any one removed their 3200 Exhaust?

davy83

I am wading into changing my prop-shaft. I have to get the exhaust off, and it was assembled with the subframe off the car. I am thinking (and the workshop manual eludes to this) that i need to tilt the engine and gearbox to get at the top bolts holding the exhaust onto the turbos? Any one does this and can confirm how they got the top bolts off the exhaust to turbo coupling?

SteveM

Hi Davy, the turbo to exhaust flanges were leaking on mine but FTech managed to unbolt despite 3 previous mechanics being too scared to touch the corroded bolts in fear of them shearing. Dan explained that he had to heat to cherry red before they came out. Depending on any other replies you might wish to reach out to them. I have heard it is possible to split the turbo casing as an alternative option but a brave man to tackle this task that way but if bolts do shear I guess you have no option. I do have spare turbo gaskets just in case I had to go this route of splitting turbo.

madmanmart

If your car was a Manual car then I'd say go for it because the exhaust would of been off a few times for the clutch.

WD40 and Heat will help for sure. I've done a few and only had one bolt shear off.

davy83

It only takes one bolt for this to change from a tricky job to a nightmare!!! I am currently tilting the engine and gearbox so i can access the **** bolts!!!

If your car was a Manual car then I'd say go for it because the exhaust would of been off a few times for the clutch.

WD40 and Heat will help for sure. I've done a few and only had one bolt shear off.

urquattrogus

I removed my original exhaust from the turbos and fitted a full Larini system, inc cats.

I found it surprisingly not too bad really.

I made sure i gave the end of the exposed threads a clean up with a wire brush, then applied plenty of penetrating oil, I usually use plus gas...

I then made sure that I used a flat sided socket (much harder to round off the nuts that with a corner grab socket) on a nice long flex headed ratchet with extension.

May have used a u/j type coupling on the ratchet or extension end to get the angle, and perhaps a spanner with a tap on the hammer to shock the bolt a little.

No need to tilt the engine and gearbox....

zantafio

I have just removed mine.
The exhaust flanges on the turbo side are 8mm Allen hex. I used a shortened allen key with wd40 and a tube to have the required torque, when it was easy enough, I used a vise-grip as a faster way to undo them. For the upper allen bolt, I used a 3/8in square 8mm allen hex (just enough room aside of the lambda sensor), a knuckle, an extension bar and a shock gun. I took me about an hour but I got them all.
I did not move the engine to do that, but you have to lower the torsion bar a bit to have enough clearance to remove the exhaust completely.

good luck!