Disappointment after 5 years

Panicracing

Maserati GS passed MOT today with flying colours but feel disappointed. After it's winter hibernation normally first time out puts a big on my face but for the first time in 5 years it didn't. Cleared the cobwebs on the A419 and it just felt slow. Put it down to the fact that for the last 4 years been use to driving a lot lesser oil burner as my daily driver over the winter months, now I'm used to the power and torque of the 5.5 BiTurbo AMG motor it just puts the GS in the shade. I know I am talking about 2 totally different animals here but I was actually looking forward to getting back in my E63 today, I always said the day my GS stops making me smile will be the day she has go, sadly that day maybe near.
825daba9495f8d9dea33d3e939723184.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Gp79

Can see why with an E63, a friend had a C63 and that was and felt so much quicker than my GS.

Either get a supercharger on it, swap it for an F458 or buy a slower daily driver!

It’s not a bad problem to have though! But can see where you’re coming from.

Panicracing

458 sounds like a plan, I knew this was coming and have been thinking of selling the GS for a while now but never thought it would be within 7 months of purchasing the E63, weird thing was when purchasing the Merc the dealer did say he be very surprised if the GS was still with me within 12 months.

conaero

Forum Owner
Problem is, its going to cost you a lot more wedge for that bit more power, maybe the price of the GS should be considered against its age and performance.

Saying that, 5 years, thats quite a bit of time so cant blame you for a bit of a change. You tried a GTS MC Shift or Strad?

ofenomeno99

Unfortunately and as much as I love Maserati's and still put them above all other cars I know exactly what you mean with the AMG. My mum has an SLK 55 which I would use occasionally and the power and refinement put both the GS and GT to shame - but then again I'd have an old GS or GT over a brand new AMG anything :D

G

Guest 1678

Had an E63 as a daily. Brutal and hilarious. At the same time had a GT MC Shift. Slower and much more refined. Before that a C63 daily and a Gransport (kept that for 5 years)

However, the speed was only half the equation. The Maseratis always had the sense of occasion. The AMGs just very rapid white goods with a penchant for tyres and bushes.

Have to say though, the need to fix the speed bug did lead me to a 599. Now I have both occasion and velocity.

Sadly very little headroom in the Maserati range to find speed and occasion. Maybe a Stradale, but as we have seen on many threads the need for a new, very rapid, refined halo model is pressing, to say the least.

urquattrogus

I love AMG's, but can thoroughly recommend the Giulia Quadrifoglio that would kind of give you the hit of both cars melded together if that is your thing.

It drives like a sports car and I don't think there are many saloons if any that you can say that about.

To be honest I felt that the GS was a bit slow and torque lite on my test drive - and yes I know give it revs etc

That's why I ended up with a 3200AC.

Now that's going to start another argument!

Gp79

About to get my GS out after 5 months, hopefully I won’t feel the same, my daily drives are both snails so that should help!

Plus I also enjoy taking it apart as much as driving it...

Jnismith

My daily driver is a BMW 440i with the MPPSK pack which boosts power and makes it very loud in sports mode. Its easy to drive, comfortable and feels much faster than the Maserati. And I like them both in different ways, though if I had to choose one, it would be the BMW. However, the BM is 10 years younger than the Maser and technology has moved on so much in that time that its not a true comparison. The Maserati makes me feel special when I drive it and if I keep it as a treat, then I will always enjoy both.

m1980k

The GS is a different kind of car with a different kind of power delivery - take it to a twisty road, keep the revs above 4k and then tell me it feels slow...

Panicracing

Problem is, its going to cost you a lot more wedge for that bit more power, maybe the price of the GS should be considered against its age and performance.

Saying that, 5 years, thats quite a bit of time so cant blame you for a bit of a change. You tried a GTS MC Shift or Strad?
Gts and Strad were both on my radar when I purchased the E63 and still are, also I did test drive and Alfa QV which I was very impressed with but at the time unsure on the Alfa Romeo depreciation and reliability so I played safe with the AMG as owned a few in the past and always been good to me, also an 18month old car with 12k miles that had lost over half it's new value and got a pretty good price. Mercedes and Maserati are both great brands but totally different animals with good and bad in both. The GTS/Strad option is tempting as it's not all bhp and speed and the 4.2 is not great on torque as we know and the AMG is pushing 950nm and 650bhp. Last time I drove a 4.7 I noticed massive difference. Not driven a Strad yet so hopefully that will put a big smile on my face.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Having just taken delivery of a Stradale I was able to drive it back to back with my GS. They are totally different cars and if you just want straight line speed I probably wouldn't look at either. The GS on the North Yorks road is far more manageable than the Stradale unless you are better driver than me. The Ghibli Cup could most likely out drive both on the same twisty roads before planting you in a bush and again you need to be a better driver than me to fully exploit it.

The GS over 4K is a sublime machine and handles wonderfully over poor surfaces and is quite forgiving and still looks wonderful as in the blue car. After five years of ownership - my GS is being moved on this weekend and know that I'll be tormented whenever I see one. Sure things have moved on -when I bought a 147 GTA with 250bhp it was nearly unheard of. Now that's just a tepid hatch.

If someone gave me a performance German car I'd take it but couldn't put my hand in my pocket to finance it especially taking into account their crippling depreciation
(apart from a few special 911s).

For me its about buying a car that puts a smile on your face, having genuine character as well as not looking like the whole of the sales fleet.

Swedish Paul

What’s the point of 550bhp anyway. You squirt the throttle for a couple of seconds, do any more than 100mph and you are banned. Stuck in traffic , maybe refinement is more appealing that outtight speed. And of course, one would expect a car that is 12 years newer to be more refined. Even a mid range ford or vauxhall will probably feel more relaxed. But free flowing by a and B roads, there’s not a much better place to be than a GS.

And of course, nobody comes up to you and says ‘what a nice Mercedes’. However, when you have a Maserati....

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
My daily driver is a BMW 440i with the MPPSK pack which boosts power and makes it very loud in sports mode. Its easy to drive, comfortable and feels much faster than the Maserati. And I like them both in different ways, though if I had to choose one, it would be the BMW. However, the BM is 10 years younger than the Maser and technology has moved on so much in that time that its not a true comparison. The Maserati makes me feel special when I drive it and if I keep it as a treat, then I will always enjoy both.

Doing a couple of thousand miles in my new to me M140i, on paper, it is a match on performance to the Maser.
When I drove the Maser for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it still gave me a big grin.
I think more due to the noise, down shift blips, larini over run etc!
In some respects it amazed me more, for having the same performance as the M140i but in a bigger heavier car.

Jnismith

Doing a couple of thousand miles in my new to me M140i, on paper, it is a match on performance to the Maser.
When I drove the Maser for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it still gave me a big grin.
I think more due to the noise, down shift blips, larini over run etc!
In some respects it amazed me more, for having the same performance as the M140i but in a bigger heavier car.

The MPPSK pack in mine gives me all the noises, blips and overruns. I can also get machine gun sounds out of it when taking my foot off in second/sport. Also feels much faster than the Maser. Not sure if you can get it for the M140i but if you can, do it. Sorry to the OP for going off subject.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
The MPPSK pack in mine gives me all the noises, blips and overruns. I can also get machine gun sounds out of it when taking my foot off in second/sport. Also feels much faster than the Maser. Not sure if you can get it for the M140i but if you can, do it. Sorry to the OP for going off subject.

No you can't from BMW....but it has been 'made to fit' apparently with a little cutting here and there!

Attachments

• 20170725_173701.jpg
    20170725_173701.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 97

Andyk

5 years is a good innings but time to move on...To many great cars in the world to try before you peg it...