How did you pick your back boxes?

hunta

I hate to start another thread about the relative merits of the various exhausts and back boxes available, but I keep coming round to the fact that I'm not 100% happy that the sound my 4200 is making is the sound it could and should. I'm not concerned about performance (so long as it's no worse) and I don't want anything which howls, just a bit more burble on tick-over and a tad more throaty when giving it the beans.

So, all fairly subtle.

From what I've read the obvious starting point is to change the back boxes. Contenders would be Larini, Tubi or try and find a set of GranSport boxes and leave the valves open. Any views?

How do other people decide what's likely to give them the sound they're after? The last thing I want is to spend £££'s for something I don't like.

ENZ525

There are plently of members on here with a variety of different systems...
from aftermarket back boxes (valved and non valved) to full sports systems...
why not try to get to a few meets and listen to the different variations,
always best in person rather than the online clips.
I chose larini because I liked the quality and the sound.

hunta

Thanks Enzo.

Sorry, just realised I posted in the wrong forum. Is one of the admins able to move this to the 3200/4200 section please?!

hunta

Thanks Enzo.

Sorry, just realised I posted in the wrong forum. Is one of the admins able to move this to the 3200/4200 section please?!

Emtee

Hi Hunta,

I have a full Larini set up and have to say it's not for the faint-hearted.

I began with the cats, which came about out of necessity rather than choice, as they ain't cheap! This added flow and a better performance, albeit slight, but no volume. It did however add some resonance.

Then I added the H-pipe and back-boxes, which added further performance and a great deal of noise!

Taking DaveTaylor's experiences (you'll be able to search the forum to find the thread), for a subtle increase in volume I'd advise the H-pipe rather than the back boxes as the best first step. It's also the cheapest.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Cheers, Miles.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
My 4200 came with Larini sports cats and standard back boxes but was too subtle/quiet. I then had the back boxes replaced by straight through pipes (which cost about £350) to see what the car could sound like and then decide wether to go for Larinis or something quieter. I love the sound so much I'll be sticking with the straight throughs until I get pulled or it fails its MOT for noise. However, my local MOT station have said they will let it through as it sounds so nice! As Emtee says, a 4200 can make a fearful amount of sound so, choose wisely young man!

DaveT

Hunta

I have taken off my Larini back boxes and as Miles says am running purely the H pipe. The back boxes were just too much for me on a daily driver but I know lots of guys here have them and love them.
With H pipe, still very quiet around town but certainly more of a growl when you put the foot down and no cabin resonance.

I've felt a noticable performance gain as well.

Still have the back boxes here while I decide whether I stick with this set up or put them on - certainly leaning towards keeping them off the car.
As someone said earlier a meet is probably the best way to get a feel for the sounds you can get.

Good luck!

hunta

Thanks for the info guys. I knew I'd seen something somewhere about keeping the back boxes and replacing the centre section.

Dave, you say that the H pipe is quiet... do you have a feel for how it compares to the stock section?

Does Larini do both an H pipe and an X pipe? Is this what is referred on their site as 'Club Sport Centre Section' (looks pretty X-shaped to me...) and 'Sports Centre Section' (which if you squint might be perceived to take on a certain H-like quality!). From a scan of the Interweb it sounds like the X pipe might be a little freer-sounding than the H pipe, but more restrained than changing the back boxes. If so, that could be what I'm after (and I like the price comparison too BTW!).

Sorry for the questions... I appreciate that I really need to hear a car with the same set up to gain a proper understanding but up-front research is likely to save time-wasting later down the line.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Hunta, if it's your every day car the Larinis are probably a bit OTT. But if it's your toy, you have to go for them, believe me, they sound FECKING FANTASTIC!

sibradbury

Hunta, if it's your every day car the Larinis are probably a bit OTT. But if it's your toy, you have to go for them, believe me, they sound FECKING FANTASTIC!

Yes, Ian's Larini's sound fantastic - I keep thinking I can hear his car in the distance........

conaero

Forum Owner
Larini's all the way. They ain't cheap but you get what you pay for. I would start with valved rear boxes then add the mid if you want more noise. The major performance gains are from the de cat section, but with every bit you add the noise goes up!

DaveT

Thanks for the info guys. I knew I'd seen something somewhere about keeping the back boxes and replacing the centre section.

Dave, you say that the H pipe is quiet... do you have a feel for how it compares to the stock section?

Does Larini do both an H pipe and an X pipe? Is this what is referred on their site as 'Club Sport Centre Section' (looks pretty X-shaped to me...) and 'Sports Centre Section' (which if you squint might be perceived to take on a certain H-like quality!). From a scan of the Interweb it sounds like the X pipe might be a little freer-sounding than the H pipe, but more restrained than changing the back boxes. If so, that could be what I'm after (and I like the price comparison too BTW!).

Sorry for the questions... I appreciate that I really need to hear a car with the same set up to gain a proper understanding but up-front research is likely to save time-wasting later down the line.

Hunta

The H pipe gives a bit more grunt and roar under acceleration than stock but it is a subtle increase.
And yes, you have he difference between H and X correct. As I understand the X pipe will give a little more volume than the H but the main difference would come from the sports cats and most notably the back boxes which make things very much louder - too loud for me on a daily driver.

BTW you are doing the right thing by taking plenty of counsel - could save you from an expensive mistake!

Good luck

Elliott653

This is a good thread for me. My car is a daily driver. So, I think that I'll go for the X pipes first and see how I get on. I feel a bit silly for not taking the opportunity handed to me recently at The Ace to check out the various set ups on the cars.

:(

conaero

Forum Owner
This is a good thread for me. My car is a daily driver. So, I think that I'll go for the X pipes first and see how I get on. I feel a bit silly for not taking the opportunity handed to me recently at The Ace to check out the various set ups on the cars.

:(

I recently sold a Larini mid section to JMD, worth pm'ing him he might not want it.

hunta

Although my car isn't a daily driver (train for me on a daily basis :frustrating:) I'm definitely keen on something subtle. I don't want to be the scourge of the town, and besides the missus would disown me, so understated is the name of the game. I'm therefore definitely leaning towards the X-pipe only at the moment.

conaero

Forum Owner
Cant hurt to ask, he bought the de cat pipes and mid box and was only really interested in the performance gains, but took the mid box as part of the deal. It is the H box, not the X box, so it slightly quieter too.