Dateless Number plate

montravia

I'm going through agonies.
Not sure whether to stay with my current 4.2, or go for a younger 4.7. A bit of the devil one knows......

She's a '57, and just about right for me save for a couple of mods and a threat or two.

If I kept her, and as she's such a good sound gal, doesn't look her age, I've debated internally as to changing the number plate.

Never considered this before, the process is easy, but not sure whether it'd make me feel comfortable.

I'm averse to 'personalised' plates. I'm just interested in views of 'dateless' plates. It'd hide how old she is, but might just do the opposite and indicate that she's flying false colours.

Don't really care the format of the plate. An old style eg A91 HEA (nothing to do with my initials) or 1909 DH (ditto).

What are the fraternity's views?

Good or bad.

Which style/era?

Await a storm.............................................

TridentTested

I've always been against the idea of personalised plates - I always thought they were a bit of a plonker's toy - but somehow owning such a timeless machine as a Maserati made me change my mind and I bought some cheap (£250) ones.

I wasn't even too bothered with what they say, I just wanted 'dateless' as you say. As it happened nothing was available with my initials but the one I found is my partner's initials and is simple and elegant on the car.

ofenomeno99

It's a tough one - I've had both the 4.2 and 4.7 and on the road I don't think there's that much noticeable difference between the 2 that I would pay £10-15K more. Although I preferred the mc shift, the auto still has its advantages so it's not a black and white thing either.

At the time when I had the 4.2, I just bought all the mc sport extras and that satisfied my craving.

Re number plates - your life :D I personally don't care for them or see what the appeal is but I don't get offended by them either - especially on cars like the GT that pretty much have looked the same since introduction.

allandwf

It depends on why you want the 4.7? Because it's a younger car hence the dateless plate on your 4.2? If it's purely for that reason, keep the 4.2 and keep it's original plate and ignore people around you :)

MrPea

You haven't had her long and she's already not quite enough for you? Some people just can't be pleased!
I have numberplates that don't look obviously personalised unless you know my name or like reading words in plates. That said, if I could get hold of 51 PEA or 51 P without selling a kidney then I would.
A Maser is a car that often has its registration changing, so it's no issue when it flags up on an HPI check to future buyers. A GT looks better with a smaller front plate so a shorter registration is better.
Getting a cheap £250 reg that makes your car not age stamped isn't bad.

montravia

You haven't had her long and she's already not quite enough for you? Some people just can't be pleased!

Nnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, lad. I adore her. That's the dilemma. Just done a cost forecast cf replacement. I'm inclined to keep and enhance meself, Stevie, hence the question.

The age thing hasn't stopped people's appreciative smiles......................

Just don't want her naff, nor sneered at

Contigo

Sponsor
Get a plate for the car as having your name on them just looks naff and self important.

Wanderer

I bought a plate for mine S555 SVK for my initials, but never put it on, I actually prefer the NI plate thats on it now, KXZ 4221

Before that it was CBX 400 while on forecourt (again in NI) and in the South it was 06-WD-3, nice plate but not transferable in Ireland, stays with car.

25498024_10156855163510828_4324961783254152869_n.jpg

25498290_10156855163580828_2311478750868297569_n.jpg

25551939_10156855163365828_6156491516709718238_n.jpg

CatmanV2

Mrs Catman and I have 'linked' plates which are older than my GT

CM 05 MAS
and
RM 05 ALF

Mrs Catman has an 05 Alfa 147

We like them

C

Phil H

I was always of the opinion that personalised plates were ott and really not my thing. Now I've MAS plates and think they're just a bit of harmless fun.

Personally I can see no difference between personalised plates and exhaust systems that split eardrums in the next county.....

Why not have a plate if you fancy it?

PH

safrane

I hate how all plates ruin the front of a car and at times the rear.

Get as short a number/letters as possible and shrink the plate if you can.

Also keep the 4.2, its lovely and any swap will cost far more than any gain due to low px and dealers profit.

Scaf

I used to avoid private plates like the plague but someone bought me one a few years back and since then I have added another, both centred around my initials.

I have also had car specific plates
GT 08 MUS (came and with my Mustang)
D13 TVV when on my DB7 Vantage Volente and I had an ageless plate on another car that was quite close to one on a famous lemans winning car.

Live and let live is what I say .........and certainly don’t worry about what people think, they mostly think your showing off owning a Maserati anyway ! We

Swedish Paul

It’s alwAys been an issue in the uk, hence the August rush of newly registered cars. A bit daft really. Here in Sweden, it’s just three numbers and three letters. You can’t tell the age via the plate. They should really do this in the uk too.

Sounds to me, like a Northern Ireland plate is the way to go. You can see an example on my profile pic. They are geographically linked with one letter indicating the registration year, but I guarantee you that nobody outside Northern Ireland will know the year of the plate and few will even know it's a N.I. plate.
All have three preceeding letters. Those with four random numbers are as cheap as chips.
Repetitive numbers, numbers in sequence or fewer numbers, like DAZ 1 will cost more.
You can probably buy what you want from DVLA. As well as online entities offering their own.
Wikipedia explains the Northern Ireland system well. Going this route, you can have what you want and it shouldn't cost much. Never priced MAZ plates, but then paying for something I can have for free, never was ma thang ;)

montravia

It's a tough one - I've had both the 4.2 and 4.7 and on the road I don't think there's that much noticeable difference between the 2 that I would pay £10-15K more. Although I preferred the mc shift, the auto still has its advantages so it's not a black and white thing either.

I'm not really looking for any more performance, and the Auto Box is preferable to me. You're all steering me toward the most sensible thing.

montravia

I bought a plate for mine S555 SVK for my initials, but never put it on, I actually prefer the NI plate thats on it now, KXZ 4221

Before that it was CBX 400 while on forecourt (again in NI) and in the South it was 06-WD-3, nice plate but not transferable in Ireland, stays with car.

I've meandered through the NI plates, not sure. Those that I've seen on the road seem to shout a bit. I'll take another look.

Yours look very good though, like the SSSSSSSSSS