4.7 Oval exhausts on 4.2

jamesbilluk

Hi all

Whilst I like the X pipe, I'm looking to get a bit more volume, so have started to look at the over system, there's a few on eBay, would the back boxes increase the sound? Also, how easy would it be to get the valves system going?

Many thanks

James

CatmanV2

You need the valved boxes and an FD control kit (or just leave them open)

It will sound rather lovely, although different from the 4.7 as the valves will be fully open all the time.

The control kit took about 90 minutes from start to finish. Get the people that fit the exhaust to run the vacuum hose while it's on the ramp.

This is what I have.

If you want I can (probably) get a kit shipped to a colleague in the US and bring it back with me early June.

jamesbilluk

Brilliant, when I have some funds in, I’ll get some orderd! Will have to think weather running the x pipe with them will make it too loud..

CatmanV2

Brilliant, when I have some funds in, I’ll get some orderd! Will have to think weather running the x pipe with them will make it too loud..

I had an h-pipe. I felt it was too loud. There's a vid on Youtube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RKolMp47Bs&t=1s&index=1&list=LLl7Q1mJb4d28KQ58DhBJZDg

Quick word of advice. When you buy the boxes either ask the seller to check the valves move freely, or be prepared to spend some time freeing them up and / or cutting out and replacing. They have something of a tendency to seize. I suspect exacerbated by people that leave their cars in Sport mode (no idea if it resets after ignition off) which means the valves always stay open and rust in that state.

Cheers

C

jamesbilluk

Very good advice, thank you. I’ll drop them a message. Theees another 2 for sale in Germany which I’ll ask about

Interesting about the h pipe as well. I may get the x pipe removed and original one put on on its trip to its service, I have found there’s a drone coming the center of the car with that one.

jamesbilluk

Sorry for all the questions, how are they on the motorway with the valves open? Is there much of a drone? We have a trip to Spa I may with it...

Doohickey

Velociraptor
II suspect exacerbated by people that leave their cars in Sport mode (no idea if it resets after ignition off) which means the valves always stay open and rust in that state.

The car resets itself when you switch off so it's probably the usual Italian build quality!

Sorry for all the questions, how are they on the motorway with the valves open? Is there much of a drone? We have a trip to Spa I may with it...

Just had the x-pipe put back on mine and there's almost no difference on the motorway. It was a bit droney on my 4.2 standard exhaust but seems fine on this one. The noise in sport is epic!

ofenomeno99

I had the oval exhausts on the 4.2 when I had it. Sounds is absolutely glorious and very similar to 4.7 Mc shift.

It does drone quite a bit to the point where it can be annoying if you haven’t got the valve control installed.

Other thing that was different was that when in manual upshift in sports mode it does this “fart” sound that the Mc shift doesn’t. Not a bad thing - just different. And although it does crackle when you let go of throttle, it’s not as exaggerated as the Mc shift and it doesn’t do the pops and bangs.

You really can’t go wrong with it though - completely transforms the car

jamesbilluk

Sounds just what I’m looking for! Nice that’s it’s OEM as well. I did look at the Larini system, but prefer the look of this.

Ah yes, mike seems to make that sound with the X pipe installed at the moment, doesn’t sound too bad.

CatmanV2

Very good advice, thank you. I'll drop them a message. Theees another 2 for sale in Germany which I'll ask about

Interesting about the h pipe as well. I may get the x pipe removed and original one put on on its trip to its service, I have found there's a drone coming the center of the car with that one.

If it's Modena, it will be horrifically over priced.

No problem. In honesty, it's a bit dull cruising on motorway. But then you just press the button on the remote and it's all fine.

C

CatmanV2

And although it does crackle when you let go of throttle, it’s not as exaggerated as the Mc shift and it doesn’t do the pops and bangs.

You really can’t go wrong with it though - completely transforms the car

Umm, it does do pops and bangs, if you're braking 'with enthusiasm' while downshifting at the same time :D

C

ofenomeno99

Umm, it does do pops and bangs, if you're braking 'with enthusiasm' while downshifting at the same time :D

C

I don't remember if I ever tried braking with enthusiasm and downshifting but I remember my MC Shift really banged and popped so if it does the same thing than all the better for it for James ! :D

jamesbilluk

If it's Modena, it will be horrifically over priced.

No problem. In honesty, it's a bit dull cruising on motorway. But then you just press the button on the remote and it's all fine.

C

They seem to be about £830 each...

Definitely will get the valves operator then :)