Awesome - full touchscreen Apply CarPlay within existing Granturismo head unit

azapa

Jeepers that's a really nice Job. I would love just an Android touch screen integration on mine. Wondering how this can be done for overseas customers?

Think they do android also.... was looking for a system for the Disco 4 with its shite satnav....

Am sure that they will provide fitting instructions. I have a guy who does all my electrical work on cars. I am sure he can do it

Devonboy

If you find someone to do it, I will also be enquiring if they could do the same for my 2010 QP 5!

CatmanV2

But I live in the UK......how do we get a UK agent to do this?

This must be pretty OTS tech. There's an interface to change what the display shows, and the overlay. I imagine there's some kind of Raspberry Pi running the android OS (or maybe a tablet), and a connection to the system for the phone 'trigger' so the install will be:
Disconnect display
Remove bezel
Fix overlay
connect 'android computer'

The tricky bit would be the OS, but someone may already know it.

C

Wanderer

Looks the install turns the Phone button on the steering wheel into a switch from NIT to the new CarPlay device hidden somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contigo

Sponsor
Looks good! I'm actually not too bothered as I only listen to USB in mine, might go for one in a newer model GT though.

outrun

Maximum want.

I'll have one if we pull together a group buy chaps.

Been waiting for a slick system that looks factory. I hate non OEM installs.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
It looks blinding. I'd definitely be up for one if I still had the GTS. I'm with Athol, non-OEM installs generally look shite. This, on the other hand, looks really slick. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Wanderer

It looks blinding. I'd definitely be up for one if I still had the GTS. I'm with Athol, non-OEM installs generally look shite. This, on the other hand, looks really slick. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh.

Agree, need to see it in action though, I installed a proper looking non-OEM in my old Cadillac CTS (sorry) and it was sluggish, touch screen needed well prodding and I lost all the Cadillac driver stuff to setup the dashboard etc

outrun

Agree, need to see it in action though, I installed a proper looking non-OEM in my old Cadillac CTS (sorry) and it was sluggish, touch screen needed well prodding and I lost all the Cadillac driver stuff to setup the dashboard etc

If you watch the video, it leaves the stock stuff untouched and uses a clear screen on top of it to display the car play functionality. I agree with others that there must be a control unit of sorts, probably a Pi, that needs to be hidden away as well as some kind of harness that taps into the steering wheel controls and allows the sound to run through the standard set up too. Should be as easy to remove as it is to install which appeals in case someone wants to return to stock.