Radiator Fan problem.

Emtee

Hi Guys, Would appreciate your thoughts?...

Driving down to London today on the M1 through the contraflow south of MK and whilst in slow moving but tightly packed traffic, I drove over what I think was a wing mirror (everything else sailed over it, so I didn't see it until it was too late).

It got caught for a couple of 100 metres, during which time I indicated to try and get to the left lane, but it then cleared the undercarriage and not having any warning lights, unusual dial readings or scary noises I continued to London.

Once there I checked (as best I could) under the car and there was nothing other than what I took to be a slow drip from the air-con drain (was in the right place and was just a drip)

Left to return home this evening and no problems (including water temperature). Got back, dropped a colleague off at work, got some petrol and made a further stop for 'light refreshments' and it was at that last point that the radiator fans would not turn off, even with the key removed.

Drove the short distance home and the same thing again. I've had to dis-connect the battery for the time being until I can make some further investigations, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance....

AerosGS

Is coolant level OK? Is the AC working? As I understand it, the cooling fans generally respond to high coolant temp (not sure if you have a gauge) and/or high air conditioning circuit temperature...

Hope this helps.

M

conaero

Forum Owner
Miles...

Aircon when working will require the fan to cut in and out. Failure of the aircon system will result in the fan to stop working.

The fan has two stages controlled by relays which have a habit of going pop! I would check here first.

The fans run the same thermodynamic switch as the Alfa 156 and GTV and these are prone to failure. Only £15 from Alfa.

Hopefully this will give you some pointers to resolve your issue.

OzzieAl

Guys,

I notice my radiator fan relay cutting in shortly after starting up from cold, is this normal? Engine temperature has not even got close to normal operating temperature. Should I get it checked before something more significant happens..??

ozzie

OzzieAl

Hi Matt,

I checked that.. aircon is off being winter here at the moment... which made me think I should get the relay checked or simple replaced.. having said that knowing when aircon is off on these cars is never very clear.. I have assumed when both lights are off the aircon is down/off. which allows you to run just external cool air to the inside via the fan.

Am I right??

conaero

Forum Owner
From memory it's the other way round.

Econ light on means economy, ie aircon off, strange but that's the Italians for you!

The other light is the recirculation, whether it takes air from outside or recirculates the air from within the cabin.

lozcb

Been a thread on this before on MF i think , problem was as i recall the temp sensor , but as matt said worth checking and changing the relays aswell

regards loz

Parisien

Always an education to read over experiences and causes of some of these little occurrences...which I hope it is Miles!

P

Klive

Emtee I doubt this is your problem but it's a good thread to remind everyone of this.
At the bottom of the radiator on the coupe and GS is a thermal resistor. They have a habit of deteriorating after a short while. You can tell if this applies to your car as the radiator fans come on at full blast every time they're required. Normally they have various speeds.

Not too difficult to replace. Jack up and secure the front of the car. Remove the engine cover. You'll see the resistor in the middle of the bottom of the radiator. If I remember well it's 2 screws and 2 wires to remove it.
Here's a shot of a new one.
PC051393.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Emtee I doubt this is your problem but it's a good thread to remind everyone of this.
At the bottom of the radiator on the coupe and GS is a thermal resistor. They have a habit of deteriorating after a short while. You can tell if this applies to your car as the radiator fans come on at full blast every time they're required. Normally they have various speeds.

Not too difficult to replace. Jack up and secure the front of the car. Remove the engine cover. You'll see the resistor in the middle of the bottom of the radiator. If I remember well it's 2 screws and 2 wires to remove it.
Here's a shot of a new one.
View attachment 8846

Yep thats the Alfa one in a Maserati bag.

I think the Alfa one is £15 would be interested to see what the Maserati bag is retailing at these days.

Emtee

Thanks Guys, as always swift and helpful advice.

Is coolant level OK? Is the AC working? As I understand it, the cooling fans generally respond to high coolant temp (not sure if you have a gauge) and/or high air conditioning circuit temperature...

Hope this helps.

M

Hi Aeros, coolant level was fine and the temperature at the dial was correct, but yes yesterday was very hot in London and I was stuck for a couple of hours in typical London traffic, to the fans were working overtime.

So a quick SOS call to Geoff at Shiltech and in spite of having enough cars in the works to keep him busy until Christmas, he said to pop round and he'd investigate. A double strength cup of coffee courtesy of Sharon, a quick inspection by Greg, and some pleasant chit-chat along the way and the prognosis was the relay with the incident on the M1 discounted as a coincidence.

Got a call a few hours later and all sorted. Dodgy relay as a result of running very hot. Greg dismantled it (didn't know you could, but there you go), cleaned it and voila, a quick fix to get me back on the road whilst I get a replacement.

So at this point a big-up for the independents and dealers we mention on the forum and regard highly. Being my daily driver, there have been a few occasions where I've had to rely on them dropping everything and attending to my niggly tale of woe, and yet no grumbles and the job's done within a couple of hours. I wouldn't be able to own my Maserati without them. God love 'em and keep them safe from the Ferrari seven year service warranty and the Maserysler Grand Kubangokee.

lozcb

great stuff miles , glad its a happy uneventful ending , dont you wish they were all like thats

regards loz

Emtee

great stuff miles , glad its a happy uneventful ending , dont you wish they were all like thats

regards loz

Thanks Loz and yes, I have no problem with the biggies that come with these cars when you know they're coming; we all know a clutch and the majors are costly, but on the rare occasion something catches you unawares....... oh they can hurt.

Parisien

Excellent stuff guys.......glad to hear the daily driver....is still just that Miles!!!

P