Coolant/Antifreeze - Gransport

alexholmes

Hi, please can someone recommend a coolant for the 4200 engine. The posts I have found with a search recommend Paraflu 11 but are for the 3200. I cant find the recommended Agip Antifreeze Plus Ecopermanent for sale anywhere... I'm intending to do a Forte cooling system flush before changing just to make certain there is no incompatibility with the old coolant.

alexholmes

Thanks Parisien, it does but that doesn't mean a huge amount to me or my local motorfactors. When you do a google search for CUNA NC 956-16 it comes up with the illusive Agip. Is the antifreeze choice that important or should any good quality Ethylene Glycol based one be okay?

Parisien

As long as it meets the specification, maybe phone your local indie, they will know whats best and how to get it

P

alexholmes

Thanks again. Answered my own question by searching for the specs of paraflu 11 (appears to be fine for 4200 as well as 3200):

Paraflu 11 is a concentrated Etylen Glycol protective fluid for radiators. It is suitable for professional use. Paraflu 11 provides ideal protection for the cooling systems of cars, light and heavy commercial vehicles, tractors and earth-moving machinery.

Characteristics

The fruit of state-of-the-art experimentation at PLI research labs, the fluid responds fully to every prerequisite even in the severest operating conditions.

Mixed with 50% water, Paraflu 11 ensures:

Optimal removal of heat from the engine combustion chamber.
Maximum protection against:
Freezing (down to an outside temperature of -40°)
The formation of scaling;
Boiling in the summer months, in motorway pileups, in city traffic (circuit temperature up to + 110°);
Corrosion of metal elements in the cooling circuits (cast iron, aluminum, copper);
Over-bulking of the rubber and plastic elements in the circuit.

Specifications

FIAT 9.55523, IVECO 18-1830,CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REF. N°I002.C00, CUNA NC 956-16, ASTM D 3306 Type 1, ASTM D 6210 Type 1-FF

conaero

Forum Owner
Last time I went to buy antifreeze from my local factors, they asked be if I wanted blue or red!

It might sound daft but I think the colour of the stuff does reflect it's comparability.

Sniffer

Red has all the positive properties of Paraflu 11, but is available at Halfrauds.

Paraflu, like Selenia Racving Oil is actually a really old spec. Despite being blue in colour, Paraflu 11 is not Silicate (IAT) based, so it cannot be topped up with regular Blue antifreeze.

The red stuff is and OAT based antifreeze, and as previously stated lasts longer (5 y) will not degrade seals and hoses. and will not cause corrosion to an aluminium engine.

The thermal (cooling) properties of all colours are for practical purposes, the same.

The most important thing is to be sure NOT TO MIX TYPES. Flush out the engine with a hose and you will be fine.

Remember, if you under or over dilute, the antifreeze properties make it less efficient. It is sold in ready mixed form for those who find the 50/50 ratio mentally taxing!

Sniffer

14 litres according to the handbook. I put 7l of red Halfrauds antifreeze in and topped up with tap water from a water a softener.

RSM Masser

I better do that quick as just realised I am on pure water after a radiator hose split before Xmas.
Thats a lot of water!

voicey

The factory fill was a blue glycol based antifreeze. The most important thing is that you fill with the same stuff that is already in there - which might not be the same stuff that was put in at the factory! Once you've established what is in there then it really doesn't matter what brand you put in.

What is more important is regular coolant changes. Also, mix the coolant with deionised water - the last thing you want is the hard tap water scaling up the inside of the engine.

casadalloro

Blue thesedays is cheap for tractors.... should be using red or green depending on manufacturers spec to stop corrosion of internals...

casadalloro

Colour doesn't always equate to the technology used for the corrosion inhibition.

C

Its dosent always p, but usually blue is the cheap multipurpose stuff...always best to check the manufacturers approvals on the bottle match your spec....

Slowly

Blue thesedays is cheap for tractors.... should be using red or green depending on manufacturers spec to stop corrosion of internals...

Do tractors use cheap stuff? A quick Google shows John Deere 8400 guide price £240k. One wouldn't want to put budget liquids into something costing as much as two new QPs!