Called the RAC

toomanyhorses

As I hadn't used the Mas for over a week, it struggled to start the other day, so had to trickle charge it for a couple of days.
Drove it today, the first time since having to recharge the battery, and my first stop was a filling station a few miles away.
After filling, it wouldn't start. Very embarrassing, and had to get some kind chap with an SLK to give me a push out the way, as I was holding the whole of Wiltshire's refueling up! Tried a few times again, but it still wouldn't start, and the battery was starting to get low again.

As the RAC guy arrived, I tried again, it struggled a bit, but fired up! Even more embarrassing, but a relief. He tested the battery, which, obviously was a bit low on charge, then got me to turn off and try to start again. It took ages, but with his battery attached also, eventually started but smelt very fuel rich and still smelt as though it was running rich after a while of running. He had no suggestions but to replace the battery.

When I got were I was going, I was worried about stopping. When I tried to start, sure enough, it wouldn't. So, I flicked off the battery isolator for 30+ seconds and went through the "reset throttle" process. I did it twice for good measure, and all seemed fine, starts and got me home fine.

Do you think it was purely that the battery had got low enough that a reset was needed in the first instance, so was running too rich, etc, and would struggle to restart, or would a struggling battery give intermittent fueling, starting issues in itself?

Any thoughts?

Parisien

I think once the battery is on its way, best to replace, preferably with a slightly higher amp output.

Mine just gave up, that was that, wouldn't hold a charge etc.

P

toomanyhorses

I think once the battery is on its way, best to replace, preferably with a slightly higher amp output.

Mine just gave up, that was that, wouldn't hold a charge etc.

P

The RAC tried to check if I had the correct battery, and which to replace it with. Both his laptop, and his book didn't list a 4200 or a Gransport! Everything else but! Which "bigger" battery model did you get, as I'm going to get one anyway, if just to rule it out?

Emtee

I've not let the needle get anywhere near low before, but it was very close this time, so could have been...

This could be it then, particularly in this cold weather. It takes a while to push the petrol through after refuelling, and in the meantime the throttle ECU can get confused. Don't stake your life on the info-centre mileage reading either, it's only a guide. Let us know how you get on, but I hope it's nothing more than that.

Regarding the battery, take a look at the Bosch Silver plus S5.... 77Ah, 780A. Correct dimensions, but watch your knuckles when swapping over as it's a tight squeeze, and be careful of the relays above.

toomanyhorses

That could well have been it. Needle wasn't right down, in fact I remember it being possibly lower the day I bought it from the dealer!

Shall get the Bosch Silver plus S5.... 77Ah, 780A

Thanks chaps... again :D

Emtee

When you say low, in the red sector? Often drove it in the red, never a problem

P

From memory you get the red light at around 50 / 60 miles remaining (dependant on type of driving) and you loose the info-centre reading at 30 miles remaining, but given the thirst of these engines I now always refuel at the red light after learning the hard way. :( :(

lozcb

As I hadn't used the Mas for over a week, it struggled to start the other day, so had to trickle charge it for a couple of days.
Drove it today, the first time since having to recharge the battery, and my first stop was a filling station a few miles away.
After filling, it wouldn't start. Very embarrassing, and had to get some kind chap with an SLK to give me a push out the way, as I was holding the whole of Wiltshire's refueling up! Tried a few times again, but it still wouldn't start, and the battery was starting to get low again.

As the RAC guy arrived, I tried again, it struggled a bit, but fired up! Even more embarrassing, but a relief. He tested the battery, which, obviously was a bit low on charge, then got me to turn off and try to start again. It took ages, but with his battery attached also, eventually started but smelt very fuel rich and still smelt as though it was running rich after a while of running. He had no suggestions but to replace the battery.

When I got were I was going, I was worried about stopping. When I tried to start, sure enough, it wouldn't. So, I flicked off the battery isolator for 30+ seconds and went through the "reset throttle" process. I did it twice for good measure, and all seemed fine, starts and got me home fine.

Do you think it was purely that the battery had got low enough that a reset was needed in the first instance, so was running too rich, etc, and would struggle to restart, or would a struggling battery give intermittent fueling, starting issues in itself?

Any thoughts?

This has happened a few times before , what the problem is, is the fact that you were so low on fuel the pressure drops so the maf sensor over reacts and over fuels the engine, hence the restart problems ,so rule one never let the tank get that low again,

2ndly the vacuum caused in the tank and the subsequent re-fuelling causes another set of problems , if it happens again as before do the reset , then open up the fuel flap and close it several times

regards loz

regards loz

2b1ask1

Special case
Loz; does the fuel flap run through the ECU then? Isn't it jut a simple solonoid citcuit; this would be reasonable as there is no warning light when it's open?

lozcb

Loz; does the fuel flap run through the ECU then? Isn't it jut a simple solonoid citcuit; this would be reasonable as there is no warning light when it's open?

I think the pressure in the fuel tank, and its sensor is transmitted through the ecu and can cause engine cut out , or failure to start or restart generally after fueling, im not 100% sure but i think im right , more so on the 3200's , real moral fo the story is keep the tank level as high as you can , even on long journey's i never let my tank below a quarter full , i think in both of mine only ever had the light on once , the rate at which these cars drink fuel one cant really trust the quantity left when travelling at 100mph plus , i keep a carefull eye on the number of miles covered per tankful as a better guide

regards loz

2b1ask1

Special case
Ok so take the top off a few times not release the flap? That makes more sense now. Also cold fuel into a warm or hot tank will pressure up PDQ. Sage advise all round Loz thanks, I did get down to vapours in Belgeium last summer and i did get a splutter after restarting but nothing more thankfully.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
That could well have been it. Needle wasn't right down, in fact I remember it being possibly lower the day I bought it from the dealer!

Shall get the Bosch Silver plus S5.... 77Ah, 780A

Thanks chaps... again :D

I'm not happy with my current battery, and have fitted the Bosch S5's to a couple of my past and present cars, so will be buying a Bosch for my Maserati. Looking at the options, there is also the slightly more expensive S6 model available in the correct 096 battery size. Whether its worth the extra dosh though over the S5..

Parisien

Just make sure size right, and terminals are on the correct side...:)....amperage higher too?

P

simonc

Any thoughts?

I had a similar thing happen, struggled to start after a refuel. It sounds like the fuel vapour valve being stuck open can may be a potential source of these these symptoms as well

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/sho...-worse-when-filled-with-fuel?highlight=vapour

Simon

toomanyhorses

Thanks gents for all your pointers with this. If it happens again when not low on fuel, then I'll check the fuel vapour valve, thanks for the heads up there Simon.
I think it probably was down to low fuel, though the reset probably helped. It's been fine since. I worked it out that I did a guesstimated 20-25 miles in the red, so won't do that again, as I think that must have been it, not helped that my battery obviously is getting weak, and as it's a Fiamm battery, probably the original, so I've bought a Bosch S5 096 77ah.
I haven't fitted it yet, as had plenty to do indoors in the warm, and, as you can see, it's cold outside!

Attachments

• frosty.jpg
    frosty.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12

Parisien

Nice one TMH!

When I changed mine, I think took the whole side lining section out to make it easier, mind the knuckles and relay panel nearby...ie just take your time.

P

toomanyhorses

Is there a correct reset procedure that I should be doing after fitment? Or just the same as you do for the throttle reset?