Coupe or Gransport

Sparks

Hi All

Hoping for some advice.

Following discussions with a prominent forum member (I suspect he will realise who I talking about) I had come to the conclusion that I should up my sights (and Budget) and aim for a sorted and looked after Gransport.

However, I have just been contacted regarding a 24K 2003 4200 which I believe to be from a Private Collection of a local businessman.

My question is, should I consider this as on the surface it does appear to be a well looked after example or stick to my decision and go the extra £10k+ for a Gransport?

Both my heart and head say to go with a Gransport for the improvements and youthfulness over the early 4200's but I can hear my Bank Manager clenching over the extra spend. In reality, the money is not the issue, but £10k left in the the bank is £10k in the bank after all.

So, is a Gransport actually that much better? I really hope so!

conaero

Forum Owner
Simple answer:

The GS is the better car, there is not denying it.

Pay £28k for a lowish mileage GS now, drive it for 3 years, keep the milage under 50k and you will get £35k back for it

Pay £18k for the 4200 you have been offered, drive it for 3 years, keep the milage under 50K and you will get your money back.

Do the maths!

Swedish Paul

I can’t comment on the differences between the 2, but if you’re hankering after a GranSport, then do it. You’ll only get buyers remorse afterwards. And if you do, you’ll start to dislike your purchase even if it’s a great car. Unless you have some plan to keep for a couple of years and then move on, in which case it doesn’t matter.

Just my 10 cents worth....

Ewan

Yes its worth it. If you look up contemporary reviews (such as from EVO magazine, for example) they all had some reservations about the original 4200 but then loved the GS. Of course, I'd rather have an excellent 4200 over a shabby example of a GS, but condition being equal, in my opinion the GS is worth the extra.

D Walker

Drive both and judge each on condition, very little if anything that I can discern in performance between the two, my 4200 pretty much had a better interior as it had GS seats, at the weekend I finally learnt what Peter (Safrane) says about the harsher ride on the bigger wheels etc, that said, both are great cars, RG has a few GS in and is well placed to advise on what may suit your wants/needs/aspirations....

conaero

Forum Owner
The power no, but the handling and gear change is miles better (when set up right) which adds massively to the overall experience.

Sparks

Thank you all!

You have confirmed my thoughts.

D Walker - by RG I imagine you are talking about a ‘prominent forum member’
Hmm..it felt very unfair to asked advise on whether to buy from someone else after the valuable advice he has already given.

Again thank you all. I am really looking forward to becoming a Maserati owner As they all seem to be great people

CatmanV2

I doubt there are many who have dealt with Dicky that would do anything other than give a whole hearted endorsement.

C

Andyk

Simple answer:

The GS is the better car, there is not denying it.

Pay £28k for a lowish mileage GS now, drive it for 3 years, keep the milage under 50k and you will get £35k back for it

Pay £18k for the 4200 you have been offered, drive it for 3 years, keep the milage under 50K and you will get your money back.

Do the maths!

This.....The GS was the closest Maserati got to a 911 competitor......Or so EVO said......So when people say that you buy a Cayman as you can afford a 911 do you buy a 4200 as you can't stretch to a GS........Stands back and heads for cover .....

Andyk

The power no, but the handling and gear change is miles better (when set up right) which adds massively to the overall experience.

This again.....Never owned either but driven many and some back to back on track......

redsonnylee

I looked at many 4200s but decided the extra money for a GS was worth it. Bought mine from RG and very happy.

safrane

As most know I preferred my 4200s over my current GS.

Yes the GS performs the sports car bit better than the 42'. However I use mine as a GT and thats where the GS starts to show it's faults.

Try both as there are good and bad points in both and think about how you will really use the car. Magazines reviews are tosh...who really drives on public roads like a loon with the rear end drifting out? But mkst will take it on a long trip across europe on harsh roads with their partner and kids...then you do want a bit of damping and a reasonably relaxed drive.

I also had a 2003 (04MY) 4200 as my first Maserati and loved it, I prefer it's clean looks and the original chrome grill.

But at the end of the day buy what you want not what a load of us encourage you to do.

Vampyrebat

Couldn't of put it better Saf! That's what is so obvious on these discussions, yes, we all share a common interest in loving Maseratis but we all have our own preferences. No point in disagreement, we like what we like. And that's what makes us different. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things!

Corranga

Safrane has it right I think. Only you can decide, and know what you're priories are.

The motoring press hailed the GranSport and many think it looks better.
The interior is sportier and you loose the giant phone appearance of the infotainment system, plus the bigger wheels and surf boards give it a much more aggressive look and the valved exhausts help if you want it to be quiet.

