Groaning Brakes

GeoffCapes

Am I right in thinking that if my brakes groan after heavy use, even when there is plenty of pad life left on them, it's time to replace them as they are probably glazed?

Seem to recall I had the same issue on my Merc last year which was remedied when I changed the pads. But I appear to have the memory of a goldfish at the moment.

conaero

Forum Owner
If they are not vibrating then yes, you've glazed the pads. They should come back, I always found if you reverse and speed and slam on the brakes and repeat a couple of times it de glazes the pads and spits all the dust out.

Worth a go!

Ryandoc

If they are not vibrating then yes, you've glazed the pads. They should come back, I always found if you reverse and speed and slam on the brakes and repeat a couple of times it de glazes the pads and spits all the dust out.

Worth a go!

Watches the low loader thread with anticipation :saifi:

GeoffCapes

Worth a go!

No vibrations at all. I've just bought some EBC Yellows so I'll get them fitted asap.

outrun

Worth a go!

Reverse and speed = new clutch.

I'd rather be buying pads than a clutch!

azapa

make sure that groaning and grumbling is not coming from the rear ebrakes. random GT weakness. drive slow with windows open and you should be able to get where its coming from

GeoffCapes

make sure that groaning and grumbling is not coming from the rear ebrakes. random GT weakness. drive slow with windows open and you should be able to get where its coming from

Definitely the front. EBC Yellows will be delivered tomorrow and will get them fitted. Should fix the problem.

philw696

If there is enough thickness a very light skim.
We use the on car lathe down here and works well.

CatmanV2

Don't forget to change the discs at the same time Mark, as the pads will never bed in!

Dave

Huh? I have never changed discs just cos I've changed pads. Changed them when they needed it. Sure change pads if you change discs.

C