interactive door bells

safrane

Seem to recall one of the tribe is into the 'Access' systems world and I also suspect some of you may have this kit at home.

Any suggestions on what to get?

Ps we are bith on Android.

CatmanV2

I have quite a lot of automation kit at home. I simply don't get the doorbells. If you're at home you are just not going to not get up and open the door surely?

What are you trying to achieve?

C

azapa

The wireless doorbells are great, mainly when you are NOT there. You can still answer via an android app and give the impression you are.

Not sure if this is what you are after. But search amazon for wireless doorbell or wifi doorbell.

Be warned though, that the level of product available today, like the "Ring" brand, being a better one, is still a few years from being perfect. Bad quality audio and video, range problems, hard to set up - are all comments you will see.

safrane

More for not being at home in the week rather than being to lazy to get off the sofa.

CatmanV2

The wireless doorbells are great, mainly when you are NOT there. You can still answer via an android app and give the impression you are.

How does it give the impression you're there? This what confuses me.

Current Ring advert:
Home owner: Hello
Miscreant: Er hi! I'm offering a free window cleaning service
Homeowner: No thanks. I'm just giving the kids a bath

What? So you've heard the door bell. Put the kids down. Dried your hands, picked up your phone, unlocked it opened the app and then had this conversation.

Or you've just ignored the doorbell

Or you've just wandered downstairs with a towel.

Short view: If they use the Ring, they aren't home would be my guess.

We have a burglar alarm and cameras that can call us if they are tripped. What bloody use is that if I'm on a beach in Mexico, a conference in California or even at work in London, or even at the local Tesco which is a 7 minute walk. Sure the cameras might take the photo, but they really don't need to alert me.

Anway, each to their own

C

azapa

I guess miscreants are different world over. here, 90% of burgaries start with a doorbell 'test' to see in anyone is home. Many have nannies who are there, even when the cars are not parked up front, so the 'test' is an easy call.

I have cameras etc, but will be fitting a wifi doorbell, when they are more reliable.

CatmanV2

I guess miscreants are different world over. here, 90% of burgaries start with a doorbell 'test' to see in anyone is home. Many have nannies who are there, even when the cars are not parked up front, so the 'test' is an easy call.

I have cameras etc, but will be fitting a wifi doorbell, when they are more reliable.

My point using a video doorbell rather proves you're NOT at home. Or you'd just get up and open the door. Unless you're worried about someone at the door going for a house invasion, in which case it might make sense. But I rather doubt there's much cross over between opportunistic burglars and that next level up....

C

rockits

I'm with Catman here & don't get all this Ring doorbell stuff. I get it when your there if you have a weird property with outbuildings. We have these issues but I'm just building a new office in the garden soon & will integrate everything into one of our an iLOK access control solutions.

Ring got bought by Amazon for 699m GBP which seems like an awful lot of cash to little me. I am sure they want to use the company's tech & people to design a way they can deliver to people's houses when they are not there. I know they were looking to deliver to people's boots in cars & look at various ways to allow one time coded access to boots & houses & all sorts as we spoke to them about it. Similar to their lockers I guess which I think is a very good idea/solution.

As Catman has said to me as a potential burglar if you have a Ring there is a likelihood you are not there if you answer the call but don't answer the door. There maybe one case in a 1000 when you can't get to the door in time when it rings.

Many have alarms and CCTV but they are a mild deterent at best. We have them at home & office by default. It is of course better to have them than not but don't expect them to prevent a crime as it won't. The criminals don't care any more about cameras. Unless a serious crime takes place such as a murder the police don't want to know or don't have the resources to deal with. These guys/girls aren't going to be found.

There is a ton of clever tech out there & we can do lots of clever things now with access control in various ways. We can link into smart building systems & CCTV & energy control systems to trigger things & turn on/off lights of air con or anything.

There is certainly a small place/use for Ring & systems like it but I would say a majority of their installions are for the wrong reason or not achieving much if anything. Each to their own & if people want to consume/spend it is their prerogative. Just don't moan to me when you realise how much you have paid for Ring & possible monthly subscriptions for goodness knows how many years.

This is where the true value of the company is with ongoing monthly/yearly subscriptions. As you can do similar for less or without any ongoing subscriptions or tying/committing yourselves to Ring....why would you?

Security both physical & cyber is a hot topic & will be for some years. So many homes/offices/networks etc. are seriously insecure & we are making it worse often by rushing out more tech to solve 1st world problems we don't have. We are creating a ton of additional data & resources that the planet has to supply power & fabrication for that is often not really essential. The planet ends up suffering. The level of waste and resistence to change or delay in change is really concerning now.

If a professional thief wants to get in they will. If a professional thief wants something they will get it. You will never stop this Ring or otherwise....well legally!

