Wiper Motor Juddering FIX

Danny

I think that there is no damage at the 1 o clock position and that it is just the lighting. But I will strip it down again in a couple of weeks.

If you are looking for a new unit, perhaps this pic could help with the part numbers that are on the label:

img0111wpd.jpg

CatmanV2

Cool. I was talking to my indy today, and he reckons it's an Alfa unit or similar. I'll send him the photo.
I have a 12k old unit from Davi Askew I'll be fitting, and then will see if the old one cannot be refurbed!

C

CatmanV2

Much wonderfulness. There was rejoicing in the streets of Harlow this morning.

I now appear to have fully functional wipers, thanks to the wonderful how to, and David Askew's supply of a new mechanism. Not a bad piece of work, but very glad I made sure I had a wiper arm puller. The passenger arm came off OK, but I had to put a 32mm spanner on the hand wheel of the puller to get the driver's off. *Probably* cos of the strain of still having them pressed against the glass.

Looks like my mechanism was actually broken. The OS mount point was broken, so that wouldn't have helped. The motor is good. I'll clean it up, re-lube and post it up if anyone needs it.

It's all wonderful. I'm just itching to go out, now!

C

mchristyuk

Also want to add my thanks to this "How to". My wipers would intermittently judder ever since I bought the car. As I've had some time off work I've done lots of the "little jobs" that had be queuing up to be done, with this at the top of the list.

Wipers are now perfect every time and it only took about an hour all in to do the job.

Many thanks Conaero!

Mark

CatmanV2

I have plenty on my Spyder, just ask, Ill send the car up!

Nah, that's OK, I think. I'm beginning to notice rattles. That should keep me occupied for a while.

It was bliss tonight. Virtually no misting, much improved screen scratches, working wipers *and* lights that point in the right direction :D

C

maser wales

Just bought a 2002 4200 and on the way home found it looks like I need to strip and lube the wipers. Could anyone tell me what is the best grease to use in the contact area?

CatmanV2

Just bought a 2002 4200 and on the way home found it looks like I need to strip and lube the wipers. Could anyone tell me what is the best grease to use in the contact area?

Congrats. Everyone will be asking for photos. Any non-conductive grease will do. I used bog standard general purpose. It's been fine.

C

SteveM

A few weeks ago I stripped the wiper mechanism down as suffering the same judder symptoms. Judder now gone thank goodness but now I get the situation where the wipers randomly go from normal to fast speed somethimes immediately on switching to normal setting but more often after 10 or so cycles at normal speed and then kicking in at fast speed. On some days it is just fine. I know its Italian but was wondering if there is something I might have done or anyone else experienced this?

CatmanV2

A few weeks ago I stripped the wiper mechanism down as suffering the same judder symptoms. Judder now gone thank goodness but now I get the situation where the wipers randomly go from normal to fast speed somethimes immediately on switching to normal setting but more often after 10 or so cycles at normal speed and then kicking in at fast speed. On some days it is just fine. I know its Italian but was wondering if there is something I might have done or anyone else experienced this?

Not heard of it. The only thing I can think that you've done is somehow cocked the finger contacts so they are no longer wiping cleaning on one track only. But I'm really not sure that would have the symptoms you describe. It sounds more like an issue with the switch.

C

sparkplug155

Well I have the jerky wipers when using flick and when also when I turn them of as they self park.

So I did a search and found this old thread. As I suspected it is a similar motor set up to my old Alfa 155 of many years ago that had the same problem - ie Bad contact between the electrical track and the contact tip. Having removed the wiper arms the motor still stops and starts so confirming it's the motor and not related to the blades sticking on the screen.

So while I'm in there I will clean out the leaves and change the pollen filter as I have one (Alfa 166) in my garage ready to fit.