Random error codes and poor connections.

Simon

When I first got the QP I would get random error codes on start up if the car had been left for a week or so and not run. Once I started to use a trickle charger and keep the battery charged up the problems went away. About 2 years ago roughly at this time of year I got one error message where the gear selected just displayed as a dash and all the warning lights flashed and "system electrical fault" and "go to dealer" appeared in the central LCD. No gears could be selected so you were stuck. At that time the car was returned to JCT600 and they said the problem was a faulty instrument binnacle and was changed under warranty. At the time I wondered how the speedometer could cause such a fault.

Today while at my parents house it did the same thing (not charged the battery for a fortnight), exactly the same. The car would start but whatever error code had been generated was locking the transmission out possibly as protection. The car had been running perfectly (oxymoron I know) so I doubted a true fault. After switching off, locking car etc and trying to restart the error message still came up. So only one thing for it, to disconnect the battery to clear any codes.

Opened the boot, got access to the battery. All the wires connected to the top of the battery were solid as a rock and stuff was flexing rather than undoing. After checking it seemed the main cable ran down and connected to a little bracket attached to the bodywork of the car just behind the rear light cluster. Put a socket driver on it and it moved, a bit too easily. I removed it with my fingers!

After disconnecting the battery we checked the bolt that secured this cable, there was paint/residue on the surface where it makes contact with the cable. My dad cleaned it up (got rid of paint/****) and I bolted it all back together. Using the socket/ratchet to tighten up it went tight. Looking at the top of the bolt the factory yellow paint lines didn't match up, I'd actually gone past them with no effort at all. Tightened it up a little more for good measure. Jumped in and car started, just needed my code for the Nav.

My first thoughts are that this bad connection is the cause of all these error codes that I would get at start up if the battery wasn't topped up. It looks like it left the factory not tightened fully togther with contamination where the connection is made. I'll see what happens but I'm not going to put her on the trickle charger yet, I want to see if I still get the error codes with a partially charged battery.

Also glad to see that doing this resets the system, in all only took 10 mins and it was my first time. I've assembled a little kit, 13mm socket, small ratchet and torch so if it had a funny turn in a very inconvenient place I'd be back moving with 2-3 mins.

Quite a few sparks flew as it was difficult to hold all this together while placing the bolt back in, things were pretty warm there. Maybe I should add a fire extinguisher to my list incase I set fire to the trim which is very close to this bolt.

Navtrak also called within 1 min due to the battery connection being taken off. Pretty effiencient service.

Anybody know if you can buy a code reader which can clear error codes ? (cheap one not SD3 etc).

Simon

ps not posted in Tech secion as I guess this problem could be common to any Maserati.

duncscot

Theres been alot of posts recently about battery problems. However, it sounds like your problem was due to the loose connection you found.... that would certainly give you "arcing" across the terminals, and the masser brain would definately see that as an error. I tightened all the + & - connections on my QP, and also dabbed on a little cooperease to stop any corrosion. Theres a few code readers on ebay..... but Im sure someone will be along soon to tell you if any of them are actually any good for our cars, but gold star to you for sorting out the battery problem.

Parisien

A bad earth...................in a 70K car.......one of the most simple, primitive and well know defects a car can suffer from......breathtaking guys.....am sorry......

This was effectively as it left the production line...quality controlled .......PPI thingie at franchise garage......hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

P

lozcb

Kudos to you Simon , a simple fault cost maserati an arm and a leg first time round whilst under warranty , beggars belief what some people get charged when out of warranty and just want their car fixed persee

regards loz

conaero

Forum Owner
Theres been alot of posts recently about battery problems. However, it sounds like your problem was due to the loose connection you found.... that would certainly give you "arcing" across the terminals, and the masser brain would definately see that as an error. I tightened all the + & - connections on my QP, and also dabbed on a little cooperease to stop any corrosion. Theres a few code readers on ebay..... but Im sure someone will be along soon to tell you if any of them are actually any good for our cars, but gold star to you for sorting out the battery problem.

Hi mate...and one time top poster I seem to remember back in the summer, where have you been hiding (oh, sorry to hijack the thread, top marks for finding the fault!)

Simon

Kudos to you Simon , a simple fault cost maserati an arm and a leg first time round whilst under warranty , beggars belief what some people get charged when out of warranty and just want their car fixed persee

regards loz

I think if the dealers can't find a fault they just swap something hoping it works and also earning themselves some money, I guess thats why our warranties cost so much!

I'm not going to charge her for a week or more so that the battery level gets a bit on the low side thus stress testing the circuitry. I'll start her every other day to see if the original problem has gone away. Fingers crossed!

Tipmethewink

I thought I'd add to this. Firstly, thanks to Simon for his post. It meant that I was able to resuscitate my Granturismo. It wasn't displaying the same error, it just had a green dash '-' showing where the gear indicator usually is, but disconnecting the power allowed me to get going again. I don't know whether the QP is the same (sounds similar with the battery in the boot) but instead of a spanner, just removing and replacing the furthest 50 amp fuse in the fuse box has the same effect. The dealer's told me it's a software issue with the ECU not being able to "find the gearbox" and that there's an update that fixes it, just waiting for them to let me know when they're going to do it now.

roger102

well QWENS tried to say it was the NIT unit and that was6k +, and they weren't going to do anymore with changing that, when I had the issue over the summer, loose connections/corrosion on the C can loom in the end after I told them to check the looms via my man @ autorevive- plug.

hodroyd

Typical, pick a really expensive piece of kit to replace, then decide that was not the problem after all.....dealers...???