Replacement for my GS

m1980k

After waiting all year for the right car to come along, I picked up a 2012 Lotus Evora S on Monday. If I was going to swap the GS for something, I wanted it to be a very different car, but still ideally one I could occasionally get the kids in the back of. And it had to be good on twisty, bumpy B roads. So a Lotus was the only choice. (Let's just pretend Porsches don't exist. And 997.1s are much older, while a 997.2 would have been more expensive and still older).

I can summarize the differences between them just by stating the facts. The GS is a 1680kg naturally aspirated Ferrari V8 engined Maserati with a CC 'box and Skyhook damping. The Evora is a 1437kg Lotus with a supercharged Toyota V6 and a manual 'box. One wins on looks (inside and out) and noise, the other is on a different planet when it comes to attacking a British B road. I do think the Evora looks much better in the metal than in photos, though, because it's low and wedge-like, and the engine noise at high revs is pretty good - an aggresive growl.

The cars are so different that I could happily own both (haven't actually sold the GS yet....). The GS wins when it's parked up, or approaching the redline (or lower down the rev range, too), and is epic on smooth, flowing roads. But the Evora is something you just have to experience on a challenging road. The ability to soak up bumps but turn in with precision and grip like a limpet is incredible. The GS could be exciting because it commanded respect, but also because it could sometimes be a bit wayward. The Evora is like a B road hypercar, or a supercar with a little bit of hot hatch DNA. It's actually a decent cruiser too, thanks to the supple suspension (probably the GS's biggest weakness). But the stereo is utterly horrendous and the manual box... well, you get the gear you want nearly every time you try... actually demonstrates that the CC box can hold it's own against a bad manual.

Overall, for my purposes, the Evora is a better fit. But I'm lucky to have owned two truly great cars.

I've also discovered that my Evora was run by Car on a long term test, so I have pictures of it going sideways at Hethel, at the factory, even the configurator screenshot.

ev2.jpg

ev1.jpg

ev3.jpg

track.jpg

factory.jpg

config.jpg

interior.jpg

jamesc69

Nice write up. I have been tempted by the Evora S a couple of times, but the 2nd hand values refuse to fall, amazing residuals, especially the S. I agree they look so much better in the flesh. Enjoy !

philw696

A very nice write up.
Certainly enjoyed the ones I worked on and drove when I worked for the Dealership.

safrane

Nice looking motor.

So one item not mentioned is the ability to carry a two weeks worth of luggage and the wifes bits... (for me it would be T shirts and pants) she would need at least 28 outfits and six shoes.!

GeoffCapes

I tried one of those to see if I would actually fit. And surprisingly I do.

Would like to take one out as they look good, and the interior is very nice as you say.
Oh, and they are a bit rapid!

m1980k

Nice looking motor.

So one item not mentioned is the ability to carry a two weeks worth of luggage and the wifes bits... (for me it would be T shirts and pants) she would need at least 28 outfits and six shoes.!

When I travel for work, I chuck some bits in a suitcase and arrive at the airport an hour before take off. With the family... packing is a multi-day project and involves extensive use of the luggage scales to stay within baggage allowances. The Evora has this wide, not massively deep boot behind the engine... I could get enough t-shirts, pants and socks to last a good few months in there, or enough guff for a day trip with the family.

Corranga

Nice choice. I do think there might be room for an Evora in my life when I move from the 4200, but wonder if it's too much like a big Elise. I always forget how much heavier the Evora is though. I think of the 4200 as a heavy car, but the Evora is 'only' 250kg lighter than it. My Elise closer to a ton lighter than the 4200, than it is to that 250kg difference!

m1980k

Haven't driven an Elise S1, but as I understand it, the Evora is miles more refined, but obviously larger and not as light footed. For me, a great 2 car garage would be an Elise Cup 250 and a QPV GTS 4.7 - I think that would cover plenty of bases.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
Test drove one at launch (2009), can't believe that will be 10 year ago next year!
They have never really dropped below £30K secondhand.
You certainly can't beat the Lotus handling though, having had an Elise S1 111s for 8 years prior to the Maser.
Yes it is a 2+2, but you can't really compare to the Maser 2+2 for room.
I fear my kids have now outgrown the Evora unfortunately, even if I could afford one!

m1980k

Yes it is a 2+2, but you can't really compare to the Maser 2+2 for room.
I fear my kids have now outgrown the Evora unfortunately, even if I could afford one!

