Headlight washers

P R

So in investigating the apparent leaking wash bottle, and lack of water to the headlamp washers (I assumed it was a pipe had "popped out"), all appeared fine, they couldnt find any leaks

They did remove the headlight pump and discovered that although it was powered up, it didnt actually manage to get any water out to the headlights. This, from next month would be an MOT fail btw..

Luckily, on googling the part number it happens to have the same part number as an Alfa Stelvio. A quick visit to the Alfa dealer they said it looked (from photo I took) like a MOPAR part and it "should" fit. They also helpfully said if not I could bring it back. So that was around £70 inc VAT. I have ordered one and will pick it up when it goes in for its MOT next month.

Little aside, the headlight washers actually activate every 11 washes of the windscreen when the headlights are on! (says so in handbook too)

safrane

Every 11 washes??? So how do they know at the MOT that it has failed?... do it 12 times!!!

MrMickS

I'm pretty sure mine washes the headlights every third spray with the headlights on. It always washes on the first wash after turning the lights on too.

Good to know about the alternative part though. Perhaps we should start a Ghibli/QP VI alternative parts thread.

P R

I'm pretty sure mine washes the headlights every third spray with the headlights on. It always washes on the first wash after turning the lights on too.

Good to know about the alternative part though. Perhaps we should start a Ghibli/QP VI alternative parts thread.

Mine does it every 11 times but always the first time the lights have been switched on. (I know as I was "working" the system as they were trying to see what was going on)

@Safrane - I'm sure they'd be ok with it anyway, but I like things to work.

P R

So the good news is the part is the same. The bad news is it hasn't fixed it. The new pump pumps water ok but still doesn't wash the headlights. They then put air througb the system and it lifted the washers so doesn't appear to be a blockage.. so God knows what's going on...

MrMickS

I've got one that doesn't go away properly. Slight misalignment with the bumper I think.

P R

Having spoke to the main man at the garage, the air pushed the washer up but then didnt come out, though the nozzles are clear. Some sort of blockage somewhere

P R

They had another look at it yesterday. Disconnected, the new pump sprays water right across their large garage. Connected up, the washers rise up on the water pressure but nothing comes out....
They then started to take the bumper off but I told them to leave it. I will mention it when its in for its 75k mile service, see what the MD says..

MrMickS

They had another look at it yesterday. Disconnected, the new pump sprays water right across their large garage. Connected up, the washers rise up on the water pressure but nothing comes out....
They then started to take the bumper off but I told them to leave it. I will mention it when its in for its 75k mile service, see what the MD says..

Going to do the same with my alignment problem. The OS one doesn't go back in correctly, but I've had that before. Dealer should be able to sort it as part of the 50k mile service. That's going to be a little while now though with me not driving.

P R

If they can't fix them I'll pull the fuse. The new units come in a pair with connecting tube at over £500 for the part alone

MrMickS

If they can't fix them I'll pull the fuse. The new units come in a pair with connecting tube at over £500 for the part alone

Won't that give you an MOT failure these days? I thought that the washers were a requirement for the headlights fitted.

CatmanV2

Won't that give you an MOT failure these days? I thought that the washers were a requirement for the headlights fitted.

I believe so if they are HID units.
This is plumbing FFS, not rocket science. There's a blocked pipe somewhere. Probably in the spray nozzle

C

P R

I believe so if they are HID units.
This is plumbing FFS, not rocket science. There's a blocked pipe somewhere. Probably in the spray nozzle

C
You'd think so. However, the water is getting to the washers, as the pressure is successfully lifting them up. The nozzles themselves are clear (easily removed and checked). Its just that once the water has lifted the washers, the water doesnt come out. So then you'd think the internal valve that switches from the "lift" to the "spray" isnt working, but then it would be too coincidental to have both sides fail in the same way at exactly the same time..!?

safrane

I am sure on my last car that the system used a second pump to spray fluid.

I would definitely hear a loud 'buzz' as water was sprayed out but no sound as the arms raised.

P R

This has 2 pumps but one is for the windscreen washers.. the other for the headlamp washers.

P R

So the internal one way valve has failed on the NS unit. £1032 to replace!

outrun

Call the breakers! No way I'd want to pay that for a headlight washer which not exactly an essential item.

P R

Call the breakers! No way I'd want to pay that for a headlight washer which not exactly an essential item.

I've tried to source part, Eurospares have it for about £520 and bumper has to come off etc..
Its an MOT fail now
And its leaking washer fluid from it, so will probably have to bite the bullet. Annoyingly Maserati answer about goodwill was since I didnt extend the warranty they arent interested. Charmed.

chrisweb

So in investigating the apparent leaking wash bottle, and lack of water to the headlamp washers (I assumed it was a pipe had "popped out"), all appeared fine, they couldnt find any leaks

They did remove the headlight pump and discovered that although it was powered up, it didnt actually manage to get any water out to the headlights. This, from next month would be an MOT fail btw..

Luckily, on googling the part number it happens to have the same part number as an Alfa Stelvio. A quick visit to the Alfa dealer they said it looked (from photo I took) like a MOPAR part and it "should" fit. They also helpfully said if not I could bring it back. So that was around £70 inc VAT. I have ordered one and will pick it up when it goes in for its MOT next month.

Little aside, the headlight washers actually activate every 11 washes of the windscreen when the headlights are on! (says so in handbook too)

Hi P R ...... I know this is an old thread and my issue isnt the same as yours> i have lost the Headlight Jetwash Lid and the nozzle which attaches to the pump on Front RH side of my car (it flew off while driving on the motorway), a 2015 Ghibli, curious as to the part of your message regarding other brand parts that fit, they may fit the purpose for me too, I,ve looked at replacing just the part that i need, you cant..... it comes in a pack 2x jetwashes and all the hoses and costs between £650.00 and £750.00