The original 4200 is a much more subtle looking car but no less beautiful, and is an utter bargain for what you get.

Then there is the face lift car, a sort of hybrid of the 2, or perhaps a ******* love child if you prefer!

Virtually a GranSport underneath in terms of driving experience, with sportier wheels in a normal not ride ruining size.
It manages to fit in between the graceful look of the original and the aggressiveness of the GS. It was largely ignored by the press and so doesn't get the value increase of the GS.

The GS is likely the best investment, but is riskier due to the higher ticket price.
The original gets you a very special car for not much cash.
The face lift gets you a GS type experience with less initial outlay.

Your choice.
If you're sold on a GS are you going to see one in your 4200 and regret it?
Will the 10k in the bank make you feel better about it?
If you're stretching to a GS, does the GT come into it...

1 thing is for sure, it's a great decision to have, make sure you enjoy making it!

rockits

Each to their own & all will have a difference of opinion. There is no right or wrong just personal preference or personal opinion.

I'll duck from Peter but if comparing an early 'classico' 4200 & GS I would say the GS would be the better option for the extra 10k. If comparing a later facelift 4200 with a GS then it is a completely different scenario & much more difficult. Indeed I had this exact same decision & issue a few years ago.

I went for a very late & rare facelift 2007/07 4200 CC bought off the original/1st owner with only 11k miles on the clock. Three years later it is on 14k miles! It has GS 19's & looks the same as a GS outside short of the side boards which I am personally not a fan of. Also I preferred the 4200 interior to the GS interior. The facelift 4200 is pretty much identical to drive to a GS of same year & the suspension can be dropped to match the GS spec. I think 10mm & 15mm from memory front/rear.

My personal thoughts & opinions were different from others as above. Do I regret not buying a GS? No. Never have & never will. Would I have regretted buying a GS over what I bought? No not really....both would have been great.

The 4200 rides better on 18's than 19's but that is the generally accepted norm from any make/model. I prefer the steering wheel & seats on a GS to the 4200 ones. The rest of the interior/dash/centre console I prefer the 4200 over a GS. The NIT & Audio is not great in either probably better in the GS. However I never use it. It turns itself on when I turn on the car & I immediately turn it off.

If I hadn't have bought the very best 4200 I could find with such a rare mileage/history I would have bought either a cheaper facelift 4200 or a GS. It was so rare to find what I did & I've not seen a similar or close to facelift 4200 that has come up for sale since. I always wanted a facelift 4200 & decided after a year of looking/lurking that was my 1st choice/option. When this one came along I moved extremely quickly to buy it (within hours!) & never regretted it or looked back. I paid quite strong money at the time but it is certainly worth more than that now. A GS I could have bought for the same money then would be worth no more than my 4200 now. Therefore in summary it was a fairly rare opportunity & different to most options available.

I still personally don't think a GS is 10k better than an equivalent or nice facelift 4200 but the market or most don't seem to share the same opinion or agree. However I do think it is worth 10k over an earlier Classico 4200. Unless like Peter says you have an exceptional example available.

My 4200 was featured in Modern Classics a few months back if you wanted to check it out. I'm also just outside Potters Bar if that is local to you & you fancy coffee & a chat at any time.

Sorry for the long post but thought it may help. Feel free to ask any more questions or PM me for anything off forum.

658e76e2cb3d03dc60a792070c82bdd3.jpg
043b6213476091eaeb82c0dfbf619667.jpg
1a7aacf052ddd26eeaa66c1c3fda9df3.jpg

rockits

Yours is just a great example and the perfect 4200 arguably.
Thanks Andy. Your welcome to your opinion....just happens to be the right one!

Only joking....I'm not fussed if you mix the bad words in if needed....I'm very thick skinned & always prefer the truth however much it hurts.

To be honest though very low mileage well looked after examples of any car...4200, GS, Maser or otherwise are becoming much harder to find so always rare & will be sought after.

I have a list of maybe a dozen cars I would love to buy but none have come up yet that hit my requirements. Most because the prices are too far north!

nfm

Lots of well made points above. I wanted a manual and saving £10k v a GS when the facelift gives you 95% of the experience was compelling man maths. Also, these cars are GTs, not out and out sport cars, so agree with the Europe crossing point made above. I do a lot of longer trips and the manual makes traffic/town management that bit easier as a bonus.

Each to their own, all models have real appeal.

Corridore

+1 for the manual gearbox. I just love reving mine out and changing gear, not many opportunities to have such an exciting/exotic naturally aspirated V8 and manual gearbox combo at this price point