Becker Grand Prix

conaero

Forum Owner
This is bit of an odd one, but a few months back I upgraded the Becker head unit in my GS, with Auditorium, to the Becker Grand Prix unit, about £280 and has bluetooth phone connect and a separate mike, but no sat nav.

Anyway, fitted it, put a CD on, and was pretty unimpressed with the sound, flat or even no bass, and very tinny hollow sound, although it is much much louder than the standard fit unit (now in my Alfa)

Yesterday, I wanted to burn some music to cd from iTunes, so thought I would use the head units MP3 player as you can get loads of mp3's on one disc. Burn it, loaded it, blew me away!

So the whole point of my post is that I am of the opinion that the Becker Silverstone 6 stack in the boot, is a load of old tosh!

I simply could not believe how different the sound was, rich thumping bass, defined vocals, and crisp trebble.

Get the missus to get you one for xmas or your birthday:

http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/becker/becker/p~GP7990.html?cat=0

jpmondalek

Maybe get this and ditch the CD changer?

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/becker-i-pod-adaptor/14756/

14489.jpeg

conaero

Forum Owner
JP, I looked at that, but £94 for a cable, you can buy an Ipod touch for about £25 more, its madness!

jpmondalek

Total BS I know...but I love my music and hate my stereo...about to drop £400 on a Becker GP 7993 (Green to match the car interior lights) and the cable so I don't need to use the CDC.

jpmondalek

FYI, the unit fit like a glove and works like a charm.

No more random switching off, no more weak sound from CD Changer (now replaced with my iPod), easily paired with my mobile phone, and clean installation of microphone at the top of the driver's side A-pillar. It practically looks like it was designed for the car.

Thanks for the tip Matt. Money well spent.

If anybody else wants to upgrade their stereo in the GS, I recommend you start hunting for one, because supply is very limited, as Becker's audio unit appear to have pulled out of the UK market. Green backlit version (to match car interior lights) are particularly in short supply. If you want navigation, then you can go for some of their newer units, which I believe are more readily available and can switch back lights to a color of your choice.

conaero

Forum Owner
JP, glad you like it. Speakers next if your after pure sound, but the LE with auditorium are ok, find myself not using much....the V8 growl with Larini encore it more pleasurable on the ear.

Keep your old unit, then you can swap it out when you sell it and put the same thing straight in the GTS :auto11:

Paul L

Sponsor
Hi,

Just for your info, I purchased one of the ipod connectors from Becker on Ebay, £64.00 + PP from a German ebayer. New and working very well with my Grand Prix, no more CD changer in the boot.