans are afoot however to resolve situation.

Strange. Surely, though, there are a reasonable list of aftermarket choices already?

Robbe

I have (sort of) the same problem, my suspension on the left (LHD) is also making a cluncking sound.
The droplinks on both sides have been replaced, did not help. My garage could not find anything wrong with it, but it does make a cluncking sound, so something should cause that.
I tried to tighten the balljoints, but they were tight already. I tried to feel for play with the wheel jacked up (car on jack), to replicate the normal conditions when driving, did not work.
Also tried to replicate it with the wheel jacked up and let down, but it can't be replicated.
But the first turn (driving off)of the steering wheel and movement of the wheel/suspension, it is there.
Any idea's?

davy83

my first thought is the lower ball joint as that really is the thing that goes. it may just be hard to unload all the forces off the joint when you are trying to move it by hand. Note that tightening the bolt will not affect a loose ball socket. Other than the ball joint what about shock absorber, worn and sticking? suspension bushes? track rod end? any thing loose like the caliper mounting bolts, or the lower or upper mounting on the shock absorber. Has there been any work on the suspension or that area before this noise started? could be a wheel bearing i guess but they tend to grumble rather than clunk and you get uncertain steering too. hard to say really without, either hearing it or getting to inspect the car :)

Gp79

With suspension unloaded and wheel off the ground, try use a bar under the tyre to lever it up and down, as you will be fighting against the spring which would not be possible to move much by hand.

So you have tried to move the wheel with hands at 9 and 3, 12 and 6 positions already?

Robbe

I have jacked the car up (both sides, to even out the forces on the ARB), and put another jack underneath the wheel to lift it to several stages of suspension load.
I tried rocking it in all directions (9/3, 12/6), nothing serious.
So whatever I try, I can't replicate the noise. I used a crow bar (with rubber pads) to try to move things, but nothing makes a sound or shows serious play. This is also what my garage did, and they found nothing as well.
The sound started about a year ago, some 2500 miles I guess, and I can't think of anything that was done to that side that might have caused it.
As the lower balljoint and wishbone look good and I feel nothing there, I am now leaning towards the shocks themselves.
When replacing the droplinks, I did not notice anything wrong with the shock bush, so maybe the issue sits higher. All 4 top nuts are tight on the wheel arch inside the engine compartiment, so it is not loose.
Thanks anyway for your thoughts and ideas.

Rex B

Try removing the shock absorber actuator from the top of the shock absorber to see if the centre but holding the shock absorber to the mounting plate is loose. To get to the actuator on the nearside you need to remove the heat shield.

Rex B