Some brazen thief's might even talk back to you & say I'm burgling your house & video it themselves to publish it on You Tube. It wouldnt surprise me just for the bragging rights.

You need to be careful as always when filming a public area. They need to be tuned only to film your property I understood. Do you need a licensed or need to display a sign of recording video to a public are or area open to public movements?

safrane

Thank you for your observations and comments.

As a person who has worked in the criminal justice system for thirty years and their partner who is a consultant psychiatrists in the same field,I think we are both well aware of the behaviour of our criminal population.

With the property being rural and spread out, even when we are at home we could be far from the farm.

rockits

I could understand & appreciate that. Seems like it could be an ideal for you Peter. I have a similar situation but not really too bothered if I miss a delivery or anyone who knocks/rings.

There are plenty of other options you could look at with cheap camera's ringers with SIP dialers etc. & all sorts but maybe a bit more involved & less easy than a Ring style solution out the box. I just despise tying myself into monthly subscriptions for stuff but I guess there are value added benefits for it for some.

It is becoming harder & harder to avoid companies like Amazon h similar now due to their massive global size/weight.

safrane

Thanks for the info that there is a subscription... was not aware (although cost not an issue)

rockits

I don't think there was initially a subscription with Ring when it came out & for a while. Seems to be something that was introduced over time or recently.

The one thing I start to have issues with now is trust. To trust a massive company are going to secure my personal details & data secure or well enough. Sites & systems are getting hacked left right & centre.

It is a great business model that works well to have subscription systems with ongoing monthly revenues. Hook them all in for free to start with....then introuduce a paid for subscription after everyone is heavily reliant on commited to the system...then gradually squeeze the price up with small incremental increases. Then sell the business for millions. I'm trying it myself! Maybe it will be a little less unscrupulous though.

We used LogMeIn for a while years back when it was free. Then got a business Central paid for subscription yearly. They increased the price substantially suddenly with no little notice. With nearly 500 machines with agents in being used for remote access we had little choice but to pay it. We looked at alternatives that following year but by the time we have taken in to consideration time to move it wasn't worth it. Then again the next year at very short notice the price doubled again so was 4 times the original price we signed up for. That was the last straw & we found/moved to using Splashtop. Was a bit painful for a while & took some time but we are there now, it does what we need & is tenth of the cost of LogMeIn now. I just don't like being held to ransom.

I fear that Ring will use a similar model & squeeze prices up however I guess the investment in the system & increased priced would be much less for one home set up. Therefore less of an issue.

Security especially cyber security is my biggest concern & fear for all at the moment. That is coming from someone in this industry & have been for 25 years. There is a ton of fraud happening & this will only grow. It is harder to detect often & hard & tine consuming to trace. Especially when our state protection forces are woefully ill prepared, woefully under resourced, woefully under funded & woefully behind the times.

They do a great job don't get me wrong but are not fighting a fair fight or one that is remotely even. Sorry a bit off piste!

rockits

I'd agree & would be my use as well. I guess that isn't very mainstream & not so much demand.

Mattp

Sorry, but the child in me saw 'interactive door bell' instantly assumed that all doorbell are interactive!

But then I find signs for 'accessible toilets' rather amusing too... wondering where an establishments inaccessible toilets are located.... :)

CatmanV2

Sorry, but the child in me saw 'interactive door bell' instantly assumed that all doorbell are interactive!

But then I find signs for 'accessible toilets' rather amusing too... wondering where an establishments inaccessible toilets are located.... :)

Hehehe.

'This door must be kept locked at all times' Why didn't you just build a wall then?

C

TridentTested

Great write up, thanks.

Many have alarms and CCTV but they are a mild deterent at best. We have them at home & office by default. It is of course better to have them than not but don't expect them to prevent a crime as it won't. The criminals don't care any more about cameras.

Sadly this true. To give you one example recently. We live in a concierged block of flats. Some hoodies forced the front door and the concierge walked up to them and confronted them. They told him to get out of the way, they wanted to come in. He told them to eff off and that they are being recorded on CCTV from all angles. That didn't phase them in the least, they told him to step aside or they'd cut him. Luckily for him some people leaving the building interrupted this little stand-off and the hoodies legged it. The police were called and they shrugged their shoulders.

rockits

Agreed. It is a case of probability & stats. Unfortunately the chances of them being caught are low, then if they are caught prosecution is not guaranteed & far from it. Then the sentence might be weak if at all. There is not enough of a real detergent to these criminals IMHO.

Then if they are caught we the tax payer lose as it costs circa 65k per year per inmate to keep them locked up. Pretty much a lose, lose, lose for the law abiding citizen.

Who says crime doesn't pay....I'm not so sure. I'm planning my raft of hacks, burglaries & robberies right now....joke BTW!