Mine are 3 and 5, so figured I had to get one while they'll fit. I also sit with my seat quite far forward. There's a good 4 inches between my seat back and the base behind!

Contigo

Sponsor
Looks like Ferrari took the styling cue from the Evora too.

SP38_0125.jpg

Andyk

After waiting all year for the right car to come along, I picked up a 2012 Lotus Evora S on Monday. If I was going to swap the GS for something, I wanted it to be a very different car, but still ideally one I could occasionally get the kids in the back of. And it had to be good on twisty, bumpy B roads. So a Lotus was the only choice. (Let's just pretend Porsches don't exist. And 997.1s are much older, while a 997.2 would have been more expensive and still older).

I can summarize the differences between them just by stating the facts. The GS is a 1680kg naturally aspirated Ferrari V8 engined Maserati with a CC 'box and Skyhook damping. The Evora is a 1437kg Lotus with a supercharged Toyota V6 and a manual 'box. One wins on looks (inside and out) and noise, the other is on a different planet when it comes to attacking a British B road. I do think the Evora looks much better in the metal than in photos, though, because it's low and wedge-like, and the engine noise at high revs is pretty good - an aggresive growl.

The cars are so different that I could happily own both (haven't actually sold the GS yet....). The GS wins when it's parked up, or approaching the redline (or lower down the rev range, too), and is epic on smooth, flowing roads. But the Evora is something you just have to experience on a challenging road. The ability to soak up bumps but turn in with precision and grip like a limpet is incredible. The GS could be exciting because it commanded respect, but also because it could sometimes be a bit wayward. The Evora is like a B road hypercar, or a supercar with a little bit of hot hatch DNA. It's actually a decent cruiser too, thanks to the supple suspension (probably the GS's biggest weakness). But the stereo is utterly horrendous and the manual box... well, you get the gear you want nearly every time you try... actually demonstrates that the CC box can hold it's own against a bad manual.

Overall, for my purposes, the Evora is a better fit. But I'm lucky to have owned two truly great cars.

I've also discovered that my Evora was run by Car on a long term test, so I have pictures of it going sideways at Hethel, at the factory, even the configurator screenshot.

View attachment 48935

View attachment 48937

View attachment 48936

View attachment 48938

View attachment 48939

View attachment 48940

View attachment 48941

Lovely car.....and with the better later seats. A great drivers car. Enjoy.

Have had my Chrome Orange Evora 400 for 2.5 years now from new. Chalk and cheese compared to the Strad. The exhaust on the 400 is simply mental, especially over 5k revs. The only way I describe it is a combination of a V10 F1 car and a Vulcan bomber. It simply puts the Strad to shame in all departments from a driving and experience perspective. I am 6’3” and like my S1 Elise, fits like a glove for my size.

If you have not ragged one, don’t as they are completely addictive. Even my 22b does not give back like that Evora does!!

Stu

midlifecrisis

I do like the look and feel of a Lotus Evora, even tried to sit in the back...feels very Le Mans racer...might pop along to Bell and Colville at the weekend...

Contigo

Sponsor
Have had my Chrome Orange Evora 400 for 2.5 years now from new. Chalk and cheese compared to the Strad. The exhaust on the 400 is simply mental, especially over 5k revs. The only way I describe it is a combination of a V10 F1 car and a Vulcan bomber. It simply puts the Strad to shame in all departments from a driving and experience perspective. I am 6’3” and like my S1 Elise, fits like a glove for my size.

If you have not ragged one, don’t as they are completely addictive. Even my 22b does not give back like that Evora does!!

Stu

That's interesting and the first time I've ever heard a Toyota V6 bigged up over an Italian Cross plane crank V8 (loudest production car made).

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
That's interesting and the first time I've ever heard a Toyota V6 bigged up over an Italian Cross plane crank V8 (loudest production car made).

Yes interesting.
On paper at least the Evora is not that hot on straight line performance, in fact, my little M140i would spank the original n/a Evora badly, and is a near match for the Evora S, in a straight line of course!

Andyk

Stu

Sort of get what you mean....The Stradale sounds epic but the 400 does as well but a very different sound.