Maserati reliability - fact vs fiction

evoke

Having read about horror stories about the reliability and longevity of Italian cars over years, what is the reality of the situation? What are members' experiences of breakdowns and faults and how many issues fall under warranty repairs or have to be paid for out of your own pockets?

I would imagine that modern Italian cars are very reliable but it would be good to know about real experiences.

conaero

Forum Owner
I really dont want to temp fate, but my GS has been great. OK its had a clutch but apart from that nothing major.

The 3200 was a different matter, but I have long believed that it always takes the Italians a couple of attempts to get it right, so always but the lates incarnation and not new models off the production line.

Right, I am off outside to see if I have tempted fate.

lozcb

After a disasterous reputation in the late eighties and nineties Maserati was well on the way to reliability recovery when they brought out the 3200 twin turbo in 1999 and by the end of that model 2002 had virtually cracked reliability issues bar the odd T/Body problems when swapping over production to the 4200 coupe design with a normally aspirated engine , seems since then reliability has continued to strengthen , ive owned two massers in 3 years and still have them both , only one ever breakdown fortunately for me at GoodWood race track whilst at the end of a track day , still in relative newby stage of ownership then the car was transported to Emblem who replaced the F1 pump doing a brilliant job and a few other minor bits and bobs , cars been fine since and that was nearly two years ago , My GS ownership now in its 10th month has been faultless for 7k miles tho i stated earlier will require a clutch shortly

From my time on Maserati forum now 3 years the quattroporte seems even more reliable that the coupes and GS and things are looking even more positive for the Turismo All in all i'd say they are well on the way with current models to matching German and Japanese reliability proof will be in the pudding

regards loz

WGG

Had my GS for almost 3 years and it has never missed a beat.

Best car I have ever owned.

urbanmaser

Had my Maserati Gransport since last summer and I have never had the feeling that it is going to fall apart or let me down. I was that confident that I declined the offer of extended Maserati warranty.

markp4200

I really don't think they are a whole lot worse than other marques.
Perhaps they can be a little flakey in the electronics area; but owners who have them don't moan about it.
Running the cars can be quite expensive but one doesn't buy one expecting 'penny costs'.

I am very cynical of the reputation of German & Japanese cars. If one reads JD pwer surveys, they are completed by marque-loyal folk who actually believ all they are told by the mainstream press. If I listened too closely to the big-selling car mags, I'd have a VW Polo & a Toyota Auris - ouch, then I'd have to slit my wrists!

safrane

Perceptions have far too much play in JD Powers tests.

Lets say somone round Loz's age buys a Kia...they know its cheep, expect it to be naff and when it out-performs their old Metro and starts most times they are as happy as larry...then comes the guy who buys a 50k car, they expect it to be perfect, so any faults no matter how small are a big issue!!!

Sorry Loz I know you don't want a Kia!

urbanmaser

Picture of Loz eyeing up his new supercar..........perfect for a man of his age :0037:......... he is probably wondering where the F1 paddle change is

gwhizzloz.jpg

Parisien

Running the cars can be quite expensive but one doesn't buy one expecting 'penny costs'.

I agree markp4200.......BUT what does irk me...is the "un-covering" of a number of OEM equivalent parts....brake pads, most recently brake discs, mention of a 3200 starter motor similar to a Peugeot/Lancia, the Alfa Romeo F1 pump at less than half price and other priced up to reflect the prestiguous end of the market, but merely re-labelled off the shelf parts sold to all and sundry to make dozens of different marques cars..........:(....:(

P

lozcb

Picture of Loz eyeing up his new supercar..........perfect for a man of his age :0037:......... he is probably wondering where the F1 paddle change is

View attachment 299

Perceptions have far too much play in JD Powers tests.

Lets say somone round Loz's age buys a Kia...they know its cheep, expect it to be naff and when it out-performs their old Metro and starts most times they are as happy as larry...then comes the guy who buys a 50k car, they expect it to be perfect, so any faults no matter how small are a big issue!!!

Sorry Loz I know you don't want a Kia!

View attachment 299[/QUOTE]

Im more concerned that i m still wearing that same Tshirt thank god me skiddies are clean :bart_simpson-226:

regards loz

Last edited:

evoke

^ I agree with that. When i've had 'normal' cars then their flaws were acceptable and I was happy that the car got me from A to B. When i've had more 'premium' cars then even the most negligible niggle caused me stress and had to be fixed and counted negatively towards the perceived reliability of the car.

Parisien

Just to revive this thread......have any of of the newer GTs and QPs anything to report since the last post of march this year?

P

Peter

I have a solution for you guys. Buy a Lamborghini, keep it for a year, sell it, then buy a Maserati, it will seem incredibly cheap to run. Sorted!

Parisien

Peter......you aren't bitter....can tell by your typing...................;)...;).....do share your experience!

P

Peter

Well, I have spent about £4000 on a clutch, 2 services ( 1 every 7500 miles) minor £1000 done by Lamborghini High wycombe, major £1650 done by Emblem (LHW quoted me £4000, after what Emblem told me, I wouldnt get them to change my wiper blades!), 2 sets of tyres 2300 bits and bobs £???? in total including fuel, spent about £13000 in the last year. Hopefully next year I wont need a new clutch, and only 1 service, I am gonna try and drive less, because I certainly cant continue to pay these sorts of figures.

Parisien

Not cheap at all Peter....which model...and have you got a" cheap as chips"...;)..... to run Maser.....?................thought about getting plates relined....or is there an indie servicing sector for Lambos?

P

Peter

Not cheap at all Peter....which model...and have you got a" cheap as chips"...;)..... to run Maser.....?................thought about getting plates relined....or is there an indie servicing sector for Lambos?

P

Dont understand most of that, probably me, not you!

I use Emblem to look after my car. I trust them. It appears that when I took my car to the previous people, and when the previous owner took it to the same place, a lot was not done, i.e. pollen filters have never been changed, same as the gearbox oil, but, if I go on it would probably appear that especially after my ADG problem that I am a moan aholic, which I promise I am not. I just want the service that I pay for.

Parisien

Apols Peter.......am just wondering, rather than putting in a brand new clutch, if the old one can be refurbished/relined to as new standard....for a far lower cost?

Yup...your going to one of the best Indies for servicing.

And you are not alone in part services being carried out and full prices being asked for!

Have you a Maserati?

P

Peter

Its not actually the cost of the clutch, it's the labour involved, or apparently involved. Lamborghini quote 18 hours, where I know of a guy without the ramp, just jacks, who did this in his garage, and standard tools who did it in 15 hours. Remember also that this was the first time he had attempted to do such a thing. He recons if he were to do another, and had a ramp, he could probably do it in about 8 or 9 hours.

I did have a Maserati, but sold it after just 6 months for a HUGE loss.