Awesome - full touchscreen Apply CarPlay within existing Granturismo head unit

Navcorr

The Carplay on this system will just be an app. Just as Waze is on mobiles, etc. These could easily be installed on the OS the vendor is using - if they setup to allow it.

Alternatively, now that Chris has an install manual, why not just build your own systems. There's nothing particularly technical about this and the hardware being used will be relative peanuts.

Navcorr

Lollipop I thought. Reasonably configurable no?. For £600+, duty, etc maybe worth a bash :)

MMGTS

Would you mind letting me know how this goes once you've had your first guinea pig run. Very interested in the upgrade if it works - have a 2010 GTS. Thanks

Devonboy

Ok - its arrived - just under £800 delivered from 0z for car play and reversing camera kit.

Its being installed in two weeks time.....video to follow....

Quite excited!

sionie1

I’ve been sent this link today from AudioFile, another option with an Alpine screen.

conaero

Forum Owner
Nothing like as tidy though.

Agreed, it would be better if they could get that system in the original hole. Ok, they would have to go down a tables size and probably need a 3D printed surround made but it does look brilliant.

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, looks way too aftermarket for my tastes, plus unless I missed it you lose all the car-specific stuff which the other system retains.

zagatoes30

Looks like the units they stick in Mercs these days, a tablet stuck to the dash rather than making it fit properly.

Masser50

I heard indirectly from an Australian company that installing the system in QP was a nightmare and they abandoned the idea after Naviplus could not or would not help, can’t say I know what’s the case but worth being cautious.

Devonboy

If you watch the video, it leaves the stock stuff untouched and uses a clear screen on top of it to display the car play functionality. I agree with others that there must be a control unit of sorts, probably a Pi, that needs to be hidden away as well as some kind of harness that taps into the steering wheel controls and allows the sound to run through the standard set up too. Should be as easy to remove as it is to install which appeals in case someone wants to return to stock.

Ok - one more sleep to go till it’s installed in my QP V. Kit contains 2 boxes - one looks to house all the apple IOS stuff and another box to connect into the Maser - in addition there is a big box of wire - the harness and the touch screen - it’s neing fitted at 10 am tomorrow - and as not the big attraction for me is that it doesn’t affect the systems - so I will still have my beloved analogue clock!

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to learning what you think of it. It does look like an excellent way of bringing the infotainment up to date without ruining what I think is a pretty timelessly elegant look.

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Ok - one more sleep to go till it’s installed in my QP V. Kit contains 2 boxes - one looks to house all the apple IOS stuff and another box to connect into the Maser - in addition there is a big box of wire - the harness and the touch screen - it’s neing fitted at 10 am tomorrow - and as not the big attraction for me is that it doesn’t affect the systems - so I will still have my beloved analogue clock!
I can’t wait to see if this works. I’m amazed they’re not available everywhere. If the installers have a good time doing it, I reckon they’re going to be busy doing this for the entire GT list on the forum. That’s the big question, installation, as touched on by Masser 50 above.