Bonnet Cable

Mr S

Just went to wash the car, and wanted to release the bonnet, but it feels like the cable has pulled through the latch, and is now floppy, along with the emergency release handle hidden away. I have done a search, and found the guy in Australia that took the grill out, and the plastic shroud to get to the cable, but I feel this won't help me, as the cable feels like its not connected to anything on the latch end. Don't want to spend ages removing bits and bobs to waste my time.
Hoping someone can help suggest something.

miket

Have a look at the latch in the footwell, you will have to remove or pull the carpet back to see if the cables are there and are detached from the lever give them a pull from there and hopefully you'll get in, the emergency cable is always less tensioned than the duty cable in normal use so should be intact!
I've just had an issue with mine that was different to yours, the best way in if the above fails is likely to be via removal of the air filter housing and engine pipe from the near side wheel arch, you could reach the lever on the near side from there which is connected to the off side lever, best of luck!

Mr S

Thanks Miket. I strongly suspect that iv pulled the cable away from the latch at the bonnet end, as thats what it feels like, but il give it a go. Failing that, its wheel off...

RoaryRati

Yes - mine 'broke' a long time ago, so can't remember how it was fixed - although from looking at the carpet around the lever, I doubt it was the first time it had happened. And to save it happening again I always make sure my hand/head is well inside the vehicle, rather than pulling at a slight angle from 'outside' the car. Hope that helps for future reference.

Mr S

Is the cable routing the same for the LHD/RHD cars? Obviously the handle is in a different position, and was wondering if the same routing on both, or if they used the same cable, and just routed it down the other side.

miket

RHD cars have the lever in the drivers footwell with the cables going through the offside engine bay, across the front of the car and then returning rear wards and finally towards the near side lever, which in turn is attached to the offside lever!
LHD cars have the lever in the drivers footwell with a much simpler route to what would be their off side lever, basically without crossing the front of the car!

Mr S

So do i need to go in through the drivers side or passenger side wheel arch to get the bonnet open?