Front Bumper Overhaul

namaste

Thanks all. Yeah well pleased with that.

Excellent result - you've obviously sprayed before. What equipment are you using?
Moz

Nothing special. A cheapish Sealey gun with 1.4mm nozzle and an old second hand 100 ltr compressor.

namaste

I'm suppose to be putting things back together but I seem to be working backwards.

Took the arch linings out and gave them a good scrub. Never ending stream of brown water coming off them so gave up after half hour. They're good enough.

The boxes behind the arch linings were a little corroded so gave them a going over. From what I can tell their only purpose is to give the arch linings sonething to secure too via that one hole in the middle, but they're held on by nine bolts! The little grill inserts are easily popped out with the linings out so I'll give them a good clean up along with the holes they sit in. I re-tapped some threads for the arch lining bolts ready for the new bolts and washers. They'll go on with a smear of copper grease so they shouldn't corrode up again.

Tomorrow I'll start moving forward.

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

namaste

Closing off this thread with some final pics of my car. Got the bumper back on a while back but have just got round to fixing the stone chips on the bonnet and an all over cut and polish. Wanted to get some quick pics done before it gets mucky again.

pic1b.jpg

pic3b.jpg

pic2b.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Was that aerosol or were you spraying the 2k from a gun?

What are the implications health wise???

namaste

Was that aerosol or were you spraying the 2k from a gun?

What are the implications health wise???

2k from a gun when spraying. 2k mixed in a little plastic bottle and dabbed on with a brush for the stone chips. You can get 2k in an aerosol now and would be ideal for small repairs but I haven't tried it so can't comment on the finish.

As for health, yes you can die breathing it in. Regs say full positive pressure face mask with fresh air pump and full body covering. If I was spraying this stuff 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I'd sure want my employer to supply that stuff. But then I've seen plenty of pros on youtube wearing shorts, t shirt and half a face mask spraying this stuff all day everyday. So as a couple of times a year sprayer, I use the 2 pack rated half face masks by Gerson (you can get them on ebay for £20). They are rated for x amount of hours use then you dispose of them. I'm on my second one now.