2005 QP - new clutch quotes - HROwen £5.4K, Nuvola £3.1K - any better?

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
And they’re an MD, not an indie. The parts are £2k inc vat (clutch, release bearing, spigot bearing) so it’s either a right bargain or too good to be true...

bigbob

And they're an MD, not an indie. The parts are £2k inc vat (clutch, release bearing, spigot bearing) so it's either a right bargain or too good to be true...

They couldn't have had the parts in stock for ages and get very few calls now so want to move them on.

Andyk

If you compare that with Charlie's Mini ahe was quoted by DL £1,800 on a car that cost £14k new.

So against a £80-90k GT its not that expensive in comparison Andy.

Remember you saying that Pete...That's silly money as well......my M5 clutch was £580 which make the Mini and the Maserati look like they are ripping you off.

TridentTested

Still hope I'm 6 months+ from needing to get the clutch replaced (55% wear)

You could be six months off replacement, or you could be years away. These readings are notoriously inaccurate. I would drive the car until you need to have her flat-bedded to the workshop.

outrun

If you compare that with Charlie's Mini ahe was quoted by DL £1,800 on a car that cost £14k new.

So against a £80-90k GT its not that expensive in comparison Andy.

I did our Mini one recently. Main dealer quote for clutch and flywheel on my 2007 Cooper S was about £1800. I got it done for £1k cash.

safrane

We were very lucky that they priced matched our local BMW Mini indi... £750inc vat.

MDs make a packet on services as they think everyone is a business driver.

philw696

Remember you saying that Pete...That's silly money as well......my M5 clutch was £580 which make the Mini and the Maserati look like they are ripping you off.

A lot easier to get the gearbox out of a M5 than a modern Mini.

Andyk

That's mad Phil.....Don't expect to pay that sort of money for a daily run around hatch back.

philw696

Its the time involved in getting modern front wheel drive stuff apart and back together.
Makes a rear wheel drive look easy even on a high performance one Andy

rs48635

You could be six months off replacement, or you could be years away. These readings are notoriously inaccurate. I would drive the car until you need to have her flat-bedded to the workshop.

Ditto the above ^^^^

Bought my 40k 2006 QP sport GT in August 2014, with a clutch that "might need doing soon" (according to phone call with indie about slight squeak / squeal taking up drive in first gear).
My last reading said 90% worn in 2016, but still driving and working just fine. Current mileage 89000.

Maybe I am just lucky, drive really carefully, or many have thrown out a serviceable clutch to avoid a breakdown.

Wanderer

Ditto the above ^^^^

Bought my 40k 2006 QP sport GT in August 2014, with a clutch that "might need doing soon" (according to phone call with indie about slight squeak / squeal taking up drive in first gear).
My last reading said 90% worn in 2016, but still driving and working just fine. Current mileage 89000.

Maybe I am just lucky, drive really carefully, or many have thrown out a serviceable clutch to avoid a breakdown.

Mine's on 106k, clutch changed on 98k, and it's was the first one. I have all the service history all done by Charles Hurst of Belfast. Had it checked on SD3 on about 103k said 32% worn, I agree these reading mean little. Picks up and changes fine, no squeals, occasion lurch 1st or 2nd when it gets confused sometimes, but 3, 4, 5 and 6 almost imperceptible....

jemgee

Does the occasional 'gear unavailable' message on quick double downshift have any bearing on the clutch wear? Also I will be soon taking it for a service at 48k miles - is it worth checking if transmission oil and filter should be changed?

safrane

Change those fluids and filter every year on my GS... even when miles were less than 2.5k last time between visits.

Oh and a duble gear shift is no problem.

Pramrod

I think you're right. Plenty of squeals. Oftentime a bit mad lurching, on 1st, virtually never on 2nd. But then settles down and she drives fine.
Funnily enough after Colchester Maserati did the estimate she came back and that clutch was really sweet. I don't if they adjusted it - but there was no charge.

I think the concern is I don't like driving around with a car that might need to be flatbedded sometime in the next 6-18 months. So might avoid planning a road trip on the continent or Scotland. I guess you just need to have the plan in place, breakdown cover etc. Hire something decent if she does go etc.
Because there aren't really an 'early warning signs' before it goes. Right?

Also I guess I'd like to know what nice new clutch, properly set up, feels like (Does anyone find they get a bit 'sensitised" to how the clutch is feeling? London driving doesn't help - although being up near St Albans is a better than previously in Mill Hill.)

I think I need to get these estimates in. Have plan for if (when) it happens and then stop focusing on it!

I can understand your concern driving around in a car that might need a flat-bed due to this level of wear suddenly leaving you stranded. In that case, consider having it replaced it readjusted as its lurching in 1st gear.

Based around St Albans gives you a choice of indys. If you are prepared to travel, I'd recommend Autoshield.

safrane

The squeal sound like the spigot bearing (like an owl hoot?)

Re the clutch 'going' my GS went at c42% due to clutch tang failure...fully worn out clutches let go far more gently and give you lots of warning missing gears, failing to select the one you want and the ocasional red light.