Handbrake Adjustment

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Very useful post, is there no cable adjustment to take up initial slack, must admit I have not looked

I think there is a limited amount of adjustment where the cable from the handbrake lever meets the cable between the two back wheels. The two cables meet at the gearbox and i think there is an adjuster there.

rs48635

Rob, which way to slacken off the shoes depends on how the mechanism has been rebuilt. The gear like wheel threads move the adjuster in or out depending on which way you move it. Move it and see what happens; if it gets tight move it the other way to slacken it off. If it gets slack, you got first time lucky! I hope this helps, I was doing it myself yesterday.

Done mine on sloping driveway just now in 40 minutes. Both sides adjust the same, top away to slacken off. SO to adjust them tight enough to work, I backed them right out (bottom away) to the stopping point, than back 2-3 twiddles.

Bit nervous with car resting against big bricks, handbrake off, gear selector in neutral! Little test drive to come once daughter's car is moved.

mas

I have just taken the rear discs off as the handbrake was pretty poor. However the inside of the discs (where the brake shoes contacts) are scored with grooves about 1 to 2mm deep, the disc also has a lot of loose rust too. Should this be a concern and would need new disc rotors? The discs also have a few minor ridges too.
So maybe I am up for new disc rotors, brake pads and brake shoes?

2b1ask1

Special case
Hi, you can get them skimmed but to be honest as Safrane says new 550 disks are not eye watering, new pads and possibly get your handbrake shoes re-lined as these are then much better than OEM. There are threads about Belfast brakes, they have had some issues this year but there is a phoenix company that can so them at a very good price.

Abe66s

Gary's details are
GB Bonding (Reline Brake Shoes)
73 Ballycrochan Road
Bangor
BT19 6NF
TURNAROUND IS JUST A FEW DAYS. - price £35 including return postage
Tel 07545 382229

hodroyd

Mas,
Hunt around for Brembo F550 discs for the best price, quite a few on here got ours from AP Brakes in Dewsbury, West Yorks, we did a group deal. Mention the forum and see what price they offer. I tried them recently for another vehicle and they were terrible at communication, but I heard they were in the middle of a move, so that may have been the problem. Before you install the new discs, get some heat resistant silver paint and do the disc hub, these tend to rust without it. Get good quality pads, the best you can afford, you can get Brembo from the same source. Pagid are very expensive but are great and they last.
Cheers
R

Phil the Brit

Many thanks Conaero and Jagpurr for the helpful pics on removal of handbrake shoes. Very useful. What a sod it is trying to adjust the handbrake through that little hole, very frustrating lining it up and feeling the adjuster move.

nfm

My handbrake had gone really slack so took things to bits today to find drivers side pads gone to dust. No lining left at all! Dropped the pads off with Gary ( see page 3) and he did a fantastic job turning them around in a day. Local main dealer wanted four times as much.

Well done Gary - service highly recommended.

Parisien

Nice to hear Nigel....common occurrence handbrake shoe evaporation........almost daily.......!!

P

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I had mine re lined last year and it works really well. I'll be changing my rear discs and pads in the next 3 weeks so the brakes and handbrake should be absolutely spot on. All very rewarding when done right.

nfm

Haven't finished yet, will reassemble tomorrow but hoping for major improvement. Just like working on mini brakes 30 years ago.

Parisien

Guys, have to strip my mechanisms down, is there any adjustment on the cable as such, if so where?

P

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
I adjust my handbrake via the knurled adjuster between the bottom of the brake shoes inside the drum. On the rear offside you put a screwdriver in through the inspection hole and move the adjuster from bottom to top to slacken it and top to bottom to tighten. On the nearside it's the exact opposite. In my experience all the slack can be adjusted out via these adjusters.

Parisien

Hi Ian, thanks, was just double checking in case you could adjust it nearer the handbrake end

P

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
No worries mate. I think there is an adjuster somewhere on the cable but if there is, I've never used it. I found the best way to adjust it, is to wind the adjuster up until the drum is locked and then back it off until you can just about hear the shoes rubbing on the drum when you spin it. That bit of friction, for a short time, helps keep the friction surface clean and shiny.

nfm

Frank, the how to guide does show the adjuster on the cable. I didn't adjust mine so can't confirm things.

JonH

Having just gone through all this myself I found it easier to take the discs off to adjust. Its such a faff trying to turn the adjuster through the piddly little hole in the discs when you cant see it. Gives you the chance to clean and grease it all. Interesting that my adjusters worked the other way to this thread and its the same both sides.......guess it depends on whose been there before hand and which way round they were put back together:battered: