Not so newbie

Akeme

Hi, been reading the forum for a few years now, finally got myself a 3200 GT last year, contemplating selling it now though as I really want a 105 series Alfa for the summer.

I've got to say I really dislike the negativity surrounding the 3200 GT online, I think one of the reasons it gets bad press is because there is to much expectation of exotic cars to behave like a ford focus, cars like the 3200 enjoy being driven hard but they also need a degree of mechanical empathy which I think seems sorely lacking sometimes. I have a few "modern classics" and they all have their flaws, one of the most charming characteristics older cars have is that they are not perfect, and they need you to develop an understanding with them before you can truly enjoy them fully. Perfection is far to readily eulogized in a digital age, and with it experience tends to be rather more sanitised and diluted than it should be.

The 3200 GT is a fantastic car to drive fast, it's still very quick too, I took mine on a supercar "rally" last year through the Scottish Highlands and it had no problem harassing some serious exotica, its agility is surprising for a car weighing in at 1600kgs. The acceleration still feels brutal, mainly because of its turbocharged nature, much bravery is required in turning the ASR on anything but bone dry conditions.

Anyway I'm mostly German, but always treasure Italian and rely on Japanese :)

philw696

Welcome.
Wow what a Great post too and a nice collection of cars.
You hit the nail on the head.
On of my favourite cars of my own is my 77 Daimler XJC far from perfect but I love its charms and that's a major attraction the same with Maserati :)

Akeme

Thanks! Love the XJC, don't know if you ever saw the TV series "The Avengers" but one of the main characters had an XJC and it was the best looking thing on 4 wheels for me way back when!

My dad had an XJ6 2.9 though, it never lived upto the expectations I had when I first saw an XJC :( Smoothest ride quality ever though!

CT3200GT

Hi Akeme,
I bought my 3200GTA 5 months ago and I fully agree with you. After doing some weekend trips, I think this is a sport classic high performance GT, it is very very rapide despite its age, it can be driven very fast in dry weather and terrify many new sports cars and the acceleration is phenomenal and the power brutal due to the turbos..And it is a very very good looking animal. I didn’t have any issue with the car so far but I think that you can enjoy it 100% if you keep in mind it is an Italian supercar with the technology and reliability of late 90’s early 00 that needs to be maintained properly to keep in good condition.

Akeme

It's a handsome beast and gets a lot of attention when it goes out, it has a full supersprint system fitted and it sounds :boss:
[video]https://youtu.be/YhScxgFT4M4[/video]
:excellent:

philw696

That's how I'm going to roll.
Can't beat a Classic Coupé.
My Father had a 633 CSI back in 77 manual box blew me away but I was riding a Honda SS50 unrestricted at the time.
He had amazing cars throughout his life with exotics being.
Iso Rivolta
Ferrari 330
Jensen Interceptor
Most Jags.
But I remember that 633 for what was a small engine and only a single overhead cam with 2 valves per cylinder went so fast.
Ended up driving BMW for a few years as a result.

TimR

Beautifully understated...! :beauty:
Such a shame Maserati ever ditched the boomerang rear lights...
I have a fantasy of chopping the rear panels and decklid of my 4200 to retro fit a pair ! Maybe do a GS....! ( sorry to all you Maser purests out there !! :0037:)

Vampyrebat

Speak to BennyD he has done just this with his 42. The job was fantastic but he said it was a massive ball ache doing it as the top curve of the 32 rear light is different to the 42 rear light top curve, and some other annoying bits of re-jigging had to be done..............Personally, I prefer my Honda Prelude back end!

TimR

I asked at McGrath Maserati if they had been asked to do the mod yet. They admitted to having had some strange requests ( havent we all!!?) but never having done one. I learned then that whilst the cars look similar, there is much that is subtly different between the body shells...!
For me, I appreciate that they are the result of aesthetic design...No big deal maybe. But casting my eyes across the many cars that sat bristling with beading drizzle in early daylight at McGraths, it eventually dawned on me what all the fuss was about...:excellent: