Stainless Wheel Bolts

Spartacus

They did nt fly off . My mate Matt and I went to over tighten Bennys wheel nuts even more while he was at breakfast only to be disapointed to find that they had just fallen on the floor over night next to the wheel of their own accord.

...so we shat in his beaver hat instead ;P

StuartW

I didn't know about that, I hope there wasn't any serious damage apart from the bolt of course.

So is the consensus to stick the OEM bolts and just them re-chromed as and when they corrode? Seems a shame as they're clearly not the best quality
Thanks

Navcorr

Re: the original bolt quality - they are what they are, chromed mild steel, since chrome is porous deterioration in appearance is inevitable. However, SS is not the optimum choice for a wheel bolt - as per the other SS bolt thread why take the risk.

midlifecrisis

Well, I've had no trouble with my stainless steel bolts, they are set to the correct torque of 98Nm -/+10Nm (as per Owners Manual Page 155).

However, I do have my originals but they could do with re-chroming, any suggestions?

Navcorr

Well, I've had no trouble with my stainless steel bolts, they are set to the correct torque of 98Nm -/+10Nm (as per Owners Manual Page 155).

However, I do have my originals but they could do with re-chroming, any suggestions?

That's fair enough. The reported failure is not necessarily a function of torque setting though. There are numerous variables which could have contributed - tyre choice & pressures, shock absorbers, driving style, mileage, luck, etc. Anything which could apply additional stress beyond the capability of the material. Also there is always the possibility of a particular bolt having inherent weaknesses in its crystalline structure. Given the number of bolts that were made for the forum, presumably from the same batch of SS, which haven't failed this is probably unlikely. Which is why mild steel is used - there is a greater degree of "give" for a given load.

midlifecrisis

I don't think they were from the same batch but I get your point on the malleability of mild steel compared to the hardness of stainless...Benny wasn't driving erractically just touring when his failed and if anything was wrong with the car he would have corrected it, so I'd put it down to bad luck.

Still made me laugh that MAF pulled out his torque wrench at some shopping centre car park and we all checked our bolts...just to be on the safe side..

StuartW

All very interesting & every day's a school day. I do wonder now though had Benny's nut failed, so to speak, sooner if people here would have continued to go ahead and order & rave about the s/s bolts? In the absence of anything definitive, re-plating seems to make sense however

Corranga

Are there other options beyond SS that won't rust?
Why was SS chosen, is it just cost / it doesn't rust?

I've seen titanium, and alloy used on other cars.

I do recall replacing fixings on my Elise with stainless, but suspension bolts were simply zinc plated correct tensile mild steel for this very reason.

Navcorr

This has been my reason for offering an opinion - genuine concern that a number of you are driving around with a failure waiting to happen. Given the driving at the time of failure was "touring", i.e. relatively sedate, my best guess would be cumulative stress rather than inherent weakness. The only definitive answer that could have been obtained is if the failed bolt(s) had been sent for testing. The nature of the failure would have revealed the cause. Is that still an option?

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Whilst on the subject, if anyone needs new standard wheel bolts, Graypaul Nottingham have 7 going for £10.80 each, which is a large saving on standard. If interested, ask for Perry in spares and tell him I sent you.

StuartW

Whilst on the subject, if anyone needs new standard wheel bolts, Graypaul Nottingham have 7 going for £10.80 each, which is a large saving on standard. If interested, ask for Perry in spares and tell him I sent you.

4200 bolts I assume Mr D?

Gp79

planning to get my old bolts blasted and re coated with zinc, that should be cheap and last a few years.

Will use the same guys (Forgefinishing.co.uk in Tamworth) who did the rear subframe, blasted, galvanise then powder coat for a few ££

Team GCR

Are there other options beyond SS that won't rust?
Why was SS chosen, is it just cost / it doesn't rust?

I've seen titanium, and alloy used on other cars.

I do recall replacing fixings on my Elise with stainless, but suspension bolts were simply zinc plated correct tensile mild steel for this very reason.

I am still exploring the Titanium option but trying to secure my house move means I haven't devoted much time to it.....

Felonious Crud

Administrator
Staff member
Hill Engineering sell a lovely looking set of titanium bolts for £340. Well, I say set. 10. But they do look very good.