How do you like your nuts?

MAF260

So it would appear that pretty Italian cars share similar issues, this one being horrible rusty wheel nuts.

My Alfa GT at only 2 years old has been suffering with the affliction. With me being a fussy so-and-so it was something I had to address.

I could have gone down a couple of routes: painting them silver/hammerite or having them rechromed. With both of these choices there is a good chance the finish would be ruined or weakened as soon as the fresh nuts were tightened back up. When I had my 3200 I found something else (on fleabay) which I never got round to trying out.

So, at great expense (£9.99 including postage), I have sorted this problem on my car. I bought 16 chromed wheel nut covers (they also come in black) for the 17mm wheel nuts. Included is a little tool to remove them - when I fitted them I gave them all a smear of copper grease inside to aid removal, but they're a push fit so should come off easily. The locking nuts are larger in diameter, so I can't use anything to cover them, but I'm not bothered about them looking different.

Have a look and let me know what you think. I'm delighted with the results.
Before:
DSCF0911.jpg
After:
DSCF0917.jpg

Last edited:

Easyplan66

they look good maf, I had mine chromed at £60 were not cheap and will last about a year I'm recon before they start to flake.

Elliott653

I was talking about this very issue this morning at the Pistonheads meet. For a tenner, it's well worth a punt. Thanks.

Andyk

What a cheap fix MAF and they look great.....Oh love the wheels by the way. One of Alfas best..

MAF260

Do they do 22mm ones?

Worth mailing them Peter. If not, there are certainly others on fleabay who probably do. The head of the covers is a few mm wider than the bolt width, so check that there is sufficient space in the wheel holes to allow for this and the removal tool.

Thanks for the comments on the wheels. I love them, they were one of the reasons I chose the Blackline over anything else. Mine have some kerbing unfortunately due to the previous owner (honest!). Will have them refurbed soon, but my wife is about to use the car for a few days so I will wait until she's finished with it. Her history with big alloys and low profile tyres is not the best.

MAF260

I had a quick look at the ebay ad earlier. The seller is away until the end of February. I'd imagine the product is very similar with other suppliers who are advertising, so maybe check with them. Group buy perhaps?

Are 3200, 4200 & Gransport nuts all 22mm? If somebody can confirm this then I'll look into a group buy to see if I can get the price down a little. It would need a commitment from a minimum number of perhaps at least 10, so please add your name to the list if you're interested.

blue520

Add me to the list. Be a welcome present when i finally get my hands on my Spyder.

1. Pibbow
2. Elliot
3. Safrane
4. Blue520

Last edited: