Dead battery?boot access

chris4200GT

Hi, can anyone help !!
I have a flat battery on the 4200 so cannot gain access to the boot as I only have one key that won't work the lock (not even sure if it needs WD or the lock is kaputt ), so how do I get into the boot ? Is there a pull cable under the back seat and if there is how do I access it ??
Sorry to sound like a numpty !!

safrane

The lock will be full of crud and thats why it will not turn as the fit is very tight.

Push down ******* the boot lip to take the tension out of the lock and gently wriggle the key.

Best of luck

chris4200GT

I've tried but to no avail, (nervous of breaking key...only got one).
Wondered if the best way was taking out the parcel shelf, I've looked and it seems fairly straight forward

conaero

Forum Owner
The fuel tank and the rear bulkhead are there so not going to happen. Its via the lock or a gas axe I am afraid.

If the lock is done, then get a lock smith maybe, they should be able to remove the barrel and manually open the boot. Good luck, your going to need it!

chris4200GT

Thanks all, I'm in !!!!
Sh*t or bust tactics, the key didn't snap. (Note to self :buy some WD40)

conaero

Forum Owner
As Peter says, drown it in WD40, press hard down on the boot lip and wiggle the key, from memory, if you look up at the lock, it rotates anti clockwise to unlock.

Failing that, the way into the boot for least damage will be by cutting a hole in the spare wheel well, its made of plastic and unbolts (from the inside), but you might have to drop the diff to get to it.

Then you could craw through it, if you do go that route, make sure you get a vid of you doing it, hilarious!

Good luck

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
If you can get inside the car, can't you introduce some power through the ciggie socket?
I've one of those ciggie socket to ciggie socket jump charger thingies!
cheers
Mike

lozcb

Thanks all, I'm in !!!!
Sh*t or bust tactics, the key didn't snap. (Note to self :buy some WD40)

Note to self Chris , get a 2nd key soon as , and as Safrane says drown the boot lock in WD then apply grease into the mechanism by loading the key with grease and keep working it in at least 10-15 times and then you'll never have same trouble again

regards loz

lozcb

If you can get inside the car, can't you introduce some power through the ciggie socket?
I've one of those ciggie socket to ciggie socket jump charger thingies!
cheers
Mike

I wouldn't recomend that ,You really would have to be careful what loading your putting through the cigarette lighter socket , be very easy to blow a fuse or fuses

regards loz

conaero

Forum Owner
How about calling out an auto sparky, get him to find the wiring in the fuse box in the passenger footwell and put 12v across it, that should work.

If you do get it done can you make a note of how to do it and postit on here?

alfamaserman

I wouldn't recomend that ,You really would have to be careful what loading your putting through the cigarette lighter socket , be very easy to blow a fuse or fuses

regards loz
It is possible to use a battery conditioner [CTEK or similar] via the cigar socket on a 3200 but not on the 4200.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
It is possible to use a battery conditioner [CTEK or similar] via the cigar socket on a 3200 but not on the 4200.

Is that because the ciggie socket is only live with the ignition key?...if so, even if flat, you can still turn the ignition key to the first position, can't see why it won't work!
Cheers
Mike

alfamaserman

Is that because the ciggie socket is only live with the ignition key?...if so, even if flat, you can still turn the ignition key to the first position, can't see why it won't work!
Cheers
Mike
It is my understanding that the socket has to be live without the ignition on at all [as on a 3200]. I wouldn't risk charging with the ignition on in any position - however I'm not an auto-electrician! The 4200 does have a socket above the battery - no good if you're locked out.

conaero

Forum Owner
There must be a main live feed from the battery in the fuse box. Disconnect this, attach a charger to this and the other to the body maybe, but I would want and auto sparky to do it for me though, otherwise you will fry something.