3200/4200 Brake Discs a possible solution...

Maserati V8

Thanks - comes with the territory of working for a Uni! research, research and more research.

As stated, I'm 99.9% sure as all evidence points in our favour, but there is nothing like physically proving and double checking so not giving the green light yet. I'll keep moving forward and get some ordered and will conduct precise CMM inspection and if it's positive they will be fitted! A few weeks (unless anyone else is in a position to move to a result quicker) I should be 100% happy to confirm!

lozcb

Might take a trip down to my Buddy Enzo's place with the 4200 and a bootfull of tools over the xmas holls , if the weather is good im sure he'll let me borrow the fronts off the 550 for an afternoon to test them out

regards loz

conaero

Forum Owner
Loz have you still got your old discs. I have a pair of used that I could give you at Ace if you want?

Just let me know and I'll sling them in the boot.

lozcb

Loz have you still got your old discs. I have a pair of used that I could give you at Ace if you want?

Just let me know and I'll sling them in the boot.

Yeah still got them all boxed up , will inspect them physically, like for like but i would also like to try them as a straight bolt on , and check them out

regards loz

ENZ525

Might take a trip down to my Buddy Enzo's place with the 4200 and a bootfull of tools over the xmas holls , if the weather is good im sure he'll let me borrow the fronts off the 550 for an afternoon to test them out

regards loz

No problem Loz,
Regards,
Enzo.

Maserati V8

Being 99% sure the 550 Maranello front brake disks would fit as direct replacements to my Maserati Coupé, I just needed to check the off-set (inside of disk bell housing to inboard disk face) as it was the only measurement I still had in question.

Well I can confirm I have a match. Since the weather was kinder this afternoon I removed one of my front 4200 disks and using a digital vernier caliper checked, checked and double checked again, and the off-set is the same as my old 4200 disk (albeit for a few microns which is to be expected in manufacturing tolerances and accuracy of digital caliper). I have now fitted the Brembo 550 disk and installed new Mintex pads (ran out of time to do both sides so the other will follow tomorrow). A few photos will follow at some point of the shiny new disk in situ. Disk fit was not an issue, the only part of the job that was a bit of a pain was removing the old brake pads which had obviously been installed via the use of a hammer by some neanderthal!

For comparison only, disks dimensions I noted were:

Mas 4200, Ferrari 550, Diff
Centre mount hole 66.95, 66.95, 0
Disk thickness 31.95, 31.97, 0.02
Wheel bolt holes 14.53, 14.53, 0
Disk mount bolt holes 8.75, 8.73, 0.02
Bell mounting flange thickness 7.10, 7.07, 0.03
off-set 53.69, 53.70, 0.01

Visual difference is that my old 4200 disk has some grey paint around the bell housing, whereas the 550 disk does not – for me no real issue.

I'm happy to fit these disks to my Maserati, they are made by Brembo for Ferrari for the 550 as OEM equipment, a car that has superior power and speed to a 4200 coup̩ and which is slightly heavier than a 4200 Рso here's my disclaimer, I'm not recommending them, but for my own personal use I now have 100% peace of mind.

I do have an extra spare set of brand new boxed Brembo 550 Maranello front disks going cheap if anyone wants them? 160.00 for the pair if anyone is interested, please contact me (collection only though- Northampton).

I have taken delivery of a pair of rear Brembo 550 Maranello disks and believe these might be the same as 4200 rears, but will get time again in a few weeks to check before I'm confident to fit them to my car.

Cheers
James

NOTE - Discs now provisionally sold, thanks for all the enquiries.

Last edited:

ENZ525

That's fantastic news James...very well done!

I would take you up on that offer of the front disks, but my 550 ones have only done about 1000 miles, so not for me this time,

Regards,

Enzo.

Parisien

Excellent news James.....................happy days for all concerned, well done!!!

P

bigbob

Ths is all very encouraging but I do not understand that you can buy a Ferrari disk for less than a Maserai one. What is the sense in that?

Last edited:

Maserati V8

Firstly they are not Ferrari or Maserati manufactured disks, they are made by brembo who supply them to Ferrari and Maserati as OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Secondly, the price difference between Ferrari and Maserati for the same thing is that I suspect that as part of brembo's contract to supply Maserati they are not allowed to supply to any third party, hence why prices can be kept high as you would have to purchase through main dealers as genuine Maserati after market parts. Ferrari may not have an agreement hence why you can purchase genuine brembo Ferrari disks from third parties. The approach Maserati takes is quite common as it protects the brand value and holds parts prices up stopping market from being swamped by third party sellers or even worse cheap copies being produced by brands other than OEM approved suppliers getting in the supply chain...

Last edited:

philw696

Tell me about it the most used service item we need an oil filter made by Purflux and only available from dealers for the 4200.
Phil.

safrane

Dont know if I will need the disc/pads this year but will go this way when time to buy

v8pbn

Goods news. Thought you'd be interested in these guys who list both front and rear discs for the 3200/4200/GS (fronts POA) as well as 550. Good prices and great technical support. www.brakesint.co.uk/

deano

hi maserati v8.glad to hear the 550 discs fit,im led to blieve the discs for a 4200 are the same as a 3200,do you know if this is so,if it is have you still got the spare set of discs for sale,as im also in northampton.

Parisien

hi maserati v8.glad to hear the 550 discs fit,im led to blieve the discs for a 4200 are the same as a 3200,do you know if this is so,if it is have you still got the spare set of discs for sale,as im also in northampton.

Yes Deano, that is true same discs/pads for the 3200 and 4200!

P