Front grills nearly complete

petronic

At long last the front grills are nearly completed - now for the rear - fabricated in polished stainless - comments negative/positive welcome - Peteronic

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/nobby1028/IMG_3657.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

petronic

My original intention was to offer more protection to the radiator etc from "flying" objects!!! I noticed a member with a 3200 has suffered damge due to tbis - may not be 100% but it may stop a few stones etc - and I have had no problems with over heating etc. Reason for using screw/brackets is that all can be easily removed and restored to the original condition and for connecting a tow hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

conaero

Forum Owner
I did not even notice the lower grills at first until you mentioned about the tow eye, so based on that I would say it's a very good job as you hardley notice it.

RSM Masser

That looks good - much better than the original, I like the lower grilles sets it off very well, I have had a stone through water radiator and now the air con condensor is shot to!

Emtee

Great work Petronic. How far back are they set? The centre one looks like it's forward of the two side grills?

Em.

petronic

Yep the center is slightly forward - this was done on purpose - their is also a slight curve as well. As you are all aware the openings are quite flexable so rather than trying to use clips as the upper and lower inside lips are not above each other and may tilt the grill I used a simple solution - got 6mm number plate foam stickys - cut them in half. then cleaned the opening and stuck them (spaced) along the top and bottom of the opening. Then got my plaster board spiring toggle bolts - put the bolt though the grill attached the toggle and let it open inside the opening - screw up and the grill sits against the foam job done. The side openings the same procedure - the reasoan again for doing this is to prevent/reduce stone damage and allows the grills to be removed for towing etc - if required!!!! The rear grill will be the same - all polished stainless steel -= job nearly done. Also the SMART:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/nobby1028/IMG_3477.jpg

Emtee

A very neat and unobtrusive way of attaching the grills petronic. Hope the rear installation is as successful.