Another smitten newbie !

TimR

Picked the car up from Bill Mcgrath’s on Friday. Finally feel okay to drive it after a long overdue 4 yr service. Although I have done a number of jobs on the car myself, I wanted to see the major service elements done before I used it in anger...I see value in having an experienced tech getting “hands on” first time around. The car is an unknown as far as I’m concerned. The pas exchanger leaks . Which is a pain !
Gear select feels much improved. I expected to see that they had adjusted the cables. Apparently only serviced the gearbox mech. Simple enough I can do myself next time. Wheel alignment too.( it still pulls slightly left when you let go the wheel all the same ! ). The rear number plate slipped on the way home. It was stuck fast when I tried to straighten it the next day....It’s a pitiful method to affix them...I made my own aluminum fixings for the front. Guess I’ll have to do the same for the rear now. Don’t really want to drill the boot lid though !
I made the odd “ styling” improvements. Grill is blacked out. So too the pillar emblems and the script on the boot lid....I’ll try and get some pics and post them up soon....
:)

EDIT- Got to say- after some nearly 500 miles, Id have to admit, from a driver's perspective, the car isnt improved by the lack of sway bar across the rear axle. It really does heave with body roll at times.
FD Roll bar kit anyone..? :cool:

Last edited:

Geo

I concur with AndyK regarding car and photo.

You make a comment I don't quite follow:-
"the car isnt improved by the lack of sway bar across the rear axle. It really does heave with body roll at times." Has someone deliberately removed the bar for some reason?

TimR

I concur with AndyK regarding car and photo.

You make a comment I don't quite follow:-
"the car isnt improved by the lack of sway bar across the rear axle. It really does heave with body roll at times." Has someone deliberately removed the bar for some reason?
I guess deliberately...!
I refer to McGrath Maserati's tech who, when inspecting the car for me, called it a "sway bar delete"...! I can only guess why it's not present. I know from receipts, that the car has had the gearbox out at some point...It deosnt mean the swaay bar was dropped but perhaps it removed at the same time and they forgot to put it back !!? Or maybe it was omitted on the assembly line.
After some photo manipulation....

DSCF0010 2.jpgDSCF0019 2.jpg

Last edited:

Geo

How strange Tim. Rear roll bar bushes are next job on my list and I'm not exactly looking forward to doing it.

Gp79

Yes that is very odd, they can’t exactly fall off!

Access will be a pain as you’ll have to lower the rear subframe to fit it.

I’d be interested to see a photo as there must be the empty fittings where the rear drop links attach.

Here’s a pic of my car followed by one also with a missing rear roll bar.

Attachments

• 3BCF98FA-8232-40D2-8799-5507DB725F97.jpeg
    3BCF98FA-8232-40D2-8799-5507DB725F97.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • B69C3314-BC9F-4C94-9335-C706DBBAFCFD.png
    B69C3314-BC9F-4C94-9335-C706DBBAFCFD.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 18

TimR

Access will be a pain as you’ll have to lower the rear subframe to fit it.

Duly noted...I was aware it was major surgery whilst not entirely sure what it entailed in detail...

I’d be interested to see a photo as there must be the empty fittings where the rear drop links attach.

I did get a look under the vehicle during the inspection. I believe they are present but I am not that familiar with the cars....It would be unfortunate to have bought the FD bar kit and find yourself unable to fit them for a lack of prerequisite hardware under the car...!!

safrane

I am rather sceptical that the car would have left the factory without a ARB.

Not only would the independent scrutiny of the QC Co emplyed since the Ferrari days pick this up, the item would have had to have been checked off at the build station.

In addition each car is road tested and the handling would be dreadful..

If however I have misunderstood the issue, apologies.

TimR

McGrath barely registered the issue. I thought that strange . Made me think they'd seen it before too....

Zep

I seem to remember another thread about a 4200 without a rear ARB. Let me have a look.

TimR

The thread OP claims there are no mounting points. When I/we discussed my car beneath the hoist, I remember that we identified mounting points.
It’s only mounted twice ( excluding the drop link ends )..right ?

Subframe...? Really..?
I’m thinking along the lines of lowering the car on stock springs. And adding FD roll bars front & rear....There is also spring kit from FD. Not sure if it’s really needed...?

Problem is, there are times I find myself grateful for the fact the car is set up high, rides fairly compliant ( given the low profile tyres) whilst not diving as much as you’d expect when braking ( going by other cars I’ve driven) Sure, it’d “drive” better, but not necessarily ride better...Well, not in all circumstances, anyway.
Then again, I find myself thinking I’m happy it’s not loud in the cabin either. Must be getting old..! :D

Anyone fitted the roll bar kit..?

Zep

I think it’s more likely that the saddles weren’t fitted, even my compatriots would draw the line at making two different sub frames so they didn’t have to fit an ARB.

There are a few who have fitted the FD kit, it has the advantage of being adjustable (different mounting holes to vary the rate), but as with most FD gear it is silly money for what it is. Personally I would try a standard one if you like the compliant ride, the std rear bar is a fairly thin piece.

TimR

Since fitted the FD sway bars and rear track rod arms...
Sport pedals and some carpets ( that was a saga but worth the hassle & wait ) and finally the ashtray script...:)

TimR

Speak with Danielle or Peter at Autostyle..(https://www.autostyle.co.uk/catalog2/index.php)
The reason Im not getting any further involved is because it depends on so many things like the heelpads, the position you choose to place the emblem and so on..
Autostyle have the digital image on file. They also now have the rear carpets digitised for the 4200 after I sent them the pattern...They supply OEM fixings too...
Honestly, speak to them in person. They know what they are doing by now and it avoids any mistakes and irons out potential issues...!

Navcorr

Thanks for that TimR. Fair comments too - fully understandable.
It was Aytostyle I spoke to last year actually - as you say they know their business.
They advised a max. size possible which didn't seem worth it.
Seeing yours though am having 2nd thoughts. Thanks again.

How good does MikeT's script look by the way.