NIT units or What's in the arm rest of a 4200?

davidhowson

The aerial input is on the right hand side of the back of the NIT. Above that is the grey plug for the GPS antenna and on the other side is the green input for the GSM 'phone. The white connector at the bottom is the CAN BUS connection.
On the left is the power connections, the speaker outputs and at the bottom the CD multi-player input and more telephone inputs (microphone and privacy connector):
On the underside there is the connector which goes to the dash screen and on the front the single slot cd and the SIM card reader:

Attachments

• CIMG5522.jpg
    CIMG5522.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 131
  • CIMG5520.jpg
    CIMG5520.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 128

2b1ask1

Special case
I keep getting drawn back to this thread...

Has anyone successfully swapped out the NIT unit in a 4200 for a modern system, retaining the old screen number pad perhaps and what impact has this had on the CAN BUS connections or infomation such as trip/range?

All of the black conectors on the back are standard DIN connnections and will accept parrot and Loudlink connections without problems but I'm not wanting to clutter my vehicle dash with a parrot system. I'd dearly love to get away from the outdated navigation as well, even to incorporating speed and laser alerts etc.

2b1ask1

Special case
I use a US military spec Rugged PC for my inspection work and I used to have a dock mounted in my onld Merc with everything running through it giving my bluetooth, Audio, video and WiFi on the go through the car speakers... more tech' than they flew to the moon with!

So I have no fear with building a solid state car-PC in the place of the NIT unit it is just making sense of the data being sent to the system from the car and what impact any disconnection may have?

It is all the silly stuff like heater information you stand to loose....

safrane

Its a type of PC so you must be able to up-grade it...if you know about these things.

Easyplan66

does the telephone work on a separate sim card or can you get a duplicate of your mobile sim so that it's the same number?

safrane

Again sadly you cant get duplicate SIMs...however just divert the phone if not answeared to your car and vice-versa

spkennyuk

Great post David. I've been trying to understand what connections are available on the NIT unit. The Parrot kit as i understand it allows you to play music as well either from your phone or sd card or usb stick. I like many have been trying to figure out how to upgrade the in car functions without spoiling the interior of the car. My first thought was a video switch box with a more modern ice system hidden install in the car but displayed on the factory screen possibly something from the pioneer avic range f500bt or 6000nex. The main problem with that would be how to control the pioneer unit without the benfit of a factory touch screen.

The functions that i actually want the Parrot system seems to offer with the exception of up to date sat nav. I can always use my phone for that instead so its not a deal breaker. The question is can you see any reson why the display for the Parrot system can't be fed via a video switch box to the standard in dash screen ? The parrot controller is wireless so you would still have control at your fingertips and in your chosen location. Even if you still had to fit the parrot screen it could be out of sight keeping the dash standard except for the wirless controller near the arm rest.

I dont have enough knowledge of either the Magneti Marelli system or the Parrot system to understand if any of the above is possible but i'm hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.

CatmanV2

Yes. Neither the Parrot display nor the NIT display use simple video cables, as far as I can tell. Who knows what protocols either use. The odds of them being the same are, I suggest nil. They certainly don't use the same connectors so *at the very least* you'd need to change the plugs before you can even test it. Who knows, it might just work!

The other thing I'd suggest is that the Parrot will look clunky as **** on a big screen. Its designed for that little screen and works well.

I wrote a how-to on parrot installs.

C

safrane

There is a long post on Maserati Life (US forum) on converting the screen to a Alpine touch screen whilst retaining all the OMU looks and functions.

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
There is a long post on Maserati Life (US forum) on converting the screen to a Alpine touch screen whilst retaining all the OMU looks and functions.

Yes and if you research more, it is possible to use the original screen with other media devices.
I was looking at adding a module so the original screen can be used with a back up camera. There are universal modules available that I am sure could be integrated, but a little over my head on the electronics side!

EDIT: for GT & QP http://car-solutions.com/en/car-video-interface-for-maserati.php
and possibly for 4200 http://car-solutions.com/en/universal-rgb-high-end-car-video-interface-with-pip-function.php

spkennyuk

Thanks Safrane. I shall have a look on maserati life for that thread. There is a youtube video with a pioneer unit installed instead of the OEM screen but i suspect you loose the original functions and screen information.

spkennyuk

Put up the money and I'll test it for you. :)

C

Thats a kind offer Catmanv2. I'm still waiting for a delivery date for my car yet and i'm sure for the first few months I will be content listening to the V8 and enjoying the car and trying to supress that v8 inspired grin.

Hopefully i'm only a week away from picking the car up but it takes as long as it takes and in the end will be worth the wait.

CatmanV2

Thats a kind offer Catmanv2. I'm still waiting for a delivery date for my car yet and i'm sure for the first few months I will be content listening to the V8 and enjoying the car and trying to supress that v8 inspired grin.

Hopefully i'm only a week away from picking the car up but it takes as long as it takes and in the end will be worth the wait.

It will indeed :)

C

spkennyuk

Hi Catman

I understand from the specs that the parrot screen has an SD card reader in it. Do you know if it will read music files and track titles from there rather than an Ipod/IPhone. My current in car music selection is on a small usb hard drive read by the blue and me system in the Alfa. My phones Android and I don't tend to keep music on it so the usb port or sd card would be the better option for me. Seems to be a few good offers around on the parrot kit at the moment. so I may take the plunge sooner rather than later.