Wiper Motor Juddering FIX

CatmanV2

Well I have the jerky wipers when using flick and when also when I turn them of as they self park.

So I did a search and found this old thread. As I suspected it is a similar motor set up to my old Alfa 155 of many years ago that had the same problem - ie Bad contact between the electrical track and the contact tip. Having removed the wiper arms the motor still stops and starts so confirming it's the motor and not related to the blades sticking on the screen.

So while I'm in there I will clean out the leaves and change the pollen filter as I have one (Alfa 166) in my garage ready to fit.

If it fits, can you let us know? I'm assuming it's cheaper than the Maserati part and would be good on the alternative parts.

C

BL330

Before expecting the worst, try the basics. Run your fingertips over the windscreen surface.
If it is not slippery smooth, then get some AutoGlym Glass Cleaner ( comes in paste form ) and hand buff the glass one or two times. This solved the problem of juddery wipers on a couple of my cars recently including the Maserati.

sparkplug155

Before expecting the worst, try the basics. Run your fingertips over the windscreen surface.
If it is not slippery smooth, then get some AutoGlym Glass Cleaner ( comes in paste form ) and hand buff the glass one or two times. This solved the problem of juddery wipers on a couple of my cars recently including the Maserati.

Mine is definitely the motor contact or more specifically the self park contact ring as it is stopping and starting with the wiper arms removed.

sparkplug155

If it fits, can you let us know? I'm assuming it's cheaper than the Maserati part and would be good on the alternative parts.

C
Hi Catman

Well I had about a dozen leaves to clean out under the scuttle panel. When I removed the pollen filter there was just a very small amount of broken leaf etc. Looks like the drain has been working okay as no signs of dampness.
The pollen filter is identical to the one in the car that was last fitted by Egham Marrenello. The Alfa part number is 46722335. Mine cost me £18.20 from Shop4parts. I also invested £6.91 in a 50 F1 relay. Those prices include VAT and a 10% for AROC members. Their selespeed pumps are currently £165 plus VAT.
I'm sure the wiper motor will be the same as one of the Alfa's but obviously the linkage will be different.

CatmanV2

Cheers

Filters are well known, but the wiper motor is (as you've found out) a week part, and I don't think we have an alternative

C

sparkplug155

Sorry yes I wondered if you meant the wiper motor.

The motor looks similar to the Alfa 155/145/146 units but I suspect the Maserati will be more powerful. As I recall my 155 always struggled with poor wipers.

This is a Fiat Doblo which looks very similar.

SDC13236.jpg

sparkplug155

Any idication on either as to its power rating?

Unfortunately not.

Further investigation shows the motor is a TGE 434T. The Maserati is a TGE 438C. Pity as the Doblo motor is about £60 from independent suppliers.

At least mine is working fine having degreased the contacts and a very light dressing.

Skid1769

Been looking at this post as I have judderry wiper she but only in the intermittent mode, would it be either the motor that needs replacing or just grease and clean of the linkages and the motor connections??

safrane

Yes it's the intermittent action that shows the fault as well as the 'flick' wipe...a good cleaning fixes it.

CatmanV2

Yes it's the intermittent action that shows the fault as well as the 'flick' wipe...a good cleaning fixes it.

...temporarily IME Don't want to be the voice of doom. Depending on how much you value your time, swap the motor

C