TPMS and MOT

Wanderer

Took car to this local chap so-called expert on TPMS and he's telling me to ‘take it to Maserati' ‘it's gonna cost thousands' and this last bit ‘it's mot failure it's not working'. So I tell him that's only 2012 cars on, he says no, it's a warning light, fail.

He can't be right can he? Otherwise we are nearly all fooked!!!

safrane

As of the 1st Jan 2015, a car displaying a TPMS fault when submitted for an MOT will resukt in a test failure.

Sorry

D Walker

As of the 1st Jan 2015, a car displaying a TPMS fault when submitted for an MOT will resukt in a test failure.

Sorry

Do t know what anyone else thinks it I believe the new test is a conspiracy in order to turn cars over in a depressed market. If I remember correctly, an mot is a road worthiness test to ensure your car is safe to drive. How can an aid to tell you t
Your tyre pressures be a fail. I personally have never checked my tyre pressures before presenting a car for mot. Do they even ch check it?

Wanderer

Sorry

A car registered after 2012.

Mines 2006, and has passed its MOT tests, only two cos it's an Irish import.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJX

About 4 or 5yrs ago i got graypaul to switch off my tpms. They had to apply to italy for the file but no more readings or warning lights. The system fitted was pretty pants anyway, a bit like sky tv never missed it, ok so i hardly drive car that often, but no hardship to check manually and be sure.

MC_Bob

About 4 or 5yrs ago i got graypaul to switch off my tpms. They had to apply to italy for the file but no more readings or warning lights. The system fitted was pretty pants anyway, a bit like sky tv never missed it, ok so i hardly drive car that often, but no hardship to check manually and be sure.

Could you pass on any more information how you got this managed and on what car it was ?
Thanks!

allandwf

You can't take bulbs out anymore, or paint over them as I have seen previously. They are meant to illuminate with ignition o, then clear,. All part of the test now. I agree its ott.

MC_Bob

You can't take bulbs out anymore, or paint over them as I have seen previously. They are meant to illuminate with ignition o, then clear,. All part of the test now. I agree its ott.

If only, it comes across the screen in writing too! haha.

Corranga

Surely a TPMS bulb removal would be OK, or is it the same warning light for other stuff too?

The MOT tester wouldn't have any idea that the car was supposed to have one..

Wanderer

Surely a TPMS bulb removal would be OK, or is it the same warning light for other stuff too?

On the QP it says ‘TPMS failure' and after it bleeps at you a little tyre icon with an exclamation mark appears bottom right.

Suppose you could fashion a blanking plate to cover the whole top half of the display leaving the mileage for the MOT tester.

The more I think about this the more it can't be, seeing as pre 2012 cars are not required to have TPMS and even a low petrol light is a warning light, so can't be failed for that.

Indeed what about the door open warning light whilst the test is in progress?

Does anyone know for sure whether or not new sensors need pairing with the ecu? Presumably by SD3 or would it be a TPMS device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

alfatwo

They certainly do, they just sit in the car and start the engine and watch if all the dash lights come on then go out, if they don't its a failure!

Dave

D Walker

I’ve just watched a “which” video on FB, 4 major changes to mot, if “any” smoke comes out of your diesel car exhaust, fail, if your “dpf” has been tampered with = fail, faults will be categorised, Dangerous, Major and Minor, dangerous and major = fail,
These,are also open to impertration by the tester, leaking steering fluid for eg is only a major when it is a constant drip,

SJX

It's a 2008 granturismo. The wheel sensors were playing up frequently and it was on their advise i considered having system turned off completely, but as stated they had to apply to italy for appropriate permission and data file so they could switch it off by plugging it in.

Wanderer

Just been round to my MOT tester I use, he's adamant that it's not a problem, as it's only testable on post 2012 cars, the 'any warning light means fail' theory is rubbish he agreed, or low petrol, door open, handbrake on light would mean a fail.

Panic over, but I still want the bloody thing fixed, bugs me like ****....

Swedish Paul

I’ve just watched a “which” video on FB, 4 major changes to mot, if “any” smoke comes out of your diesel car exhaust, fail, if your “dpf” has been tampered with = fail, faults will be categorised, Dangerous, Major and Minor, dangerous and major = fail,
These,are also open to impertration by the tester, leaking steering fluid for eg is only a major when it is a constant drip,

Open to interpretation wrapped around a wad of fivers....

Raffles

I had to wait for the factory part but with a few tools, and nimble fingers it I was able to replace mine. The normal working one day, not the next issue. Ordered anew TPMS module for @£180, ten minutes all fitted and working. Fingers crossed Bosch have corrected the problems with the module over the past 10 years.

Raffles

Was it a new unit you bought, or newer date stamp on there?

It was the very part number from Bosch but with a 2018 date stamp. To be honest I didn't open the casing on the new one to look inside, so could not comment on visual differences to the circuit board. A quick and dealer free solution all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk